Advice/Comments Welcome - RDC or Dreams/GPC

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

stupenal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Advice/Comments Welcome - RDC or Dreams/GPC

Post by stupenal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 pm

Thank goodness for online forums and bulletin boards!

I'm an active member in various cars and motorcycle forums, and was happy to have found this forum for PV! I've done a couple of searches, browsed the board a bit, so I have done some research. However, it's always great to post your own situation, and see the advice and comments from others!

I'll be heading to PV for either 4 or 5 nights on December 14th, and I'm still trying to book my vacation. I'm not sure which option would be best, because my goals and interests are a bit conflicting. Here are my choices:

1. Royal Decameron AI - $538 pp/5 nights including air
2. Dreams AI - $700 pp/4 nights including air

A coworker of mine recently spent 5 nights at Dreams for her honeymoon, and loved every minute of it. She told me the drinks, restaurants, lack of children, and overall experience was great. A part of me is really enticed by this 5 star resort type atmosphere, but another part of me is very interested in exploring the town, enjoying the local restaurants, and seeing everything that PV has to offer, not just staying in the resort the entire time.

RDC seems to fit the bill because it is cheap enough that I can grab some meals at the hotel, yet still go out and explore PV with the money saved over staying at Dreams. However, I would prefer to stay in a luxury type resort and am not in the mood for children running around wild, nor being herded like cattle and restricted in food and drinks. I'm still rather young (23, girlfriend 21) so money is a big part of the trip.

So to summarize: stay at 5 star resort? Or stay at a not as nice place, but have money saved to go try the local cuisine? Tough call.

On another note - i've checked numerous places - vacation outlet, orbitz, travelocity, hotels.com, expedia, and travelbyjen. any other places to look? Thanks!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 am

I can't help you on the hotel part - but for deals you can also try funjet.com or applevacations.com

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

I can't help on the hotel part either but.......

Post by pdxbuff » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:10 am

5 nights vs. 4 nights? Take the 5 nights and the extra day. A no brainer IMHO.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:07 am

RDC is in Nuevo Vallarta and if you want to leave the resort and explore PV then you are looking at a $20 taxi ride each way from Nuevo into PV. The bus is an option and a much lower fare BUT, depending on the time of day it can take up to 45 min to get where you want to go on the bus.

Dreams is a little south of PV but much a less expensive taxi fare and quicker bus access.

Nuevo Vallarta is not Puerto Vallarta and sometimes people/tour agents look at them as being the same location.

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 am

RDC is not, in my opinion Nuevo...really it is actually in Bucerias and a better Mexican experience compared to what PV has become...however, having said that...it is not in the same hotel class as Dreams...RDC is a four star resort if staying in building five or six and a three star if in building two or three and maybe a three and a half star if in building one...although a very nice property, it just does not offer the amenities and luxuries of a property such as Dreams...but honestly, I have stayed at the RDC four or five times and I love it...always stayed in building five for the adult only aspect...you will be very well looked after at RDC but not pampered as with Dreams...as for the off site dining that you mentioned with the savings you get with staying at the RDC...you have many more options within walking distance at the RDC than at Dreams...let me know if you need more info, photos, etc., but in my opinion I would choose RDC as I simply think that it provides, peso to peso, a better value...sonofdob

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 pm

I have to agree with sonofdob...
The Decameron is on the doorsteps of Bucerias.. Bucerias has a charm of its own and the air is fresher out there than in PV and it is quieter..
I love that area..The Beach is one of the nicest...
By staying at the DeCameron you are not only saving money (could be used for cabs) but gaining an extra night..
When we stayed at the Decameron we took a cab into PV several times..
No problem

Enjoy your vacation where ever you choose to stay... :)

arzluvcaz
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by arzluvcaz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:28 am

If you want the lack of children...try the GCP.
Been there 5 times and LOVE it. Great bars, Great service and good food.
It is right in the hotle zone, $5.00 taxi to old town..good food and no children.
You didn't say the cost on GCP?

Andy and Cheryl

stupenal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by stupenal » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:16 am

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! RDC does seem to be a great bargain, and the town of Bucerias seems to offer a great place to hang out outside of the resort.

As for GCP - the price for GCP is $700 for 5 nights. That was also one of the choices I was looking at. I know this board is heavily favored towards GCP, and not many people on here have stayed at Dreams.

I guess the next question might be - GCP or RDC?

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:13 pm

We have stayed at the RD a couple of years ago and are staying again in February. Bucerias is a great little village with some awesome restaurants. Try Aduato's for some great red snapper or seafood platter and don't forget the chocolate something or other for dessert! The food at the resort is very good and it has a lot of variety. We spent all our time at the adult pool or the beach and even though the resort is huge you never feel like you are in a crowd. I think there are 8 bars although I have to admit I didn't find all of them (last time). This year we're traveling with our two girls and they are 17 & 21 so I'm sure we'll find them all. Taking the bus is no big deal and you can always take a cab back from PV if its late. I haven't stayed at Dreams but I don't think you'll be disappointed with RC. One more thing, I found shopping for some souvenirs cheaper in Bucerias then in PV as well.

Good luck with your decision!

arzluvcaz
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by arzluvcaz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 pm

True, shopping in Bucerias is a little cheaper. :?: Do you want to hang at the resort or take in some night life in PVR :?: If you are going to hang at the resort I would say RD for the price but if you want to take in the night life and shopping I would say the GCP. As previous stated we love the GCP as we do go into town every day, walk around town and do a few stops at the ocean bars <:-)-
Mind you either resort you choose you will have a wonderful time!!

Andy and Cheryl

stupenal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by stupenal » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Well I ended up booking RDC for 5 nights! Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure to do a ton of research here before I go on my trip, and I'll definitely write a trip report!

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:40 pm

stupenal...make sure your in building five...the pool there is adults only and and as such there are really not many children in the building either...also, it is the largest and I think the nicest pool on the resort...building six would be a close second as it is the newest and the pool is quite nice...a short walkway connects you to the adult only pool...building one is O.K. as it beachfront (great view if on second or third floor) and right in the middle of all the action...sonofdob.