First visit w/ 3 yo- kids clubs at Melia? Crown? Decameron?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Best Kids Club for 3 year old?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Melia
60%
Crown
40%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

JAAntos
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First visit w/ 3 yo- kids clubs at Melia? Crown? Decameron?

Post by JAAntos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Okay- first time visit to PV in late May coming up and I have read all the posts and know there are some strong supporters of both hotels but my question is specific to the kids clubs... I can only seem to find those two hotels that cater to kids under 4 like my daughter. If anyone knows of more kids clubs that welcome 3 year old kids OR any chance they'd take her even at the 4 & up ones? She's totally potty trained and very well behaved.

Our intent is not to drop her off at the kids clubs but to give her the opportunity to play in them with one of us at least. I've seen the pictures of the big playground at the Melia and the water park at the Crown and now I'm torn... the Crown seems like it might have more fun activities for my husband.

Also just found out Royal Decameron may have activities for 3 year olds...

I've seen reviews of both clubs and heard the kids clubs for under 4 are 'baby oriented' ... any advice on this topic?

tojol57

The CPCR Staff

Post by tojol57 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm

I know from experience and from the relationships that Lorrie and I have built with the staff at both the Golden Crown Paradise (adults only) and the Crown Paradise Club Resort (family all inclusive), we feel Rachel, Martin, Paul, Eric, Andrea, etc are very close and make it a family atmosphere for all their guests. the do have a wonderful indoor facility for your daughter, as well as an outdoor facility. And yes your hubby will enjoy water basketball, water volleyball, beach volleyball, etc... I see that the votes are more for the Melia (2 to 1)... but i don't think you will go wrong with either resort... it is your family vacation... good luck with your search for information and if you need anything from us, just let us know... as i do have a power point presentation on the CPCR if you would like to see it...

tom aka Mr Crown.

JAAntos
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thank you Mr. Crown

Post by JAAntos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 pm

You couldn't love it that much if it weren't great. Maybe we'll split our stay! :D

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Alright: this is going to be somewhat one-sided, but the choice is definitely yours. Over the last decade we took our annual vacations in PV, with all but two at the Melia. (prior to this we went to Mazatlan) Our children (our youngest is now 18, oldest 30) basically grew up there, and looked forward to their annual vacation at the Melia. The last time we went there we took our oldest kids and the grandchildren as well. Could have bought a house for what it cost, but that's another story. The place is built for and caters to families.

The Melia is absolutely beautiful, has wonderful service, and takes great care of the kids. As long as you are on the property you can leave the little ones, and they will be looked after and have a great time. You can hire a babysitter to look after them in the evening in your room if you want to go out) We usually asked for and got a family room, which has bunk beds in it as well. Wonderful shows, including the daily kids show... which is an hour preceding the regular one.

Food is always good, same with the booze, (they use real glasses), the pool is huge and has a kids end that starts at about 6 inches, and there is an internet cafe and laundromat across the street in the marina. Because the place is built for families, and there are lots, we have only seen a couple states of drunkenness over the years, which we really liked.

That being said, we stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise this January, and spent a considerable amount of time over at the Crown Paradise Club (they allow this), and found it to be very nice over there as well. In fact, both the wife and I preferred it and spent most of our time eating there and hanging around there... (I am sure that if I had been hanging around this area without the wife on my arm, some parent would have thought me a pervert.... a very real possibility I guess given that anybody can travel these days) ... It has a wonderful themed area as well for kids, and all that were there were genuinely having a great time. We go for a southern vacation each year and this was only the second time in our 33 years together that we went anywhere without our kids or grandchildren.

If we again take our grandchildren somewhere I would (even though it costs a little more) choose the Melia first, but if it was booked, the Crown Paradise Club would easily be my second choice. The only concern I would have at the Crown is that as an overly possessive father and grandfather, I would always want to be watching my kids there, as the traffic from the adults only part next door cuts through this area, and from what we saw this January, a good portion of them were at least half cut throughout the day.

Just my two cents.

JAAntos
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JAAntos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:07 pm

well you have both made feel very smart for narrowing it down to what are clearly the best two resorts out there.

I will have to ponder further on it and see if I get a sign from an even higher power than the two of you... :wink:

JAAntos
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Oh and one more question...

Post by JAAntos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Is it worth it to contact hotel directly to ask about them matching prices online or should I just book with Expedia/Cheap Carribean type service if the rates are lower than on the hotel websites?

And it seems you're both of the opinion there's no use asking to upgrade once you get there, better to just book the room you want now, yes?

(thank you both, by the way, this has been helpful)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:35 am

see if I get a sign from an even higher power than the two of you
I see that you are married as well.

I know that both of the places offer upgrades, but we have never asked for one per se. At the Melia we have always just asked for a family room when we got there (we e-mailed them the time ahead of time when there was a dozen of us and we wanted adjoining rooms as well) and they have always obliged us. (Maybe we were just lucky, and they had a spare room not booked, or they saw the 'need' on our faces, but we've never had to pay extra either.) I know they have higher class rooms but we're pretty easy and just don't care.. they are all neat, clean, big bathtub, small safe in the room, nice balcony, bottled water and pretty flowers, lots of iguanas, birds, and coconut and banana trees in the gardens.

As far as matching prices, we only use our travel agent. She's been with us for years. I do shop around on 'Travel Best Bets' and 'Red Tag.ca' (Canada only, I think), but then call her and ask her to match and book... she has always been able to get it at the same price.

Enjoy yourselves wherever you end up. Take lots of pictures. It's all about our children and memories to last our lifetime (and theirs).

tojol57

Good 4 U

Post by tojol57 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:41 am

""I will have to ponder further on it and see if I get a sign from an even higher power than the two of you...""

well if you are looking for a "higher power", you can always play with odds, flip a coin, draw straws, etc...

I agree with Ron, go to a reputable travel agent you trust and have them check prices for you (packages that include flight and hotel), then check all the regular websites for travel packages in your area, and price it that way... and if you want to get a direct quote from the Crown Paradise Club, i can email the sales office and have them get in touch with you and you can negotiate a deal from there...

Again, keep searching, keep the faith, and your vacation will be there... Good Luck, I can't speak for Ron, but if you have any more questions for the two of us, i am sure you can contact us here, or via PM, or you can e-mail me privately as well.... not a problem