converting money

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

escape to PV!
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
converting money

Post by escape to PV! » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi All,
I have seen some posts in the past in regards to converting money prior to departure (sometimes weeks) and was wondering what the advantage would be. Also, does anyone know how I can go about finding out what the conversion rate is? I leave for PV tomorrow for a week with 4 of my girlfriends and I can't wait!! If anyone is going down after the 13th I will apologize now for the tequila shortage they will experience!! :D
Thanks for the info!

corolla03
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Converting money

Post by corolla03 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:50 pm

There are so many exchange places in PV--even at the airport. I would wait until you get there to do it. They post the rate--usually right in front or on the wall.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:22 pm

escape to pv...save yourself the hassle and your money...just take pesos out at the ATM's...but be sure to use only bank ATM's and of course maybe have a little cash on hand when you arrive...say 500 pesos...sonofdob.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Exchange

Post by Jennybean » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Since the airport renovations there are no casa de cambios there anymore, only ATMs.

Right now with the fluctuation in both the US and Cdn dollar, you can find some places with favourable exchange at home to change some money to get you through the first day before you get there. After that, plenty of casa de cambios and ATMs around town once you arrive.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Not a worry...

Post by oneistwo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:05 pm

We bring a couple hundred in dollars for a reserve, then change maybe $100 at the hotel desk just for the first night. Then we stock up on pesos when we pass an ATM. The card is also good for grocery shopping (limes, etc.), and just like in the US, you can get cash back at the checkout. It's gotten to the point we don't worry about having the local currency in hand any more than we would at home.

I see, however, you're going in a group. Insist that your buddies get their pesos too. While dollars are accepted everywhere, splitting a bill when half the group has dollars and the other half has pesos can become a nightmare for the poor schmuck who understands the currency and is therefore appointed to figure it out (That would be me, once, but never again).

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:25 pm

sonofdob..Hope you enjoy your PV vacation.. Oct 7th?
and thanks for your help on the other side.. :D

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Dollars to Pesos

Post by Jennybean » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:28 pm

I see, however, you're going in a group. Insist that your buddies get their pesos too. While dollars are accepted everywhere, splitting a bill when half the group has dollars and the other half has pesos can become a nightmare for the poor schmuck who understands the currency and is therefore appointed to figure it out (That would be me, once, but never again).
Oh man, you get stuck with that too? I feel for ya! :lol:

Luckily my usual vacation crowd all knows enough to use pesos, and the last group I went with is still scratching their heads at me because I went "on strike" when there was a USD/MXN debacle. Ever watched someone after several bottles of Argentinean Malbec try to do long division on a napkin? I recommend you take a video camera...it's YouTube worthy. LMAO

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:41 pm

My bank charges a high fee for buying foriegn currency, but there is an ATM at the airport (SFO) that will issue pesos at the going bank rate. That way you have money in hand for taxi etc.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Plus4...yes, we head down to PV Oct 07 via Air Canada...looking forward to it as we have not been back for a couple of years...your welcome on the otherside...your heading over there in Nov I understand...I'll be there in Feb...sonofdob.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:16 am

I know you will enjoy PV again sonofdob..
Tomorrow eve. we are having a booking party (will be official then :) for Nov 23rd.)
Decided to go with our friends to Akumal. Of course will go into Playa..
Will do some posts on the other side.. :)
sonofdob ...Take lots of pics of your PV trip and do a little report please.. :)
Think Banco Walmart will have pesos..
:D
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hBX ... zl58dJ-tCw

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 am

The only problem I see here is that JennyBean can't spell: "Favorable" is NOT spelled "favoUrable". Look it up! Thre is no "U" in it at all :twisted: . Sorry, Jenny. Chuck... 8)

hahahahahahahahahaha :twisted: :twisted: worlddominationhahahahahah

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:00 pm

DELETED

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:00 pm

We usually come down with a fist full of $1 bills for tips and tight negotiations when we are dickering with some of the vendors... a few big bills for the new blanket, the jewlry we get from Eddie on the beach etc... otherwise we use the bank ATM's to get our pesos when we are downtown, and if i need some pesos right a way, i just exchange at the resort. I guess if the ATM is giving me 11 pesos to 1 USD and the resort is giving me 10.80 to 1 USD... i am not going to sweat it... not worth it...

just my 20 centavos for you...

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:07 pm

hmm...favour, neighbour, honour...just kidding...we know you don't use the "U" in the ole U.S. of A...seems to me you also drop the "gh" alot...night vs nite ? Plus4...I am quite anxious to see PV again and visit all my old favourites...you will love Akumal, you staying at the ABR ?
Second longest barrier reef in the world runs down that coast and at Akumal you can swim right out to it from the beach, but we can discuss that more on the forum on the otherside...there is a web cam on that beach at locogringo.com sonofdob.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:20 pm

mexibeach ..Thanks for the wishes :)
sonofdob we were to book gran bahia principe today..prices went up 160 per person over night..will watch for them to come down again..

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:03 pm

hmm...favour, neighbour, honour...just kidding...we know you don't use the "U" in the ole U.S. of A...seems to me you also drop the "gh" alot...night vs nite ?
We kept the King's English here in Canada and spell it correctly.. My old English teacher (that old battle axe) used to say we kept the 'u' in because we thought of others, not ourselves, but her first language was Ukranian so I don't know if she knew the truth either. You get what you pay for I guess.

My best guess is that with the literacy problem being so huge in the U.S. , the official writers of their dictionary figured the best way was to cut down on the number of letters in each word, thus making it easier to figure out. You ought to see what they did to the word cheque. They just gave up and got rid of them.... substituted ATM.

Cheryl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Cheryl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 am

What card are you referring to. Can I just use my usual Bank Debit Card for exchange.

We leave on the 13th...just trying to get some last minute help.

Thanks....can't wait! 1st Timer:)

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Cheryl wrote:Can I just use my usual Bank Debit Card for exchange.
As long as you have a four digit PIN you can use it to withdraw pesos from the many ATMs.

Valerie617
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Valerie617 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:44 am

The exchange rate at the airport in PV last week was $1 USD = 10.40 pesos. Right before you exit the airport - in the area where all of the car rental counters are, there's a place to change money on the left - next to the exit door.

Our hotel, Paradise Village, had an exchange rate of $1 USD = 10.50 pesos.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:14 pm

With the Canadian dollar soaring in value does it pay to exchange your money to US before you go to PV? I mostly plan on using my ATM anyway and don't you get current bank rates when you use the debit card?