Why avoid all-inclusive packages?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Why avoid all-inclusive packages?

Post by luvthis » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:30 pm

Why is it so many people downgrade the all-inclusive resorts in Puerto Vallarta? We will be staying at the Crown Paradise for the 4th time from 9/30-10/6/02. It has everything to offer (adults only) & is only a $4. cab ride to town (much less if you grab a local bus). We usually go off-season & are able to get a very reasonable price. With ALL ala-carte dining, local & international brand drinks, filtered & bottled water, 24 hour room service, a disco across the street, use of the hotel next door & all of its buffet dining, an ocean view & exceptional service...I just don't understand why residents & vacationers suggest avoiding this or any other all-inclusive. I'm sure each resort varies, but if you're planning your expenses in advance, this is the way to go. The opportunity is there to explore downtown & its many restaurants if you want, but there is the security of knowing you can eat & drink to your hearts content at your all-inclusive resort, with expenses paid before you ever leave home (except for tips, which I firming believe in even though they say tips are included in the package). Tours can be booked right at the hotel, as well. I say "to each his own". Just enjoy the friendly people, the beautiful surroundings, and the variety of things to do. Just vacation the way it works best for you. I know people say that Puerto Vallarta's restaurants are reasonable & delicious and that drinks are inexpensive. However, if you pay before you go, you know what your fixed costs are and anything extra you do while there is icing on the cake. Can hardly wait to go back the end of the month.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re:Why avoid all-inclusive packages?

Post by bsimpson » Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:25 pm

Hola luvthis! We sound like similar travellers. Mrs. Bob in particular enjoys the 'pre-payment' of AI. Having said this, we were in Nayarit for 2 weeks (at the Grand & Club Marival) earlier this year - 2nd time we went to this resort - and had a great time. We took off for Bucerias for 3/4 of a day, off to Pitillal for a 1/2 day, over to the Marina for the Animal Protection Dog & Cat show for a 1/2 day, into the city about 4-5 times for shopping, supper, a meeting of some of the BB regulars it's been our pleasure to come to know, out horseback riding, etc. We also took a good deal of time for some major laying-about in the Marival's pool loungers and down on the beach ( I do enjoy boogie-boarding and Mrs. Bob loves reading under a palapa on the beach).

I think your comment "Just vacation the way it works for you" is absolutely bang-on. We do get a little tired of anyone implying I'm not vacationing the "right" way because we prefer AI's. I know of many others on this and other BB's who stay at swanky digs, go into town to eat, shop locally and in the city but chastise those staying at AI's or north of Jalisco, suggesting they're not getting the 'real PV flavour'. Nonsense!

While I agree there are some who go to an AI and never leave the property, I'm sure there are those who stay in the City and never get beyond a couple of close, local restaurants and spend all their time on Los Muertos beach (or in the pools at their accomodation) - they're not getting any more "flavour" than we get each time we come. It's the generalizing and stereotyping that annoys me.

The one negative we noted this year at the Marival was the first week was great (nice and quiet when you wanted to stay onsite and just relax). The 2nd wasn't as quiet - the Marival had obviously offered a great deal to locals and they arrived in droves filling the place up. Tons of kids. Quite noisy the 2nd week and not so restful.

Which leads me to - how have you enjoyed the Crown Paradise? This might be the place for us next time, with the adults-only feature. We stayed at the Marival last year and had a wonderful relaxing time - no "sell offs" or massive heards all arriving at the same time. I don't think we'd go back to the Marival and risk this happening again. Any feedback on the Crown Paradise would be much appreciated!

BTW: We envy your impending trip! Have a great time!!!!!!

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by luvthis » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:49 pm

We really like the Crown Paradise. Adults only, ala-carte dining (cooked to order, hot), private balconies with ocean view, friendly staff, clean & nicely decorated rooms, marble bath & tub in bathroom. Great room service...put your order on your door handle before retiring at night & the next morning, you're enjoying your breakfast on your balcony right at the time you requested. Portions are not large, but you can order as much as you'd like. This resort is in walking distance of the marina (where many of the tours leave from) & there is a small shopping center at the end of the block (many of the cruise ship passengers shop here when they dock). The bus line is only a couple of blocks away. Also included is the use of the sister hotel & all of their facilities & food at no added charge (but they cannot use the Crown's facilities). The only negative (but we don't feel that way) is that there is not much land for this resort. So...there isn't plush foliage with lots of walkways & grassy areas. There also isn't a swim-up bar. However, they do have waiter service around the pool to take any & all drink orders you might have. The pool is a semi-olympic size with an excellent view of the ocean. They have daily pool games & activities with a very active, helpful staff. You will hear the noise of the pool activities, etc. during the day. However, in the evening & early morning, everyone is pretty sensitive to keeping the volume down. Ages of the people vary from the 18 yr. old crowd all the way thru the +55 crowd. The average is probably somewhere in the middle. This hotel has about 214 rooms, so it has a friendlier feel to it. Some of the staff have remembered us on return visits. That's a nice touch. If anyone has any questions, let me know. This is one all-inclusive that is well above the norm.

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:11 am

Hola Bob and Luvthis,
First, Bob I hope your Mrs. is feeling better.
I have missed your precise and methodical postings lately.
Luvthis, I get the feeling that many of the posters on the Puerto Vallarta websites seem to think it is politically correct to bad-mouth All Inclusive Hotels almost to the point of mass hysteria.
This amuses me, as I don't see many postings from the AI enthusiasts bad mouthing the
" other people " .
I always go all-inclusive, and so far,my holiday experiences have been very pleasant.
Some people like skiing holidays, some like sunshine and beaches, everybody's priorities and
version of what they enjoy from a holiday varies.
I understand from talking to fellow travellers in Puerto Vallarta that not all AI hotels are a pleasant experience but the same goes for the other types of hotels also.
During the month of December I will be staying A1 for two weeks, one week non-A1 in hotel row and one week non-A1 in Old Town. It will be interesting to see what my opinion will be after this holiday.
If the both of you like A1, go for it. You are paying the bill for your holiday, no one else.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:24 pm

SPUD2, Hola! Thanks for your concern - Yes, Mrs. Bob is out of hospital, recuperated and back at work. Was very stressful for her (and me) for awhile but she's definitely getting better (ordering me around and reminding me of all the things I didn't get done while she was in hospital - so I KNOW she's getting better).

I also envy you your impending PV trip! And please do provide opinions on your various modes of holidaying (AI & non-AI).

As previously indicated, my primary angst is with those who tend to generalize or stereotype AI's and those utilizing them - what's almost humourous is when someone admits they've not stayed at an AI but have authoratative opinions about them!

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:10 am

Hola Bob,
Our holiday in December is to celebrate our retirement from the daily rat race, can't wait.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:44 pm

Hola..finally someone else that shares my opinions on why I go AI most of the time, and glad to see that you also like the Crown Paradise. I have been posting comments and reviews for a while about the CP, we just had our 8th visit this June, we started staying there in 1999, so you can see we really prefer PV and the CP. I understand about the ragging we AI folk get, but I agree if you pay up front, you have a guarantee of you orginal cost and can really go wild at resturants in town if you so desire. I have gotten to the point where I will help with questions through my e-mail if someone inquires about the CP here on the board. Got to go, trying to book a stay in Feb 03. Adios
Chuck & Kay St. Louis

ken
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ken » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:49 pm

I am so glad that we have a post the don't not put down the AI. We've been to 4 AIs in Mexico and have loves all of them. I like the idea of the "fixed price" and not having to decide where to eat, get the money, and then go there. With the AI concept, I can be lazy. Moveover, we do get out a see things. In fact, I don't tink we were at the resort enough the last time.

As far as the adults only concept. We've been to 2 (not the the Crown). We were a bit apprehensive about going to one with kids. I guess you take your chances. If it has an adult pool, that helps for sure. Of course, you still have them in the restaurants. We just prefer to pick a resort out that is more spead out and less cramped in.

Bob, glad to hear you are back. Hope everything is well.

Ken in San Jo

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by luvthis » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:31 pm

[Hey Spud2, Boy, I envy you. One whole month in Puerto Vallarta. As a working person, it's hard to get more than a week at time there. One time we made it for 10 days, though. A week isn't really enough. You leave wishing you could still stay and wondering where the time went. Enjoy your AI and your non-AI accommodations & please do let us know your feedback upon your return.