Anything we should know for our visit 9/30-10/6?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Anything we should know for our visit 9/30-10/6?

Post by luvthis » Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:42 pm

Hola,
We are arriving this Sunday & want to know:
1) How bad are the bugs right now? Do they just appear at dusk or are they pesty all day?
2) How much rain has there been lately? Has it been pretty contained to late day & evening or has there been all day wash-outs?
3) Is the water very cloudy from the run-off of the rain?
4) Is there anything going on that shouldn't be missed while we're there. This is our 4th visit since 1999.
5) Anything else we should plan for before we come?
Can hardly wait to get there and we're old (+50). Just little kids at heart, I guess. Thanks for any input. We are staying at the Crown. We just love it there. Great resort!

tzpx
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Anything we should know for our visit 9/30-10/6

Post by tzpx » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:52 am

I was there two weeks ago & yes, the water was murky from the runoffs. the beaches up north were much better. The water overall was quite warm. Humidity was high, but should be getting better. Rain occured at night but that also should be diminishing. We weren't overly bothered by bugs ( one was, one wasn't). Daytime was sunny, hot & humid & one has the same concerns as always (start w/ spf 30 & work your way down).

If you are a member of Sams Club, bring your card. Also, the Waltons next door to Sams is now open. Between Sams, Waltons, Megafoods and Gigantica - one wants for nothing. Much less worry on what to bring as if it is forgotten, it can be easily replaced.

Exchange rates varied from 9.65 - 9.85 / dollar.

Prices seem high (which we noticed last March), and seem to be holding even with the lower tourist volume. The last great bargains remain eating out (excellent restaurants all over), vanilla, alcohol (if one imbibes) and PV itself.

There's more & more activites for those not interested laying around a pool.

For email, find a place with a T1 hookup. Otherwise, be patient.

My feelings on visiting Yelapa are "forget it", although others have greatly enjoyed their experiences.

Enjoy.

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Anything we should know for our visit 9/30-10/6

Post by luvthis » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am

Thanks for the info, BC. We are considering doing the ecological tour. It's an all day tour that goes into the hills, but am somewhat concerned about the bugs & high humidity. I love "creatures" & am curious about seeing the turtles & gators, etc. Still deciding about it. We have done the horseback riding in Puerto Vallarta in the past. Got really hot, sweaty & smelly, but had a fabulous time. We've never done Yelapa, but have heard that when the rain run-off has happened the snorkeling stinks. A few years ago we snorkeled with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. What an experience!! Thanks again.