1st trip to PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

franknbeans
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
1st trip to PV

Post by franknbeans » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm

Hello All,
My husband and I have decided to take a trip to PV. We are recent empty nester and work for the local baseball team. :D Therefore, we were thinking about going in October to celebrate the empty nest and the end of baseball season. So my question is...Is October a good time to go. I read it is the end of the rainy season. Do the hotels have full staff year round or do they have an off season?

franknbeans

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:53 am

pv in october is excellent. the weather is still hot but the humidity drops a bit. not very crowded yet, easy to get into restaurants, except some are closed before the high season onslaught begins...

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:02 pm

I think it would be nice (Nov is the earliest in the winter season i've been down myself).

Puerto Vallarta hotels most all run pretty much year round. They might have lower rates or more vacancies, but I am not aware of any that close outright (some restaurants do close off-season but not enough to negatively effect your trip).
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PEMCO
PV Fan
PV Fan

Bring Cheese

Post by PEMCO » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:32 pm

If you are not staying at an all-inclusive resort, you might want to consider bringing your own supply of cheese. Many mini marts have American cheese, but few have cheddar or swiss. When I travel to PV, I always bring some snacks, canned vegetables, and Sweet & Low or Equal. Upon arrival, I go to the Supermarket and augment my groceries. I seldom go all-inclusive, so I have a supply of sodas and juice in my timeshare unit. I go out for one meal per day and I alternate which meal, depending upon my activities for the day.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Cheese

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:17 pm

Not necessary to bring cheese anymore - WalMart, Gigante, Mega and especially Soriana all carry an excellent wide variety of cheeses now in their deli departments. Swiss was very easy to find last Oct/Nov, so was Havarti, Mozzarella, Cheddar, and I even spotted Emmental in amongst the varieties of local Mexican cheeses.

Lots of imports are now widely available at any of the supermarkets noted - everything from beer to foodstuffs, juices, meats, cheeses, processed foods, dairy products, etc etc etc. I found the widest varieties available at WalMart and Soriana - Soriana especially.

For the OP - October has long been my favourite time of year to go to PV. It's not yet too busy, the weather is marvelous, and the deals are cheap as the hotels haven't moved up to high season pricing yet. Hotels will have full staff, however as noted, some restaurants may not yet be open for the season, as many close for periods over the summer into the fall. Generally by November 1st everything is open again.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: 1st trip to PV

Post by rossk » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:37 pm

franknbeans wrote:Hello All,
So my question is...Is October a good time to go. I read it is the end of the rainy season.

franknbeans
We last visited PV in Oct 2004, and are going for 9 nights this year, mid October. I don't recall many places still closed from the summer season, and the crowds were light everywhere, with the possible exception of the Malecon on Sunday night, but of course, the local flavor there is the center of the fun.

At the Presidente, it was 10% full, and this year we're at a condo on Punta Negra, also expected to be nearly empty. Almost no rain, tho pretty warm and humid. Everything is green, I think it's the most beautiful time to visit.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

October trip

Post by poppy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:41 pm

October is a great time to go. Not too busy. Your hardest decision is where to stay and what you want out of your vacation. I am in Nuevo Vallarta. I have a beachfront condo there; we are driving down in October and will only be there until Nov 14. Coming back in Jan/Feb. Let me know if I can help in any way. 8)

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Bring Cheese

Post by poppy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:49 pm

Sam's Club, WalMart, Soriana in Pitillal all have huge selections. Also, Rizo's in town has things from the States that you can't find anywhere else. I think I bought swiss cheese in July, but I don't remember which store. And now there is a new market being built where the Krystal festival used to be so there will be more grocery shopping for people at that end of the beach south of the Marina where the cruise ships are.

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:24 pm

My travel agent told us that October was a great time to go because there is very little rain that month (compared to Sept) [storm]
And it is the end of rainy season...so its a good time to go! Lots of [sun]

Anyways, whatever time of year, you will love PV!
Have a great time!

8)

lttlnative
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: October trip

Post by lttlnative » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:01 am

poppy wrote:October is a great time to go. Not too busy. Your hardest decision is where to stay and what you want out of your vacation. I am in Nuevo Vallarta. I have a beachfront condo there; we are driving down in October and will only be there until Nov 14. Coming back in Jan/Feb. Let me know if I can help in any way. 8)
Hi, We will be going down on Sept 6th-13th any suggestions what to do first. ( not a whole lot of money) heard about listening to a time share presentation and getting a free catamran (sp) trip?

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:57 am

You don't have to spend oodles of money when you're in PV. Take a walk down the Malecon (seawall of sorts), check out the market under the bridges in the downtown area, go for breakfast at Fidencio's right on the beach on Los Muertos (little place beside the tropicana hotel). You can go to a mexican supermarket called Rizo's and check out their wares. If you walk around, you can find nifty little restaurants that are pretty cheap and provide good food.

You can take the public bus out to Mismaloya for the day, and likewise for other places. If you want a ride on the water perhaps, a trip out to Yelapa would be enjoyable.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:53 am

save money by eating at the taco wagons on the street. if the locals are eating at them, trust that they are good, way cheaper than eating in restaurants for lunch and dinner!!!!

lttlnative
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: 1st trip to PV

Post by lttlnative » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:48 am

[quote="franknbeans"]Hello All,
My husband and I have decided to take a trip to PV. We are recent empty nester and work for the local baseball team. :D Therefore, we were thinking about going in October to celebrate the empty nest and the end of baseball season. So my question is...Is October a good time to go. I read it is the end of the rainy season. Do the hotels have full staff year round or do they have an off season?
franknbeans[/quote

Hi I wanted to let you know we just got back from PV or Nuevo Vallarta.
It was beautiful.
We were there 8 days on the 7th night it rained only at night that night. from 1am-5am and the sun was out and around 90 every day.
Take a look at my pics on line and let me know if I can help in any way with questions.
The Decameron in nuevo Vallarta is a great place. it is all inclusive! food,drinks, none motorized equipment. check it out
at www.decameron.com.mx
Also take a look at my pics!
www.imagestation.com/members/lttlnative

godaloveme
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by godaloveme » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:32 pm

wow !!!!
great pic's thanks for sharing !!! :D

Weezie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Weezie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Glad you had a great time. Now you know what we were talking about. It 's the best.

franknbeans
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by franknbeans » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:35 am

Thanks for all the info and the pics are great. We are leaving in 20 days and I can't wait. Now our hardest decsions is what to do ?

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Go with the flow and decide when you get there. I never make any pre arrangements, but that's the way I handle everything. Really pisses the wife off because she is so organized, talk about opposites. Lucky for me that when she is on vacation all she want's to do is veg out at the pool or the beach. Leaves me with plenty of time to try to drink up the liquore supply at the GCP.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

timeshare

Post by susan p » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:23 pm

It's your call, but I wouldn't go to a timeshare presentation for anything. Vacation time is too precious. That said I have never done organized activities that cost a lot of money, and I have a fantastic time on PV... every time!
________
Maine Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by susan p on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Definately no TS presentations for me. I've turned down so many even a $400usd which I still think the guy was pulling my leg. Vacation is too short and 90 minutes ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) could seem like an eternity in Hell.

franknbeans
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by franknbeans » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 am

no timeshares for us. i don't care for those kinds of things. i have been watching the weather. do you think the rain will slow down in the next 14 days?