Where do you like to stay?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Poll ended at Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:47 pm

North Zone
3%
Nuevo Vallarta
6%
Marina Vallarta
26%
Puerto Vallarta Hotel Zone
32%
Downtown Puerto Vallarta
No votes
Zona Romántica
23%
South Zone
10%

Total votes: 31

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:47 pm

A new poll, this'll give people the chance to defend their favorite locations and will give an idea of what is interesting in each area. I personally like the Marina zone. The thing is I normally go to Puerto Vallarta by car from Guadalajara, so distances there aren't much of an issue, the Marina is nice because there are great hotels (like Velas Vallarta :-)) and the Marina has lots of restaurants and shops too, good to go there for a stroll. I find the area more relaxed, less traffic, more green and very quiet.

If in doubt regarding the zones: http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_d ... ctions.php

And the difference between Downtown and Romantic Zone: http://www.puertovallarta.net/images/ma ... antica.gif

Mogens
Webhamster
Last edited by webmaster on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Zones

Post by stew » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:07 pm

As one who prefers to stay up in the hills in small places overlooking downtown & the bay such as Los Cuatro Vientos, Casa Kimberly, Ritamour & other romantic spots I feel you need another choice!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

What area is that?

Post by webmaster » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi Stew,

I think the area you mention is included in the ones mentioned, but that's why you have the option to add a reply too. I mean, we could make the poll real large and complicated (specially to the newbies) by adding Pitillal, Conchas Chinas, Mismaloya, Tomatlan, Cruz de Huanacaxtle, etc. etc. Maybe next poll around we can make it that way, for now general areas is a better idea, no?

Greetings

Mogens

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Poll

Post by stew » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:55 pm

You are probably correct. I sometimes forget I have traveled on foot almost every Inch of PV (El Central, Old Town & the Hills anyway) over the last 20 years. Many of the wonderful folk here have not had the opportunity or time to do so.

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

favorite place to stay

Post by chi-mike » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 pm

my wife and I both prefer the romantic zone. we've stayed in the marina, hotel zone, old town and south area. the romantic zone reminds me of a small town, yet you can walk to just about anywhere within minutes. on our last trip we took a bus to the paso ancho area to look up some rentals we found on the internet for future considerations.not knowing exactly where we were going we took the pa bus down a dusty road and all at once the driver stopped the bus and got off,and went into a house leaving us in the middle of nowhere. we started walking back toward town and we eventually found a bus returning to town. we are returning to puerto vallarta on Nov. 28th and one of my first objectives is to find paso ancho. I also want to check out the cuatro vientos hotel. I've heard good things about the hotel and restaurant and the view, I hear is beautiful.

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: favorite place to stay

Post by stew » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:01 pm

I also want to check out the cuatro vientos hotel. I've heard good things about the hotel and restaurant and the view, I hear is beautiful.
The Four Winds (Los Cuatro Vientos) is straight up tke hill on Calle Matamors the street directly behind the Church. Also a few doors down is Ritamour. I have stayed with Gloria at The Four Winds off & on for 20 years. It's charming but no frills such as TV.AC, or room phones. The best room IMO is 3-F with a nice view of down town & the bay. Also they have the deepest & Coldest pool in all of Mexico. The El Nido ( Roof top bar) has a most wonderful view of the sunset. The original owner (Elena) was a very large lady & needed a pool to exercise & cool off on the hot days, but had little room for it. So it's small but DEEP! Ritamour is a bit fancier & is owned by a lovely lady who was a long time visitor at Los Cuatro before building her inn.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:51 am

I guess our vote for the marina area is because that is where the GCP is at. :) but it is also good for all the water tours to Las Caletas, or Rhthym of the Nigts, any of the Marigallante tours... and then it is a short distance to Christines, a quick walk downtown etc... so it is wonderful.. there will come a day where we may try another area or get a condo some day... We have stayed out in Nuevo Vallarta for years as well, but that is when it was easy to bring my golf clubs down and go to Los Flamingos every morning and get 18 in by noon... it was fantastic at Hotel Sierra...

talk to you all soon...

Tom

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Where do we stay?

Post by ronald » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:01 am

We have stayed at the Allegro in Neuvo (once) but our regular haunt is the Melia which is in the Marina district. When we have our kids with us, we have to stay at the Melia, because it is the most kid friendly place I've ever been at, period: it has so much to offer, they really look after your kids, and I'm basically a lazy guy. Plus there food is great. They have a great daily variety, it tastes like the stuff we eat at home, and the booze is not watered down. The block walk to the Marina is really easy, and there are some nice places there to eat, drink, laundry, and the internet shops.

That being said, we stayed at the Allegro in Neuvo last year when the Melia was totally booked, and enjoyed it immensely also. It has a beautiful beach, and a great mall down the street with everything you might want to buy, but it is out of the way, and the trips to the Malecon, or anywhere for that matter start to add up, (even in pesos).

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 pm

Marina, GCP. Seems to be a conveinient location, quick trip to almost anywhere. Lots of good resturants, cambios, farmacias, and within walking distance to large supermercados.
Last edited by chuck on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Location, location, location

Post by smitty » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:45 am

Hotel Zone - this trip was Fiesta Americana . Close to Gigante and Mega and all the stores , restaurants in between . Nice beaches and somewhat less hectic than downtown and across the river.

clinta74
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by clinta74 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Over the years I've stayed at least once in all the areas, as we usually try a different lodging each time we visit. Last month we spent a week at the Pelicanos and a week at the Palladium by Punta. The only place that we have returned to more than once is the Pelicanos, however this was the first time since it changed from the Las Glorias. This is also the first time since the hurricane that I have stayed in what I have always heard refered to as the "North Hotel" zone. I have always liked the area for the same reasons that Smitty mentioned. It is nice to see the area coming back as a year ago the Plaza still looked like a war zone.
If we are just spending a couple days, we usually stay in the Romantic zone due to the convenience of being in the center of everything.
I usually book multiple week condos in Nuevo.
I always enjoy the Marina, but catching the bus there is a drag.

joboblaw

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Hotel

Post by joboblaw » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:17 pm

I'm happy to hear this resort is nice. We've booked in for 2 weeks from Jan 22, 2006. We've never been to PV before, so really looking forward to it. I believe it's close to the Marina as well. We have a fishing trip planned, hope to catch Marlin or Sailfish

Any other info on this area would be appreciated

aeazy

Post by aeazy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:53 am

I really like the hotel zone. My favorite was the old Plaza Las Glorias area. It is much different now after the hurricane though.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:13 pm

We have only ever stayed in the Hotel Zone at the Canto del Sol. We find it to be clean, friendly and the food and drinks have always been really good. We might stay in the downtown/romantic zone next time we come just for a change and to see what that experience would be like. Joyce

saillav
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by saillav » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm searching for a 2 bedroom, budget/moderate $, close to the beach, (within 6 or 7 blks.) in Romanticia Zone. I'm open to privatley owned but need some names of some places that anyone would recommend. They do not need to be fancy just clean and somewhat quiet. Some places that I have not chcked for availaibiltiy are Maxims Suites, Gaviota Vallarta, Hotel Yazmin, Frankfurt Hotel. Any suggestions about one of these hotels? Most of these I found on the internet but I know there must be some places that the locals would recommend that I have not run across on the internet. I normally prefer AC but wondered if it is really THAT hot in Feb that I would really need it.
Playa Los Arcos,Vista del Sol, La Palapa are all booked. I have read good and bad reviews of the Tropicana but love the area where it is located. Would appreciate any info. and suggestions. Thanks!

pwraudio1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pwraudio1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:00 am

Zona Romántica all the way... Just got back 2/6/06.... :cry: Had a good time just like always! Can't wait to go back in Sep.... :D

sdonn1020
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sdonn1020 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:03 pm

I been going to PVR for 14 years. I am going back in April '06. I always have stayed at the same place. Villa Del Palmar in the hotel zone. I've done tours at other palces but you get "more bang for your buck(pesos)" at that resort. 8)

tonnygirl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tonnygirl » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:57 am

We're staying at the Samba Vallarta in Nuevo V. I've heard mostly good reviews for this hotel so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be happy there. Anyone ever stayed there (in the past year or two since they changed ownership?)

Mark
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: What area is that?

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 am

Hi Stew,

We're going for the first time in a couple of days. Any info on the Playa Conchas China? :?:

miyoko
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by miyoko » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 am

[quote="chuck"]Marina, GCP. Seems to be a conveinient location, quick trip to almost anywhere. Lots of good resturants, cambios, farmacias, and within walking distance to large supermercados.[/quote]

Playa de Oro aka Club Crown Paradise,Hotel Zone. Off the main road, but on the beach....quiet and convenient to downtown. Close to marina, shopping and Pittial. My choice, avoid the busy crowded streets and restuarants. And I love watching the confusion of tourists coming off of the cruise ships.