converting money

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru
No U.S.

Post by helenf » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:26 pm

It never is a good idea to exchange your money twice. Just exchange Cdn directly to Pesos and use the ATM to withdraw as well.

Helen

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm

That's what I thought but sometimes they give you a better rate in pesos for the US dollar.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:04 pm

chrisnick...you should never change you CDN into US dollars...you lose money in the process...buy a few Pesos before you leave and then use the ATM's to withdraw Pesos as you need them...sonofdob.

pvfunlover
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvfunlover » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm not positive but I think right now the loonie is getting more pesos than the US dollar is. I'll let you know for sure next week.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Yea, I hate to do that and like I said I'll mostly use by debit card. Its weird now when you go and get US (I live very close to the US border) and you get more US for your $. The bars where I go in the states (curling bonspiels) have been giving us par for a few years but I'll change my money to US as I'll actually get a better deal then if I used my Canadian there.

sunlover
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sunlover » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:08 pm

It was so weird today at the bank. I got a few 1000 small pesos and some US dollars for tipping and it cost me less than the amount that I got....when our money was this good 35 years ago, I couldn't afford to travel, then kids, etc. so in all the times we have been to Mexico, this is a FIRST.

I like all other posters prefer to use the debit card or credit card cause then you get the days rate for exchange. Never had a problem in many many trips to Mexico.

Off on Sat...count down is really on now!!!

Now to find the beach coverups....where are those damn things (put them away where they would be easy to find!)

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 pm

ChrisNick......when I checked out my currency broker here in BC they were exchanging 1 CDN $$$ for 11.40 peso.

I agree wtih the others who said don't convert to USD and then peso.
Go CDN to peso.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Cambio

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm

In my trip report I noted exchange rates.

On the south side specifically you were getting for the most part 10.4 pesos to the USD and between 10.3 and 10.55 on the CAD (depending on what cambio you used) at the casa de cambios. I was getting between 10.9 and 11.1 through the ATM on the CAD.

I didn't bother checking hotel desk rates as they're traditionally so lousy.

Some of the bigger exchange places in the hotel zone and some of the banks were on par with the real-time exchange rates (ie: CAD exchanging better than USD), so be discerning.

Take enough pesos to get you through day one and then go find your rates. And once again - do NOT do a triple exchange. Not only do you lose money on the 3 way exchange, you would be losing even more because the CAD is exchanging better against the peso than the USD.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:33 pm

I personally would lose track of what I've spent if I just kept taking out of the ABM - last trip we brought only CDN and exchanged it as needed...we make sure to spend almost all of the Pesos before we leave or else leave it for the maid...

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:04 pm

I think i'll just exchange a few dollars before I leave at my local CAA office and the use the ATM machines. Its easier. Do you have to pay the tour operators in US funds? Canadian Funds? Pesos? We'll probably use Scotts Adventures the week I'm in Bucerias with the hubby and kids and then one of the PV opeartors the week I'm in PV with my girlfriend.

Thanks!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:19 pm

chrisnick wrote: Do you have to pay the tour operators in US funds? Canadian Funds? Pesos? Thanks!
Tour operators will usually take USD or Pesos...but if you pay in USD you will get Pesos as change.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

$$$

Post by Jennybean » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 pm

I've always paid for tours in pesos. The confirmation sheet you usually get when you put down your deposit (in pesos) usually shows the total in pesos.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 am

again...as a Canadian, if you buy and then pay in U.S. funds you are losing money...you already own Canadian dollars so just buy Pesos and make money...I also note the tendancy to buy U.S. dollars for tipping...why, so the Mexicans can lose money as well ? Use the favourable position of the Canuck Buck to get more Pesos to the Dollar and pass on that benefit to those you tip in more Pesos...sonofdob

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by chance » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:54 am

As of today I have to leave tomorrow rate is 11.10 for cdn