Saving loungers with towels

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
Saving loungers with towels

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:10 am

This was something new from 3 years ago. We were at the Royal Decameron three years ago and we didn't have a problem getting a chair. This year there were a lot of times there wasn't a chair to be had and there were a lot of them but they had towels on them. I guess we're too polite to remove the towels and sit down. Maybe they'll have to start a "towel meter" policy that if you have a towel on a chair and you don't sit in for at least 1 or 2 hours they remove the towel. LOL!!! We ended up buying a blanket so we could sit whenever we wanted.

Actually I didn't have this problem at the Holiday Inn and I'm not sure why since it is also a big hotel.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:50 am

Unfortunately Chris this is happening more and more at just about any resort... we even had it happening at the GCP... and they do pick up the towels if people just leave them out there for an extended period of time... i know it would be a pain in the tush but i think set timers and go from there... there is no simple answer except for the resorts to make more money and charge $10 per chair and it is yours for the day... otherwise... get your spot, and plant your tush in it.... JMHO

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:53 am

Hey, thats not a bad idea. People probably would think first before leaving a towel if they had to pay $10. It was just a big difference I noticed from a few years ago when we had absolutely no problem. A little frustrating sometimes when you've been out for a walk or on a tour and you notice towels sometimes staying well past 6 p.m. I am not a chair saver by the way and figure if my towel is on a chair I'm either on it or near it!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Chair Saving

Post by Jennybean » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:59 am

The way I look at it is, if someone hasn't come to claim the chair inside of 3 hours - the towel is gonzo. That's what I did, what I've always done, and if someone comes back and b*tches about it I make sure to point out very loudly that the towels have been there since "X" hour, they have not occupied the chairs in "X" number of hours and I assumed since they were gone for so long they didn't intend to come back, whereas I intended to be there for the day.

I found embarassing someone into giving up the chair was quite an effective tool. :twisted:

The whole chair saving concept is another reason I started staying in smaller hotels and opting for the beach clubs...no chair saving without $$, no ifs ands or but(t)s. :wink:

tojol57

Check out Chairs

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Other thing would be to set up another cabana with all the chairs in them... and you have to check out your chair and return your chair... now that would be a pain as well... but just think of concept of that one... just like we did up in Sayulita and we "paid" for our spots on the beach for the day... and used the facilities where we got the chairs... $$$ a little but darn it was so much fun though.....

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Hey, I went on this vacation with a "budget" kind of....I would gladly pay to have a chair. I don't usually spend the whole day in one spot anyway. You'll have to suggest that at the GCP and maybe it will catch on at the other resorts!

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Oh man.. :roll:

I haven't travelled much, but this is one topic that I have a strong opinion on!! My though's are much like Jennybean - I'll give a chair with a towel on it some time - 1 hour tops - and if no one comes along, bye bye towel, hello chair!
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that someone thinks they can 'save' a chair for hours. There are other guests at the resort and if your not ready to use a chair, but I am, guess what - I'm going to!!
If someone were to come along two hours later saying I took their chair, I'd have to ask them to prove it, because I've been sitting there for hours!
IMO chairs are first come, first serve. If a chair has a towel on it, be polite and give it time - perhaps they went to grab a drink or a burger, or had to run to their room for something; but if it's apparent the towel owner is not coming any time soon - what right do they have?.....

Another question.... I've never heard of a resort enforcing a 'towel saved chair rule'. Honestly - if someone complained to staff that they had a chair saved with a towel, would the staff honestly make you give up the chair????

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm with you sunshine!! I'm just going to have to be more aggressive next year!! This is the first year I've noticed it being that bad. Maybe there was just a lot more travellers this year with our dollar being so good. I don't know but it was pretty annyong at times. We found our way to the bar or ended up sitting around the pool or like I said I bought a blanket and brought my own d*** chair!

Mares-e-doats
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

saving loungers with towels

Post by Mares-e-doats » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

This board is full of great ideas and tips! We've noticed the "lounge chair grabs" for the last 2 or 3 annual visits at our spot at the Sheraton...some people get the towels,keep them overnight, and come out just before day break to "reserve" their spots...and then disappear for hours. This wasn't a policy in earlier years, but seems fully engaged now...there isn't anything unclaimed after 8:30 am... :) next time...I'll try a couple of the suggestions posted here, and hope for the best!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

at the GCP the staff does not make people move because you took a spot that was clearly vacated because the "reserver" didn't come back for hours... now my evil twin is thinking, let the resort pick up all the chairs and if you want to lounge by the pool, you go to Wal-Mart or Soriana and buy or rent a chair for the duration of your stay. then the resort wouldn't have to clean chairs, enforce saving places, etc... it would be up to the guest to go out and spend money on their chair, and then maybe they would respect their chair better too... LMAO

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Well really, it's all just silly if you ask me. Either a chair is taken (and being used!), or it's not. Simple as that.
And how the heck do you know who's towel is who's? Do they have their name on them?? Are they not all generic white towels that the resort hands out?? If I were to walk to the beach at 9am and see hardly any people, but a sea of white towels on chairs, how does anyone know whose towel is who's? (Who's chair is who's?)
Give me a break...it's just dumb, and I honestly can't even believe that that this system works and is gaining popularity!

But, on the upside, I guess it shows something about people and society. The majority of the people are so honest and respectful that they will not touch a chair just because a towel has been sitting on it for lord knows how long. Like I said, I'll respect that towel for an hour, but after that - who's really the rude, disrespectful one here????
Last edited by sunshine311 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:35 pm

That settles it!! Next year I'm going to find that aggressive side of myself and take the chair!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:46 pm

when i save a chair, i bring my friend Ivan from Security with me, point to the two chairs that belong to Mr and Mrs Crown for the day... and he keeps predators away from my stuff... we also put up yellow crime scene tape up and draw a body either in the sand or on the cement there by the pool... that gets them too... HA HA HA we also use our Mr and Mrs Crown gold inlay towels to mark our territory as well... then we put up flags from two of our universities (Iowa and Iowa State) and people just walk around us or move chairs far far away from us... HA HA HA ...

now if anyone of you believe this hmmmmmmmmmmm do i have some land to sell you along with a bridge or two....

gullabull gullabull... HA HA HA

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 pm

tojol57 wrote:when i save a chair, i bring my friend Ivan from Security with me, point to the two chairs that belong to Mr and Mrs Crown for the day... and he keeps predators away from my stuff... we also put up yellow crime scene tape up and draw a body either in the sand or on the cement there by the pool... that gets them too... HA HA HA we also use our Mr and Mrs Crown gold inlay towels to mark our territory as well... then we put up flags from two of our universities (Iowa and Iowa State) and people just walk around us or move chairs far far away from us... HA HA HA ...

now if anyone of you believe this hmmmmmmmmmmm do i have some land to sell you along with a bridge or two....

gullabull gullabull... HA HA HA
LMAO!!! Awesome post!!!!

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Lounger grabbers

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 am

Last year someone posted a story and pictures from a resort in
England about this same problem. By seven am every chair around
the pool and on the beach sported a towel. Enraged, one guest hurled
most of them in the water. He was briefly detained by security but the
resort declined to prosecute.
I hope this trend misses our property, but I know better.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 pm

there was one from the French Riviera where some German Tourists were lighting things on fire too... Hilarious...

glad you liked my "evil twin's" version on how to save chairs... HA HA HA... it is a great to have a good sense of humor, especially when vacationing in Mexico...

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I don't hang by the pool anymore, but I used to gather offending towels and turn them in. I would leave their books behind in a nice pile. To me, 2 hours alone and a towel is abandoned, and in this resort, a lost towel costs $35.

Now I go to the beach and rent a chair for 40p for the day (including one marg).

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 pm

if i can recall from a couple years ago, i think the policy at the velas
is 'sit and claim your towel by 10am' or it's bye-bye towel and chair.

it's just another classic example of those on vacation that think
because they spent the money, they think they own the
damn place; whether it's behavior at the resort or in town.
they're not hard to spot.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Chair Hogs

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:18 pm

kagnew64 . I think this is the post .

Coach driver set fire to Germans' towels for 'bagging' all the sunbeds

Glyn Bowden twice took the towels away and left them on the side of the pool - but on the third day set fire to them
A coach driver became so fed up with German tourists bagging every sunbed that he set fire to all their towels.

Glyn Bowden, 55, was locked up by police in Italy after his early morning raid.

Mr Bowden was coach driver for a party of 55 British holidaymakers at Viana Marina near San Remo on the Italian Riviera.

He told yesterday how the German tourists put their towels on the best sunbeds on the private beach and by a nearby pool.

He twice took the towels away and left them on the side of the pool - but on the third day set fire to them.

Mr Bowden spent two hours in the cells at a local police station before hotel bosses persuaded officers to release him without charge.

The first time the group from South Wales complained to him, he said "Leave it to me" and dumped all of the towels at the end of the pool.

Mr Bowden said: "The following morning the Germans put them down even earlier so I did the same - with them shaking their fists at me from their windows.

"The next morning about 20 towels were there again so I collected them up, put them on a pile on the beach - and lit them. All the British tourists were cheering. But just a few minutes afterwards three police officers turned up and arrested me.

"They were going to charge me with criminal damage but the hotel - which owned the towels -intervened on my behalf."

Mr Bowden, from Tonyrefail, near Rhondda, added: "The Germans thought they owned the private beach but I wanted to make sure my tourists got a crack of the whip."

His extreme action seemed to have worked - the Germans' towels did not reappear for the rest of the holiday.

mat1898
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mat1898 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 pm

kcowan wrote:I don't hang by the pool anymore, but I used to gather offending towels and turn them in. I would leave their books behind in a nice pile. To me, 2 hours alone and a towel is abandoned, and in this resort, a lost towel costs $35.

Now I go to the beach and rent a chair for 40p for the day (including one marg).
I don't like that everyone save chairs, but what is, is. Because everone saves chairs I have been forced to become a towel person too. But you better not touch any of my belongings. What business and who gave you the right to Police the chairs? If the Hotel has a problem with it, they will address it with me. I Don't disagree that the whole saving chairs issue is wrong. But what is, is. Since I'm forced to do it. We " save our Chairs around breakfast and then occupy them a couple hours later around 10-11am. And NOBODY except Hotel security has any business touching any of my personal or anyone elses belongings. If anyone other than Hotel Security touches my belongings I would call it "theft"