tipping in canadian dollars

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

shade 45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
tipping in canadian dollars

Post by shade 45 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:07 pm

hello all
were new to this fourm, and are going to pv march 16th for two weeks with our three daughters. The question we have, is it okay to tip with canadian money or should we always use peso's or american money.

cheers

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Gratuities

Post by smitty » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi shade45 and welcome to the board . :) There is a very good thread on tipping at the top of this section . Most folks will tell you it is best to tip in pesos . That said - I doubt anyone will refuse a tip in Cdn or US funds ! :) Just remember Canadian or US coins are useless in Mexico - only paper currency is convertable to pesos . Good luck with your trip and remember to treat us to a trip report when you return !

shade 45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

tipping

Post by shade 45 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 pm

thanks for the info

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:44 am

shade 45...with all due respect, your in Mexico...the currency is pesos...would you accept Yen, Rupees or Pesos in Canada ? Get pesos from the ATM and spend, spend, spend !!! sonofdob

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:03 pm

I used mostly pesos but i found it interesting that some of the tours were cheaper if you used american dollars....whats with that???? They were not cheaper for me since I only $1 bills for tipping. Same for our massages at the hotel. My friend paid as she did have american but it was $70 USD for two massages or 770 pesos.... Not sure why. Plus the canadian dollar was at least par with the american at that time.

I will still just use the ATM next year and use pesos as I thought I got a better rate then bringing cash and converting it in PV.