Layover in Dallas - your help is needed

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan
Layover in Dallas - your help is needed

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 am

Hello all,

I booked a flight out of Newark on American Airlines. We currently have a 4hr layover in Dallas, however American Airlines has another connecting flight out of Dallas which is only a 1 hr layover (with a termival change). I am debating if I should switch my flight. Based on your expierance would you suggest switching to the 1 hour layover? My only concern is if my flight is delayed out of Newark, would I have enough time to catch my flight. Now I know it would depend on how long of a delay and I know that AA is notorious for flight delays. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are leaving the last week of May so the weather shouldn't be a problem....

Is there anyone out there that has traveled on aa from Newark to PV?

Thanks in advance :D

shawnie
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by shawnie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

I just returned from PV and the Dallas airport is huge, but since you are traveling in May and the weather is not a concern I would want the less layove rather than the more. I was glad to have the more with the snowstorms that we had to allow for. But in May I would attempt the switch.
Just an opinion. Shawnie

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 am

shawnie wrote:I just returned from PV and the Dallas airport is huge, but since you are traveling in May and the weather is not a concern I would want the less layove rather than the more. I was glad to have the more with the snowstorms that we had to allow for. But in May I would attempt the switch.
Just an opinion. Shawnie
Did you have to switch terminals? If so, how long is that process? I'd assume you would have to go through security all over again. Did you fly aa? I've always taken a direct flight to my destination so I'm not familiar with the connecting flights.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Layover

Post by Jennybean » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:55 am

Is the layover one hour going down, or coming back? And does the Newark airport check your luggage all the way through to PV or not?

2 very important questions...if you have to re-check luggage AND switch terminals, an hour would be beyond risky. Even without having to deal with luggage I would highly recommend you view a map of DFW and determine how far it is from one terminal to the next - don't forget that hour includes the time from touchdown and taxiing to your gate...your clock begins to tick when your wheels touch down, not when you come to a stop. By the time you reach your gate and can disembark who knows - you might have 30 minutes.

On the way back through DFW, any layover under 2 hours is insane because of the size of the airport and the security clearances and collection/re-check of luggage required.

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 am

last august we flew thru DFW connecting to PVR on AA - i had same decision
as our layover was only 50 minutes. got a few opinions and decided i'd
try it, as i figured if we missed it, there were 2 other flights to PV that
same day. also knew we had to move to other side of airport, but tram
system at DFW is fast.

so we land and a stewardess says, 'those connecting to PVR follow me
rite now off plane'. our small group was first off plane, directly off plane,
down stairs to tarmac, onto AA shuttle bus, through middle of airport
to our PVR flight, up the elevator and among the first to board our PVR
flight.

some of the best airline service i've ever received.
good luck with your trip.

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Layover

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 am

Jennybean wrote:Is the layover one hour going down, or coming back? And does the Newark airport check your luggage all the way through to PV or not?

2 very important questions...if you have to re-check luggage AND switch terminals, an hour would be beyond risky. Even without having to deal with luggage I would highly recommend you view a map of DFW and determine how far it is from one terminal to the next - don't forget that hour includes the time from touchdown and taxiing to your gate...your clock begins to tick when your wheels touch down, not when you come to a stop. By the time you reach your gate and can disembark who knows - you might have 30 minutes.

On the way back through DFW, any layover under 2 hours is insane because of the size of the airport and the security clearances and collection/re-check of luggage required.
The layover is going down to PV. I spoke to some at aa today and they told me we do not have to re-check our luggage but I forgot to inquire about what is done once we get off the plane and connect to the other flight.

If we miss our connecting flight, I know there are others but if the next flight (four hours later) is full then that can turn into a really looong layover. I wonder if the airlines wait on flights that are coming in late, knowing there are passangers that need to board - coming in from the connecting flight.

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:58 pm

I'm not sure if this makes a huge difference but the layover in Dallas is actually 1hr, 15 minutes. The other option was a 4hr, 45 minute layover. Maybe that 15 minutes makes a difference?? :roll:

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

DFW layovers

Post by marcos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:34 pm

DFW has trains between terminals. You are probably leaving for PV from terminal E (I think) which is the International Terminal.

In any case, the wait for your train should not be more than 2 minutes. And the length of the train ride s/b no longer than 5 minutes. There are, I think, 2 entrances per terminal for the train station so the walk to/from the gate to the train s/b no longer than 5 minutes.

In other words, you should be able to make it from your arriving gate (once you get off the plane) to your departing gate in under 15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Well low and behold...we have decided to keep our 4 hr, 45 minute layover in Dallas. We figured since we are staying in Puerto Vallarta for 8 nights, we might as well check out Dallas while we are there. Maybe hit a BBQ Pit or something close by. Any suggestions??

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:48 pm

caribgal112 wrote:Well low and behold...we have decided to keep our 4 hr, 45 minute layover in Dallas. We figured since we are staying in Puerto Vallarta for 8 nights, we might as well check out Dallas while we are there. Maybe hit a BBQ Pit or something close by. Any suggestions??
Thank you for all of this information. You and everyone else on here has been so helpful. I almost changed my mind and went with the 1hr layover but I guess it would nice to see a little bit of Texax before we head to PV. I'm so excited about this trip. It will be our first time in PV!!!

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

DFW layover

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:50 pm

For anyone else flying thru DFW--Marco is correct- the airport has
automated trains between all of the terminals-very efficient and very
fast-also the airport has ambassadors on duty usually. Two years ago
we flew from OKC to DFW-changed planes to Mexico City. The
ambassador was at a desk on the concourse; he told us which train
to take, which stop to get off, and the distance from the train to the
gate. Super service

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 pm

As a Dallas resident who flies out of DFW, I will say that you've made the best decision. If your bags are checked from origin all the way through to PVR, then all you'll have to do is get yourself from the gate where you land to Terminal D, which is the International Terminal. And what a terminal it is! I love it and it is such an improvement from before, both leaving and arriving. And as noted above, with the easy train system in the airport and the helpful Ambassadors, you should have no problem making your connection.

Not that I would not invite you to "see Dallas", but honestly in 4 hours, you wouldn't get very far. The edge of Dallas proper is actually about a 30 minute drive east of the airport, with Ft. Worth about the same the other direction. DFW's closest "city" is Grapevine, which is growing by leaps and bounds and has a gazillion new restaurants not too far from the airport and I know I've seen a BBQ joint over there.

But, the intent of this trip is to get to PV and if you're like me, once you're "on the road", you'll be anxious to get there. We invite you to come back to Dallas another time, when hopefully you can give your full attention to our thriving Metroplex.

Happy Trails!

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:25 am

How close is Grapevine from the airport? Are taxi's easily accesipble back to the airport?

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Grapevine is just to the NW of the airport, a couple miles from the north exit. Yes, there are plentiful taxis at the airport and if I bet you could arrange to have them pick you up whenever you were ready to go back to the airport. Or they could at least give you a number to call to get a return taxi. The taxis are licensed to certain cities so I'm not sure if the same one could bring you back, but you could ask.

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Perfect! Thanks. I think we are leaning towards keeping our flight with the 5 hr layover. As long as I know there are things to do in Texas (outside of the airport).

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Ok, if you're set on BBQ, here's a link to BBQ places in the area. I can't comment personally on any of them (those specific locations for the chain ones), as I haven't eaten there. But you can read the comments given:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Gra ... X&cflt=bbq

I personally like Spring Creek BBQ, but the first one or two, being "local" places, may not provide much in atmosphere, but may have the best food. That's often the case anyway.

Aside from eating, there's also Grapevine Mills Mall, if you're of that inclination. They do have a Rainforest Cafe that's kinda fun to eat at. The downtown Grapevine is a bit historic and I've heard it's nice to visit, but again, I don't get over that way much except to go to the airport. There's also a huge resort/convention center that I've heard is really something to walk around in and see. It's called the Gaylord Texan. I know they have restaurants there too. Google for more info.

Whatever you decide to do, hope you have fun. And yes, there are lots of things to do in Texas. It's a very big state.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 am

Tom and I flew on AA from DSM to PVR through DFW and back and had very good luck going down and coming back. This was probabaly the best non-direct flight we have ever had. We had 1 1/2 hours going down and that was plenty even leaving 15 minutes late from DSM. Coming back we had about a 2 1/2 hour layover and by the time we went thru customs, got our luggage, we had time to get a bite to eat and then headed home. On the way down, we were able to walk to our next terminal. On the return we used the Skylink and it was very easy and quick. No matter what, have a great vacation and enjoy!!

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by caribgal112 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 am

Thank you so much! I can't wait....so excited about our trip!

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm

As luck would have it, hubby, Mom and I were out in Grapevine and Southlake this past weekend for an appt., so we drove around a bit. The downtown Grapvine has been restored and it very nice with multiple little shops, restaurants, coffee/dessert places and wine bars. BTW, Grapevine is known for producing some good TX wine. There's an old rail station and an old log cabin that have both been restored. So you can just walk around and check things out if your so inclined.

Back to the BBQ, hubby was saying that a friend of his told him that the BEST BBQ place in the world was there and he wanted to try it out. He didn't know the name, but knew how to get there. So we said "you're driving" and we ended up at Bone Daddy's, which is a chain smokehouse. Mom and I laughed, as we'd eaten at one in another city. Even though the food was good (hubby deemed the BBQ very good), I think they're better known for their cute young waitresses in skimpy uniforms. At least I gathered that from the hoards of men eating there. ;)

caribgal112
PV Fan
PV Fan

Thank you

Post by caribgal112 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 am

Thank you Deb! You have been wonderful providing me with all of this information. Not only do I look forward to PV, I also look forward to Texas!!! :D