Group of 50 year olds, where to stay?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jrdr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Group of 50 year olds, where to stay?

Post by jrdr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:20 pm

A group of 50 year olds, married, looking for a great place in Puerto Vallarta. Requirements are fantastic beach and pools, swimming in ocean, close to shopping (for the wives) and COLD BEER!(for the guys). All-inclusive is a must. Have traveled to Cancun many times, never to the West coast of Mexico. It is all new to us. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:10 am

Hey there!
Well, I'm not an experienced enough traveller to actually answer your question about where to stay, but when I read you're post, I couldn't help but wonder if you're setting your self up for disappointment.
The west is not like the east. There is no white sand beaches and clear blue water. The beaches are brown sand - some pebbley - and the water is rough and choppy. I'd only recommend swimming in the ocean for the strong, experience swimmer. At least that's what I observed when I was there...
Don't get me wrong, PV is beautiful!! But if you go in with a mind set where you are comparing it to Cancun, it will not met your expectations. However, if you can appriciate PV for what it is, I'm sure you'll love it.
Good luck!!

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:35 am

You will absolutely love PV. Yes, it is very different from the east coast. But it sounds like you have your priorities straight.. :lol:

I would check out the following resorts if you want AI, which is probably a great idea for a group like yours.

Golden Crown Paradise - very nice, adult only, good vendor shopping on the beach, a huge new mall across the street and cold beer all day and most of the night. They have room service included which is really nice and all the rooms have an ocean view.

Canto Del Sol - closer to downtown, beautiful pool... shopping all around the resort, and a very short cab ride to downtown PV..

Buenaventura - walking distance to downtown, I'm hearing great things about their recent renovations.

You will HAVE to go to Andales for a fun evening of dancing and other activities that you just have to witness for yourself. Our group of 45 - 55 year old couples (there were 6 couples last year together... going again in March) anyways... we LOVED Andales..and we loved old town beach bars and the restaurants were awesome. The shopping is terrific in old town as well.

I have been to Cancun and Playa, and I still love PV the best of them all. I guess because it's a resort town mixed in with the working town of PV... you get to experience the culture, the people, and the beach and the sun! When the sky is brilliant blue, the water is turquoise. If you want a day of beach walking... hop on a bus to Bucerias... you can walk for hours along a beautiful stretch of silky sandy beach!

Cheers!

Sandra

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:52 am

OK, we have stayed numerous times at the Golden Crown Paradise, adults only, all inclusive, will be back one week from now. The time of year depends on the water temperature, winter months the water is cooler. The water is not like Cancun or Playa Del Carmen but still OK for floating around on a boogie board or swimming close to shore IMO. Puerto Vallarta still has its old section which you really feel like you are in Mexico. Unfortunately it is being really built up with high rise condos on the "hotel strip", but I still prefer it to the east side, but I do like an occassional visit to the calm turquoise waters over there. You will enjoy your visit, walking the malecon, stumbling through the coblestone streets and there are many little ares mentioned above to take a day visit to.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:47 pm

you might also consider Nuevo. The beaches are great and the surf is consistent. But you only have beach vendor shopping and the expensive Paradise Village mall. Plus the trip into town is long and getting longer.

Los Tules in the heart of the Hotel Zone had 22 acres of coconut palms, 7 separate pools (pick one for your group), a restaurant, and close to shopping including Super La Playa for beer. A short bus ride into town. Great white sand beach and good water for the strong swimmer.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 am

I used to be 50 something and I second KCowan's suggestion about Los Tules. It's one of the few low-rises on the water, it's got a choice of pools to relax by or swim in (the beach, to state it in the positive, is great for lying or walking on), none of the pools have canned music, the grounds are very nice (they lost some of their color in a hurricane a few years ago) and the on-site restaurant is excellent for both price and service. You can lay in grog and other supplies across the street at Gigante, and everything else KCowan said.

Whenever I get "homesick" I go to Google Earth and look for the palm tree by what we call the Square Pool, the palm tree in the shade of which I smoke my afternoon cigar while my significant other suns herself a few feet away. All to the sound of the surf. Relaxing is an art form and Los Tules is an excellent place to practice it.

KCowan: would you recommend that anyone interested talk to Craig?

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:13 am

jrdr...the requirements you list do not exist in PV...there are some nice beaches but not fantastic, ocean swimming is not great and anything nice beachwise is not close to quality shopping options...however, if you want to experience some real Mexican culture, first class dining options and genuine hospitality you just might enjoy a trip to PV...sonofdob.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:47 am

Just a thought... we have 6 senses... more than just sight... ??

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:06 pm

sonofdob wrote:jrdr...the requirements you list do not exist in PV...there are some nice beaches but not fantastic, ocean swimming is not great and anything nice beachwise is not close to quality shopping options...however, if you want to experience some real Mexican culture, first class dining options and genuine hospitality you just might enjoy a trip to PV...sonofdob.
Well put. Exactly the point I was trying to make in my first post. jrdr, the vacation you're going to get in PV will be a lot different from what you experienced in Cancun. PV is a beautiful place, but for different reasons than Cancun. Based on what you listed as your criteria, I just don't want you to be disappointed and then wind up on Trip Advisor writing about the horrible vacation you had in PV.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:20 pm

and most people who love PV do not like Cancun because it is more like Miami Beach than Mexico.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:07 am

exactly, if i wanted to got to Miami or Las Vegas i would go there, that is why we really don't care for the east coast side and stay away from Cancun... those that love it LOVE IT... that is how we feel about Vallarta...there is so much to enjoy, learn, have fun with.. you will not find more gracious people than the citizens of Vallarta...

good luck.. many of the previous posters have stated a lot of the same sentiments that i have as well...

jrdr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thank you!

Post by jrdr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:37 am

I want to thank all of you who left a message. Your opinions have been helpful and confusing. I have determined that it is best to sit back and have someone else in our group make the decision as to what resort to stay. Much easier than all the blame going my way!

Once again, thanks.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 am

I hear you! My mother always said... when a decision is not forthcoming... do nothing and the right decision will present itself...!

Enjoy your vacation ..!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:41 pm

suggestion - bring the group together, at somebody's house... pull up the bulletin board and sit there and toss out ideas and ask questions... put the top 3 or 5 in a hat.... and before you pull out that idea... all agree that what you want to do... or like you said... turn it over to somebody else... we all know what you are going thru... been there done that as well... one year, we had all the cousins and close relatives wanted to go on a vacation with us.... we put it out to them three choices, etc... one group wanted to go to the GCP, another group wanted the Fiesta Americana, and another wanted Sierra in Nuevo Vallarta... then the fights came on some only wanted to go for long weekends, others wanted five days, one week, 10 days... our travel agent was going NUTS... finally after the family was all mad at each other and us... we told we are leaving on this date and we will be there until this date and we are staying at the GCP... if you want to join us, call your agent and we will see you there... needless to say we were called every name under the sun... which was BS because they couldn't make up their minds... oh well... i feel for you... good luck... you will need it...

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:33 pm

try to keep in mind that the west coast entails much more than PV just the same as the east coast encompasses so much more than Cancun...there are options out there for you that I am sure that a group can get together and decide upon...honestly though I gave up group vacation planning years ago...I do as tojol57 said..."here is where we're going and this is when we're going, everyone is welcome to join us"...some do and some do not but in the end it is my vacation...sonofdob.

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Zeewot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:33 am

stevePVsince1972
PV Fan
PV Fan

re group of 50 year olds

Post by stevePVsince1972 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 pm

having been traveling to pv since 1972,with close to 100 visits under my belt...and a dozen plus trips to yucatan,when in cozumel in 1975 pre cruise ships and only generators for electicity i feel qualifed to comment on your dilema....first , let me say if you guys have been to isla mujeras,,you will find pv with a very similar laid back atmousphere......without the incredible clear water-
if you havent been to isla.....check it out---i have found traveling to cancun area just as stisfying as pv in most ways if you venture out with a retal car or just go to the bus station and take a day trip to vallalodid,,,,,a small town half way to merida----no gringos in sight---for me mexico has always been about the people and the incredible culture----pv has always been in my heart as with so many people on this forum---it has change alot over the years ,,,but at the same time it still feels the same everytime i get off the plane---or drive thru laredo,
i remember driveing to pv in the early 70s in winter time--the interstate highway was closed because of ice and snow ,we went around the barricade and kept on going,
slideing down the interstate sideways on black ice----
we finally made it to laredo----and that peaceful mexico feeling hit us---drove 10 times from wash dc to mexico in the 70s-----youll be hooked on pv too--no matter where you stay---hotel rio in old town is my favorite
rate in 1973 was about $8.00 us today its only in the $40s----great hotel now has air cond rooms and one of the best little bars in town---fantastic bloody marys--
or also playa los arcos,,,beachfront nice pool--under $100----

jrdr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jrdr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:31 am

Thanks Steve,
We are booked for the 24th of February at the Vallarta Palace. We decided it was time to try Puerto Vallarta. Yes we have been to Isla, so maybe understand some of what you say. Needless to say we are ready to get out of the Illinois winter! Thanks again.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:55 am

I'm sure you'll love PV. Of course its different then the other coast and thats whats great! I've been to Costa Rica and there is a big difference between San Jose and Manuel Antonio park and that why I enjoyed it. I have never stayed in PV and I'm looking forward to trying a lot of great restaurants and good bars. Burros bar sounds cood as does CyC's and then there is the infamous Andales. Can't wait!!