Choice of Westin or Sheraton????

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sjcordova
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Choice of Westin or Sheraton????

Post by sjcordova » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:44 pm

We are 2 couples in our 50s. My starwood points allow us to stay at either of these two places. I know the creature comforts would be nicer at the Westin. We like snorkleling, walking the beach, hanging at the pool, strolling the streets. We have a rental car so moving about is no problem. All of the reviews on the Sheraton complain of the vendors bothering you. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other. Thanks

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:37 pm

The beaches in Mexico are Public so the vendors are on all beaches. They have permits from the Federal Govt. to sell so they are working their jobs when they come up and ask you if you are interested in seeing something. $98% of them will just walk away if you say "No Gracias". The other 2% will be more persistent. They are some of the hardest working, friendliest people you could ever want to meet if you take the time to smile and chat with them. They are amazing and I don't know how they remember faces and names but they do. If you tell a silver vendor you are looking for a pair of turtle earrings...he will find you days later and say I have turtle earrings. Their ability to remember what you want and who you are is amazing. I would not base my decision on someone not liking the vendors bothering them. The fix for that is to sit by the pool or behind the roped off area that the vendors are not allowed in.

My only complaint about the Sheraton is the beach is really rocky but it is closer if you like to walk it is walkable to the malecon or a quick bus or taxi ride if you would rather do that and then stroll the malecon all the way to the south side of town. The Westin will require a bus or taxi to get you down to the malecon or south side but you will have the marina restaurants and shops right there if you decide you don't want to go downtown every night. Their beach is much smaller but not rocky. The marina has some good restaurants too.

cbeepa1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by cbeepa1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:38 pm

The Westin, hands down. Fun to hotel-hop and stroll the harbor. Visit the Marriott. Strolling from the Sheraton isn't very interesting unless you go all the way to the malecon via a busy highway.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 pm

The Westin is the better of the two & that's which one I would choose. The beach is a bit better too.

Curious though, why rent a car? Public transport and taxis are cheap and plentiful in PV & there is NOWHERE to park in town. I recommend you save your money and drop the rental car.

TIM

sjcordova
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sjcordova » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 am

tim25 wrote:The Westin is the better of the two & that's which one I would choose. The beach is a bit better too.

Curious though, why rent a car? Public transport and taxis are cheap and plentiful in PV & there is NOWHERE to park in town. I recommend you save your money and drop the rental car.

TIM
Thanks to all who replied. I too think it's a no brainer between the two. We are getting a rental car because we are flying into Mexico City and spending a couple of days with the mariposas in Angangueo and departing from Guadalajara after our week stay in PV. We also plan on doing daily exploring up and down the coast from PV.

lancegolfs
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lancegolfs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 am

Explore definitely! Drive north and visit La Cruz, Sayulita and San Pancho. Small quaint towns on the beach. Less than 1 hour north of PV and a very easy drive.

sjcordova
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sjcordova » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Good stuff about exploring the north. We are booked at the Westin for 5 nights. Thanks for all of the good info.

lancegolfs
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lancegolfs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:48 pm

You will not be disappointed with the Westin. Awesome location and I believe they still have the NIKKI BEACH concept there. If so, the sushi was outstanding. Dont miss La Portena if you like steak. Hands down, some of the best Argentinan beef I have ever had. Have fun!

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Westin

Post by kagnew64 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm

When we were at the Club Regina this last Oct the Nikki Beach was closed.
Don't know if it was permanent