First Time to Puerto Vallarta-HELP!

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First Time to Puerto Vallarta-HELP!

Post by carden » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:04 am

My husband and I (early 40's) are looking to go to Puerto Vallarta in January 2008. We own a restaurant in Victoria, BC, Canada and will be in need of a good break. We've never been to PV and would love your advice on a good place to stay. We will be there 2 weeks so don't want to be too far from the city but also would like to rest and relax (best of both worlds really). As we're restaurateurs we're looking for good food experiences while we're there and are shying away from All Inclusive because we don't want to eat in the same place every night. Paradise Village and Sheraton Buginvillias (SP?) have been recommended by travel agent but don't like the distance to Puerto Vallarta from Paradise Village and not sure about the size of the Sheraton (very large=lots of kids and timeshare salespeople?).

Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated, we need to book by the end of October. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Cheers!

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:45 am

Oh gosh, maybe an expert will reply. The Sheraton is located as what I refer to as the end of the hotel zone, very close to the malecon and a short walk from there to what is considered "soutside" or the romantica zone. I think you are looking for something in the "hotel zone", might look up the fiesta American, Los tules, or Villa Del Palmer, check each reviews on trip Advisor. Paradise Village is located in Nuevo Vallarta, which is a somewhat a lenghty bus ride away from Puerto Vallarta or a somewhat expensive cab ride back and forth. Adults only available with a non all inclusive option is Villa Premier, Golden Crown Paradsie (ourfavorite) is mandatory all inclusive.

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

wich one

Post by femme » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 am

wich place do you own in victoria?

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

which one

Post by carden » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:37 am

mhahn - thanks for the suggestions, we'll look into the places you've suggested and see what we can learn.

femme - we have Carden Street Cafe West in Brentwood Bay. If you're not familiar with it, it's been here for over 12 years and has a great reputation. My husband and I took it over at the end of June this year and are carrying on with the tradition of great food in a funky, relaxed atmosphere. You can find the menu at www.cardenstreet.com
Thanks for asking.
Last edited by carden on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cas4075
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hotel Suggestion

Post by cas4075 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:52 am

While I've been to Puerto Vallarta several times, it has been about 10 years since my last visit. We are planning a trip for 2008 and are considering Casa Isabel. It is in the Romantic Zone - which puts you within walking distance from all of the downtown area -the real Puerto Vallarta. While I've not stayed there, it has good reviews and is owed by Canadians who also are in the restaurant business in Canada. See link below. Might be something you would like.
-http://www.madisonavenuepub.com/casaisabel/index.html

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:15 am

My recommendation would be to try for a condo rental in old town, or stay at a place like the Tropicana... breakfast included... it's not fancy, but is in the heart of PV restaurants and shops. Whatever you do, have fun!

However... the previous poster recommends Casa Isabel, which is a place I've been looking to try... it comes with great reviews!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Casa Isabel

Post by Jennybean » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Trip Advisor has lots of reviews on Casa Isabel...with pictures.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:16 pm

I would vote on Los Tules, having owned a time-share there for almost 20 years.

The grounds are very nice and it doesn't have the feeling of a large resort (although it is). None of the buildings are over 3 storys and they all have a nice Mexican feel to them.

You're right across the street from the Gigante grocery store so if you rent a condo, you can keep beer, coke, snacks, etc in your room.

Los Tules is about a $5 USD cab ride from the Malecon and the South Side but a local bus stops out front and costs only $0.50 USD per person.

Los Tules will have a few kids at that time of year but not many. It is a very quiet place overall.

capt roy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by capt roy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 pm

We have stayed at the Sheraton Buginvillias several times. It is really sn easy walk to the Malecon and many nice places to eat. It is also an inexpensive ride in a cab or bus if you don't want to walk. One night a week ( wed. or thur. ) they have a mexican fiesta which is very nice and well worth the cost. They have a very nice resturant there also and it is a very nice place to stay. :lol:

criss401
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by criss401 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 am

I would recommend the Tropicana. We are going back in Feb for the 2nd time. We find it better there - nothing fancy, but in the center of such good eating! Wherever you decide, enjoy it to the fullest.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:31 am

I'm staying at Sea River Tower (Holiday Inn) the week of February 23 - March 1st. I rented a condo on line and it looks awesome! PV has so many good places to eat that its kind of a shame to have all inclusive. With the condo I can have a few groceries, drinks on the balcony with a view of the ocean and go downtown every night for a great meal and drinks.

Good luck in finding a place. It is tough to make a decision with all the choices. I was going to get something downtown at first but opted for a little better beach area. I've heard the Tropicana is nice but it is fairly old.

[sun] [/list]

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hotel Choices

Post by carden » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Okay, we've narrowed it down to Canto Del Sol, Holiday Inn and Golden Crown....I'd appreciate any advice on which of these might be our best choice. TripAdvisor seems to rate them all pretty closely so I need the expert opinion of experienced PV travellers.

We're also contemplating the Villa Premier, but it is quite a bit more money so we want to be sure that it's worth it; possibly one week at one of the above and one week at Villa Premier?

Thanks for your help so far... looking forward to your feedback on this. Cheers!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:15 pm

If you do rent a condo at Sea Towers you can buy the all inclusive for 45.00/day or get 15% off any resturant/bar purchased at the hotel which is the option I'm going for. Apparently the beach is really nice by the Holiday Inn. Sorry, can't speak from personal experience yet but can't wait till I can!!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:20 pm

we have stayed at the canto 3 times and love it - we didn't really like the international or mexican restaurants - but we're very picky...we walked out of the international one because the food loooked gross...but I've also heard rave reviews on the restaurants...so maybe we're just picky. :)

the rooms are decent - not very much dresser space though..but how much time do you really spend in your room?

waiters are awesome - not very often we had empty drinks...

hope this helps..

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thank you

Post by carden » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:53 am

Thank you all
For the tremendous advice and help with selecting a Hotel and Pkg.
We have made our decision and are eagerly waiting for our flight in Jan 2008.
Golden Crown
Extremely excited my 2nd trip to Mexico and my Wifes 1st.
Thanks again

Carden.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Now you have three months to study the restaurants threads on this BB. :-) Have fun!

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 am

Carden: Great choice on the Golden Crown. Tom and I will be there Nov. 17th - 24th and again Feb. 9 - 23, 2008 for our 12th & 13th trip to the resort! We absolutely love the resort and the staff and they will take very good care of you! You can do as much or as little as you want. Enjoy! PVR is a great place!!!

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by carden » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:10 am

oneistwo wrote:Now you have three months to study the restaurants threads on this BB. :-) Have fun!
:D

Thats been the problem really there is so much to choose from in Accommodation's and activities. Sort of like to large of a menu and you are really hungry...:)

Oh well, appreciate all the help. We will check things out this year and hopefully go back again with more knowledge.

Just got my FODORs 2008 Puerto Vallarta will now have to do some reading.

Cheers to all

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Gotta love the Canto Del Sol. Very nice, not too big. Great location. There was a nice restaurant owned by a Canadian couple right outside the hotel.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:33 pm

Second thought about my suggestion you begin to do the homework on the restaurants. I went through that myself a couple of times by downloading a list somewhere and eliminating the ones that sounded touristy. I was still left with a hundred or two.

So here's my recommendations, assuming that if you're in the restaurant biz you'll appreciate the variety, as well as the quality:

--Cafe des Artistes - exquisite gourmet. When you make reservations, ask for the roof. Don't read the menu on their web site; spoils the drama, I think.
-- The Red Cabbage - one of a kind. Make reservations and write down the address for the cab driver, who might or might not know where it is but he'll know the street address.
-- Mariscos Polo, Hector's Sunset - Seafood, in two completely different settings. Hector's is a medium walk from Canto, not a hole in the wall but rather a hole in the fence. You'll see. Polo is in the eastern side of the south part of town, across from a local movie house. It used to be a hole in the wall, but they expanded, and I don't think success has spoiled them.
-- Los Caprichos - tapas, esp. lunch. Not the novelty it was when it first opened. We thought it wouldn't survive because the prices were too low. But they seem to be thriving, deservedly, and the prices haven't changed much.
-- Barcelona - tapas, for dinner and sunset.
-- Las Alcatraces - across from the Mega in southern end of the hotel zone (not far from Canto). We go there for breakfast, and it's mostly locals.

Also, the owner of Barcelona has taken over the House of (Casa del) Tequila, and we had a great meal there. The restaurant itself goes by the name of Agave Grill, but as far as we know the Tequila sign is still outside.

If you can't find them on a map, let me know. Feel free to PM me. All but Los Caprichos should be easy to find, and some have their own web sites.