First time to PV/Nuevo Vallarta

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lauras_planet
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First time to PV/Nuevo Vallarta

Post by lauras_planet » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:19 am

Hi all!
I am just looking for any advice etc for my trip to PV (actually staying in Nuevo Vallarta at the Villa Del Plamar Flamingos).

Has anyone stayed here?

Is it best to exchange a few dollars here in the US first for a bus or taxi to the hotel? Or should/could I exchange at the airport a few dollars? Just looking for the best logical way to do this. I never even thought of converting my dollars over to pesos until I got on the forum so MUCHOS GRACIAS to you all that talked about it!

From reading the posts it seems bus is pretty easy to navigate and cheap. Is it possible to go from the airport to my hotel via bus, or would it be faster to take a taxi. Not sure about renting a car if I plan on being on the beach most of the time.

Although I do want to potch and wander through downtown PV as well.

Wsa thinking about the small island tours but from some reads I dont think I will be happy with it. Going to look for some hiking to do without a "guide" showing me...map yes, personal guide no. :)

Any thoughts and advice is much appreciated and I cant wait to get there!!! :D

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:33 am

i can comment on the bus question. i ride the bus everywhere when I am down there...except to and from the airport. I can only speak about my experience, I did take the bus to the airport once and found that although cheap, it was probably better to take a cab. depending on how much luggage you have, the buses can get very packed, people standing in the walkway ect, ect... I guess it depends what time you arrive as well. you can always walk across the bridge and check the bus as it pulls up, if it is packed, you can grab a taxi right there as well. If you are going to take a Taxi, I would suggest that you walk across the bridge anyways and catch one across the street, you will save yourself a few bucks. the taxi's that come out of the airport are much more than the ones on the street. I'm sure you will get some sound advise on this as well as your other questions from the others that make the journey down south.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:29 am

You don't need pesos to take a taxi from the airport to Nuevo Vallarta; in fact, they automatically quote you a rate in US dollars when you approach the taxi window inside of the airport. I always bring a large stack of dollar bills for tipping. Makes it easier for me.

Sounds like you read the thread about exchanging in US or Mexico. If you decide to arrive in Mexico with only dollars and your credit/debit cards, would not worry about it. You can always use dollars, but the individual businesses may not give you a favorable exchange rate. I'm sure there are cambio places (exchange houses) in Nuevo. The place at the airport does not give a very good rate.

Today, Wells Fargo Bank was giving 13.3 pesos per dollar, and if you have an account there, no fees. I am tempted to exchange some dollars for my trip in a few weeks.

Sally

lauras_planet
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lauras_planet » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for the information so far I really appreciate it and it helps!

I did think the same about the bus situation from the airport to the hotel and luggage and people so will probably opt for a taxi. Thanks for telling me to cross the bridge first to get one instead of right out of the airport!

Like the fact that dollars for the taxi is ok as well! :D I have read the Cambios in the airport give decent rates on the currency exchange, think I will check with my works credit union and Bank of America to exchange some before I go just to have on hand.

I have been reading also that places in Nuevo dont rent chairs to sit on the beach...does everyone go to Walmart or the Mega and buy them then? I have heard to bring my own soft pillow too, LOL will definitely do that.

Anything else anyone can think of bringing besudes my camera my swimsuit let me know. We get in at 3 or 4 in the afternoon Wed and leave the following Monday, I want to make sure to see things as well as have it be relaxing!

Are Las Caletas and the Marietas Islands worth going to and seeing. I read some negative comments about how its so scheduled about when you can and cant do things...cant I just take a water taxi there and do my own thing?

Is the Los Murietas beach where I read to get a water taxi close to Nuevo Vallarta?

I am so excited to go!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:25 pm

About the water taxi from Nuevo to downtown PV, it picks people up at the marina near the Paradise Village resort in Nuevo. I think the drop off point is the pier on Los Muertos Beach in Old Town PV.

I've never done the Las Caletas nor Marietas tours. I've been to Yelapa; was not that exciting to me. Some people seem to enjoy it. I would rather do something active--- hiking, zip line tour which could also include swimming in a river.

Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen!! Would also consider binoculars.

In Nuevo, the oceanfront resorts and condo buildings all seem to have their own chairs on the beach. There are also some restaurants along the beach (between Paradise Village and the Mayan hotels) where you can get food and drinks along with a chair under a palapa. I am not familiar with the area north of Paradise Village. Perhaps others can comment? Where are you staying?

Sally

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Your resort will have beach chairs/loungers. They do not rent them they are for the use of the guests. Unless you are at a restaurant or a hotel you are going to be in the sun all day with no shade (remember the sun is more intense in PV because you are closer to the equator).

I am not sure you will get a better price by hauling your luggage across the bridge to catch a taxi. The taxis in Jalisco cannot pick up fares in the state of Nayarit (where Nuevo is). I am sure they are going to factor that into the price they give you as they will not be able to catch another fare coming back to PV. The airport taxi's are federally regulated in price and are not allowed to bring people back into the airport so it doesn't matter to them, they get the same fare no matter what.

The Marietas is an island but it is a marine and wild life preserve. There is one very small beach (if the tide is out) that you can go on, the rest of the island is off limits so there is really nothing to do besides snorkel there. Las Caletas is privately owned by Vallarta Adventures and you are not allowed to use any of their facilities unless you are on one of their tours.

If you are a customer of Bank of America you can use the ATM's at Santander Serfin bank with no fees.

lauras_planet
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lauras_planet » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Sally thank you so much for all the info!! Its going to help me with my trip there thats most definite!

katnsocal your info is also great, I love the fact of knowing about BofA down there!

I knew the marietas island was a preserve thats why I wasn't sure about going there, I dont want to damage it. ANd I have seen the Vallarata Adventures website but the reviews are so hit or miss so I am not sure on that.

I grew up in Phoenix and have been in Missouri for the last 10 years so I can't waut to get to the sun and sand! Will have sunscreen and great comment about binoculars! I wouldn't have thought about it, its on the list now!

Here is my dumb question, if I use BofA atm down there do they give you your currency in US dollars or Mexican? LOL! I am such a tourist already! So this is great I can go there feeling a little less like a "green" gringo!

This forum rocks!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Travel Questions

Post by smitty » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am

You will get Mexican currency from a Mexican ATM - remember the exchange rate when you withdraw - $20 US is around $240 pesos .

lauras_planet
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lauras_planet » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:50 pm

OMG it just keeps getting better! Thanks Smitty! and thanks for not laughing at that question, LOL!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Laura,
Just remember when you take the money out of the ATM you are taking it out in pesos and not dollars, so if you entered $100.00 you would only get the equivalent of a little over $10.00 US, depending on the exchange rate that day. If you wanted the equivalent of $100 US you will have to put in $1000.00. I still use the 10 to 1 just for the ease of doing it in my head. $1.00 US = 10 pesos, now that it is 13 or 14 something $1.00 US equals $1.30/1.40 something in pesos.

Just wanted to warn you, you should have seen the look on my face the first time I tired to take $100.00 out and I got 100 pesos. :o Then I went :roll: well stupid how do you feel! :D

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:18 am

kind of like the look on my face when i got my bar tab! it said something like 310.00 and i thought, wow i need help, i don't remember drinking 310.00dollars worth of booze. turns out it was only 31.00 usd.

lauras_planet
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lauras_planet » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 pm

OMG thank you for that I can jsut see us out drinking and getting a bill thinking holy buckets we drank more than we thought...that is funny I can justsee that expression everyone has the first time without being informed of it!

I think I will still be stumped at converting and remembering how much to take out of the atm, guess more is better right!

Has anyone done any of the deep sea fishing tours? My bf wants to try that while I want to do the whale watching and the Las Caletas Island.

Ten more days till we depart...I think we are already hooked and planning to come back next year!