Puerto Vallarta is a city in the State of Jalisco, Mexico. It is located on the Pacific Ocean side of the country, that is, on the west coast. Check out our map. Why choose Puerto Vallarta?
Panoramic view of Puerto Vallarta and the Banderas Bay
- PV or Vallarta (as locals call the place) is a city located on the Pacific Coast of Mexico in the State of Jalisco within a large bay called Banderas Bay (Bay of Flags) or Bahía de Banderas. Check out the map.
- The city is 3 hours away by plane from Los Angeles, and just over 4.5 from Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Chicago, New York & Toronto. More air flight distances.
- Puerto Vallarta is on the same latitude as Hawaii and enjoys nearly perfect weather all year long.
- Situated on the West coast of the state of Jalisco, between latitudes N20°27’00” and N20°59’00” & between longitudes W104°55’00” and W105°33’00”, 2m above sea level.
- Vallarta is a true Mexican traditional town and offers beaches, jungles and a city full of attractions, restaurants and activities.
Puerto Vallarta is 220 miles West of Guadalajara (by land, this distance is shorter through Mascota, but takes about the same time because the road has many curves), south of the state of Nayarit and 548 miles NW of Mexico City. In a straight line it's 670 miles from San Antonio and 1,100 miles from San Diego.
The French organization, "The Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club" and UNESCO consider Banderas Bay to be one of the most beautiful bays in the world. So Vallarta finds itself in select company, along with Quebec City in Canada, San Francisco in California, and Santander Bay in Spain.
Banderas Bay is also one of the world’s largest bays, measuring 26 miles from east to west and 20 miles from north to south. The bay is limited to the North by Punta Mita which is also the end of the Sierra de Vallejo mountains and, to the south, the bay ends in Cabo Corrientes, part of the foothills of the Sierra del Cuale mountain range.
Puerto Vallarta is the second-most visited tourist destination in Mexico, (only Cancun has more visitors), attracting over 3.5 million visiting tourists per year (2011 data), and has served as an unhurried refuge for people seeking more than just a beautiful beach, there is a sizeable colony of United States, Canadian, and European citizens living in the city.
Map shows the location of the city and its position within the Banderas Bay. Click on the image to see a full map and details.
Hundreds of flights per week, service PVR's International Airport, from gateways throughout the US, Canada and Mexico.
More on flights to Pto. Vallarta.
So where is Puerto Vallarta located then?
It's located on the Pacific coast of Mexico, in the state of Jalisco, 350 km west of Guadalajara, south of the state of Nayarit and 880km (548 miles) NW of Mexico City.
Read & learn more: