Where can you catch a water taxi?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

roowie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Where can you catch a water taxi?

Post by roowie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:56 am

And where will they take you? I saw a video on youtube about the "Yelapa water taxi", that looks like it is an all day excursion including lunch and drinks? Is this a day tour, or is it just transportation to get you to Yelapa? Are there other tours with different destinations, like can you take a water taxi down to the area where the market and malecon are?
It looks and sounds like fun, but I do not recall seeing any water taxis on our previous visits. We will be staying at GCP, so any help with these questions, and any other info, like prices would be greatly appreciated.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:09 am

i think you can catch a water taxi from the marina. for sure you can get it at the pier on los muertos beach. high season i think there are 3 morning departures. takes about 45 minutes. nice beach and swimming at yelapa. fun to stay for a few days. there are a couple of beach restaurants and the pie lady walks around. definitely worth a day trip. the taxi costs apprx. 20 bucks depending on the exchange rate.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:29 pm

There is also a water taxi from Nuevo to the Los Muertos Pier. And there are many day and night excursions from the Marina to select from.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:00 am

The water taxi's are NOT a tour. They take you from point A to point B with a couple of stops in between. Once you get to Yelapa you will be on your own to explore the village, have lunch on the beach/or in the village, take a hike to the waterfall or ride a horse up there. It is a great little village to visit, accessible by boat only, but sadly not for long. A road is in the planning stages and then IMHO the village will lose its charm.

roowie
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

thanks for the replies

Post by roowie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:57 pm

I was trying to ecide on whether to visit Yelapa for the day, or do the "Las Caletas" tour thru Vallarta Adventures. I like the sounds of a day relaxing in Yelapa, and have read mixed reviews of the Vallarta Adventures trip to Las Caletas. If anyone has done both, which did you prefer? I am leaning to Yelapa.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:32 pm

i've done both, the water taxi is no frills, gets you to yelapa in less than an hour from the los muertos pier, the adventure trip stops at the los arcos for snorkeling, then to a couple different beaches. you don't stay at one place very long. they're fun, but not the most relaxing. depends on what you're in the mood for, either way you'll have fun, especially if you like to swim in the ocean.

jjbcroft
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by jjbcroft » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:30 am

Is Yelapa the place to hook up with the "Pie Lady"? I've read rave reviews about her over the past couple of years, and I think it's about time we try it out!
Thanks,

JJ

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 am

Yep, the pie lady/ladies are in Yelapa. If you don't want to go that far to get their yummy pie you can go to the shop they now have opened across from Rizo's grocery store on the south side, but if you do that then you will miss seeing Yelapa. If you want to see Yelapa and you have never been there I suggest you go now before it changes any more than it already has. When I first started going there they had no electricity, no internet, it was very remote. Not so anymoe and plans are already in the works for a road to Yelapa which will totally ruin the remote atmosphere of only being accessible by boat.