Need help selecting a resort to stay at.

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

faganr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Need help selecting a resort to stay at.

Post by faganr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:20 pm

We are three couples planning a trip to PV in February 2010. None of us has been there before. I am looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are currently looking at the Riu Jalisco and the Riu Vallarta. Can anyone offer an opinion on these two places or another hotel comparable to these two? Also, how is the weather in February?

Thanks so much,

Rick

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 pm

The weather in February is great.

You need to decide if you want to be in Nuevo Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta. The resorts you mentioned you will be staying in Nuevo Vallarta.

Nuevo Vallarta is on the north side of the bay about a 30 minute ($20 to $25) Taxi ride to Puerto Vallarta, depending on traffic.

If you want to see and experience the feel of Mexico that you need to find a resort in Puerto Vallarta. Nuevo is newer but it does not have the mexican flair it is more modern resort vs Mexican style. The beaches are nice in Nuevo but there are some nice beaches in Puerto Vallarta too.

You also need to decide if you want to go all inclusive or not. Puerto Vallarta is a foodie's paradise and has many wonderful restaurants. In my opinion to miss the restaurant experience it to miss the real vallarta.

You need to all talk it over and decide what type of trip you want to do. Do you want to sightsee or do you want to relax at your resort. Is it worth it to pay for all inclusive and go out for a couple of dinners off the resort grounds or not. When you talk it over come back and let us know what you are looking for in a resort and I am sure you will get some very helpful suggestions based on your preferences.

faganr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by faganr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:02 pm

We want an all inclusive in Nuevo. Primarily we are looking to relax but will go into town 2-3 times during the week. We also would probably have dinner in town 1 or 2 times

Cheesehead
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Cheesehead » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi,
We have been to both the Riu Jalisco and Vallarta, although it has been two and three years ago. We enjoyed both of them very much. When we were there, we found the Jalisco to be more fun or active during the day by the pool than the Vallarta. I'm not sure if the activities staff rotates between them or not. It seemed that the Vallarta was a little more quiet but I would guess it depends on the people staying there at the time. If you choose to stay at either, I would recommend walking to or taking a taxi to Bucerias. It has good shopping and restaurants and bars. It is a lot smaller than PV, but it is a lot closer.
The weather in Feb is just perfect in my opinion. That is when we are going this year.
I don't think you could go wrong with the Riu's.
Have a great trip, Cheesehead

lancegolfs
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lancegolfs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 am

My recommendation is the Grand Mayan. In the heart of NV but close to Sayulita and downtown PV. Take a trip up to Sayulita, it is worth the 45 minute drive. The GM is gorgous, right on the beach, excellent food and a golf course on site (if you are into golf).

Best steak dinner in PV area, hands down La Portenia! On the road to NV off the highway.

mason
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Need help selecting a resort to stay at.

Post by mason » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 am

faganr wrote:We are three couples planning a trip to PV in February 2010. None of us has been there before. I am looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are currently looking at the Riu Jalisco and the Riu Vallarta. Can anyone offer an opinion on these two places or another hotel comparable to these two? Also, how is the weather in February?

Thanks so much,

Rick
my husband is the marketing director of Royal resorts Puerto Vallarta . we have over 160 hotels around the world. we currently have some great promotions we can offer you. the hotel is submitted into the govenment programme which is helping tourism in mexico. i could maybe get discounts of up to 50%. !!!

if this is of intrest to you contact me on 322 221 21 26
or victoria_de_rincon@hotmail.com

i would be happy to help you out. :D

johnie D
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Hotel to stay at

Post by johnie D » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:05 am

I
would stay at Riu vallarta or the Riu Palace Pacifico.

jessica3910
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Rius

Post by jessica3910 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 am

I stayed at Riu Jalisco in December.. chose it over Riu Vallarta because it has more of a "Mexican" feel, while still be kind of chic... Seemed to me, that Vallarta was always priced a bit higher.. and appeared to be a bit more updated.. But you are able to utilize both properties, and after a walk through of Riu Vallarta... I still prefered Jalisco over Vallarta. As many guests who I came in contact agreed, the food at Jalisco was better... and the night shows are there, so you don't have to walk far after a nice full dinner! RiuVallarta had a nicer "presentation" but RiuJalisco had a nicer "feel".. !