GCP

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

MEX4EVR
PV Fan
PV Fan
GCP

Post by MEX4EVR » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Sorry back now for about a month been pretty busy , great trip nice stay as always , couple of things that might make us go eleswhere next year .

Cruise ship veiw ....cant say I like staring at a cruise ship in front of the resort all day , minor inconvinience but ruins the veiw.

If you dont like construction ....coming soon Icon Vallarta three 26 story towers just north of the Krystal , there goes whats left of the view from my room and thats after they finsh the Venetian monstrosity .Vallarta is looking mor and more like Cancun why the heck cant they put a limit on the height of these things.My peaceful and quiet Vallarta is really hoppin these days .Staff was great weather fantastic , resort clean and polished as always , staff very friendly and always got a beach chair , went down and stayed down early and for most of the day till 2 or 3 .
As I said look out for Icon Vallarta judging by the size of this project it will completley wipe out the down town views from the GCP.oH well you can still see the ocean ( if it wasnt for the darn cruise ships)

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:56 pm

DELETED

tojol57

Icon Village?

Post by tojol57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Is that part of the Krystal? As they were gutting some of those old units just south of the "beach vendor mall" or north of the Krystal? I know that the Peninsula was an eyesore when they first started breaking ground a year and a half ago and had half of the first tower up, then you have the Venetian on the other side of the river by the Holiday Inn... it is tough to walk down the beach anymore with flow of the river too...

Agreed though, the skyline is changing and it is changing for the worse... as for the cruise ships, that is why they are enlarging the maritime marina, then they can park all the cruise ships there, without shuttling people in and out on the life boats.....

thanks for the updates....

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Views

Post by Jennybean » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:26 pm

You thought the hotel zone was peaceful Vallarta? :lol:

Icon is just another new condo project to satisfy the masses that want a Mexican property with the sterilized comforts of a Miami Beach hotel room. Of course none of these properties has any real "brio" and they're all being built in a riverbed below the water table (word on the street is the pilings and foundation on the first Peninsula tower have already sunk twice), so buyer beware is what I say...I'm sure the karmic gods will have their say before all is said and done. LOL

The Terminal Maritima even when it is complete still won't be able to properly hold the number of ships that will be coming in during the high season (they're already getting 5 at a time), so you will still be contending with view blockage no matter what. Plus there is serious thought being given to making PV not just a port of call but an actual boarding port for these cruises...which means even more ships in the future. Just some food for thought for those of you who call the area near the terminal home for your stays. Money talks and 3,000 people on a cruise ship X 5 cruise ships = $$$$$$$....

Vallarta is just another victim of what I see as Acapulco Syndrome. Building and expanding too much, too fast, trying to cash in on the quick buck with no forethought or insight as to what brought people there in the first place...it's already developing at critical mass levels and suffering growing pains for the trouble - and I won't even get started on the environmental impact it's already having.

Will it stop me from going? Probably not, until it actually turns into Acapulco. But it's definitely forced me to reconsider a permanent or semi-permanent move.

MEX4EVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Icon Vallarta

Post by MEX4EVR » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:54 pm

According to the Icon Vallarta website there will be 3 twenty six story towers built just north of the Krysstal .When this is finished it will put an aditional 1500-2000 people on the beach and that does not include the people that will be added to the once secluded portions of beach from the venetian , by all accounts it will be more because of the size of the Venetian , not only is the skyline changing I just cant see myself on that beach with another 3 or 4 thousand people (potentially ) that coupled with the fact that my once great view from the GCP will now be the side of 3 towers , if this is progress count me out ! I guess things have to change but the once quiet Vallarta is really changing fast .

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Picky and Choosy

Post by Jennybean » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:01 pm

Well, it's still quiet where I go...but then again I get dizzy spells if I go north of the river after I land. :lol:

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Picky and Choosy

Post by ellen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:12 pm

Jennybean wrote:Well, it's still quiet where I go...but then again I get dizzy spells if I go north of the river after I land. :lol:
I agree. I'm sorry for what's happening all over the place with building and infrastructure problems, but my quiet little Mexican neighbourhood is not affected at all and there are lots of places like that in PV, where the crowds and the building are barely a blip on the map. The GCP, while rumoured to be a wonderful place, certainly isn't the only place in town to stay.

tojol57

Re: Picky and Choosy

Post by tojol57 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:41 pm

ellen wrote:The GCP, while rumoured to be a wonderful place, certainly isn't the only place in town to stay.
I know when i first threw a hissy fit about the Peninsula over a year ago, i understood what has happening even if i didn't like it. I would have preferred them to continue building in Nuevo vallart and north, and kept parts of our special Vallarta just the way it was. But some of this expansionalism should have taken place 10 -15- 20 yrs ago in moderation. Yes Ellen, you and David have a beautiful little piece of paradise. And maybe one day, Lorrie and I will join you with our own little piece of paradise, but right now the "fact" is the GCP is our piece of paradise, and we can see just fine from there... HA HA HA HA

nevadabadgirl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by nevadabadgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:33 pm

The cruise ship view is one of the reasons I chose GCP...They just fascinate me (as long as I am not on them [sick] ). I can spend hours and hours looking at ships.

It sounds like PV is having the same problem that Vegas has...."If we build it, they will come". I did a lot of research for this trip, and have already decided that the next time I come to this area (and I am sure I will), I will probably go to Mahajuitas or Rincon de Guayabitos (I think I spelled that right)...I like to be out of the way.

Of course next time, it will probably be just me :)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23 pm

nevadabadgirl wrote:The cruise ship view is one of the reasons I chose GCP...They just fascinate me (as long as I am not on them [sick] ). I can spend hours and hours looking at ships.

It sounds like PV is having the same problem that Vegas has...."If we build it, they will come". I did a lot of research for this trip, and have already decided that the next time I come to this area (and I am sure I will), I will probably go to Mahajuitas or Rincon de Guayabitos (I think I spelled that right)...I like to be out of the way.

Of course next time, it will probably be just me :)
That's the great thing about this area - there is something for everybody. We like visiting the little towns north of the city but prefer the hustle and bustle of the city to live in. Maybe because it's such a contrast from subdivision living at home.

dispatchergurl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Just got back

Post by dispatchergurl » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 pm

We got back over the weekend and had a spectacular view...we will be back. We had a view of cruise ships...but who cares...they are neat. They are building like crazy---but still beautiful little paradise...we'll be back!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu May 10, 2007 5:10 pm

Our last trip to the GCP #12 was good but things have changed so much that may have been the last time. We have been hanging out on the Mayan Suncoast lately. Playa del Carmen is getting to be too big but still doable. We really like the large AIs set in the jungle with nice beaches south of that area. I am truly sad for all the growth happening in PV. You never know we may give it one more try some time soon.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu May 10, 2007 7:40 pm

chuck wrote:Our last trip to the GCP #12 was good but things have changed so much that may have been the last time. We have been hanging out on the Mayan Suncoast lately. Playa del Carmen is getting to be too big but still doable. We really like the large AIs set in the jungle with nice beaches south of that area. I am truly sad for all the growth happening in PV. You never know we may give it one more try some time soon.
Sorry to hear that Chuck... would hate to lose a distingguished GCP returning guest like yourself. I saw over on that other website, some gals that just got back from GCP, and ALDO was back... they loved his cocktails thru out the day... I know it was tough without Danny and Lucy back in February, but the rest of the staff made up for them... Yes there have been a lot of changes to our house that is for sure... but i guess as long as Nacho is still in charge and is GM there we will keep coming back.... As well as Ricardo, Angie, Poly, Carlos, Polo, Margarito, Lucio, Marta April, Chef Santos, Chef Martin, Manuel, Francisco, Dany, and so many others... HA HA HA