budget hotel w/ nice pool. location, & beach access?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

the17pointscale
budget hotel w/ nice pool. location, & beach access?

Post by the17pointscale » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:14 am

hi, everyone. i've never been to pv, but am dreaming about the possibility. in fact, i was surfing the web so late last night that i missed my alarm this morning. oh, well, thankfully the boss didn't seem to mind...

sooo...i'm looking to cram 4 (poor) adults in an average room/suite. i figure that we'll spend most of our time in the water, so i'm primarily looking for a place with a nice pool and quick beach access. i might be getting picky, but i'd also like it to be in a nice area. hotel food and entertainment are not a priority cause i figure we can find those joys elsewhere.

does anyone have any recommendations or know any good deals?

thanks,
andrew
http://the17pointscale.blogspot.com/

flyawayplus4
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by flyawayplus4 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:18 pm

Hey... I have been looking for that kind of place. If you find the suite please let me know so I can cram my 4 adult kids into a room and have a vacation in PV with them as they too are dreaming. :)

I found one hostel in PV but it was 15 min from the Ocean.
I would not hesitate to travel that way.
The hostels of today are not like they were years ago and this one had good reports.
Good deals if you travel in the Fall and wait till last min to book.
Sell off vacations has some good prices for A1.
Good luck with your Search :)

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:55 pm

17pointscale...have a look here...what you are looking for is definitely there, availability will be your challenge...sonofdob.

(www.vallarta-info.com/hotels)

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm

Will find some of the same hotels right here on this site.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/accommoda ... ?option=BH

pkonkle
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pkonkle » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:25 pm

the17pointscale,

My wife and I (and another couple) spent 7 awesome nights in PV last March. To date it is our only trip to PV but it will not be our last. We stayed at the Tropicana. 3 words.....location, location, location. Right on the best beach in PV. Located in the Romantic Zone within walking distance to many shops and wonderful restaurants. Is it 5 star? Certainly not. But it is clean, the sunsets are killer and to experience PV you need to stay away from the big resorts. But you better have a good back because their beds are literally set on top of concrete. And don't eat at the restaurant on site. Much better spots to frequent.

Travelbug

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tropicana

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:15 pm

I would second the recommendation of the Trop. 4 adults in a room is cozy in any hotel, but as the previous poster said - it's all about location!

They have a nice pool too, and great beach access. I agree, the restaurant is spotty and there are great options walking distance away.

The rooms in the north tower are newer, but they have been working on extensive renovation of the south tower for a few years now and it's looking great.

the17pointscale
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by the17pointscale » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 am

thank you for your suggestions!!! i'm definitely going to check out the tropicana. on tripadvisor.com i saw that some people recommeded these hotels for budget folks, if anyone has an opinion about them, especially in comparison to the tropicana, please let me know --

Casa Anita y Corona del Mar
La Casa Iguana Hotel
Playa Conchas Chinas
Hotel Torre De Oro

thanks!!!

seldomred
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by seldomred » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:36 am

i met someone who stays at torre de oro everytime, and likes it fine. no idea what its like but they love it there.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Torre de Oro

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:41 am

Torre de Oro is about a block and a half up from Los Muertos beach on Pulpito, very near the Tropicana.

It's a clean, simple budget hotel that gets a lot of return business. I have friends who have done the all inclusive option there and said it was fine. You order from menus instead of eating from buffets. Pool is smallish and doesn't get full sun all day, but is good for a dip to cool off and relax. Nice courtyard, rooms are decent.

Chiles burgers/chicken right next door is a must.

I think either the Trop or the Torre de Oro would be fine so long as you know in advance neither hotel is a five star loaded resort.

SusieQ
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Four adults in 1 room

Post by SusieQ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:15 pm

We will be arriving in PV on January 15. We are staying at the San Marino. We had to book two rooms, as our kids, ages 15 and 13 are considered adults. We could not find a hotel that could accomodate four adults, unless you want to pay a premium.

My husband is adamant that the four of us will still be staying in the same room and leaving the second room empty.

Does anyone know why they consider a 15 and 13 year old adult status? Also, our Hotel has an adult only pool, we will expect that our kids would be able to go into that pool.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tour Provider

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Who did you book your package through? Many tour package companies consider any children over 12 not children anymore, so they would be deemed "adult" by the tour provider standards because there is no "teen" category.

As far as the kids being allowed in the adult pool, that is probably something you would have to check with the hotel itself on arrival.

SusieQ
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Budget Hotels, etc..

Post by SusieQ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:37 pm

We booked through Puerto Vallarta.net. It's really too bad that they don't have a category for teens.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

budget hotels

Post by susan p » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:02 pm

My favorites are: Posada de Roger, Hotel Eloisa, Hotel Rio

These are smaller hotels than any of the ones mentioned so far. all have pools and are within a few blocks from the beach.

(www.hotelposadaderoger.com)
________
JUGALLETTE
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Posada de Roger

Post by susan p » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 pm

They have quad rooms from $55-70USD depending on time of year. This is a very nice part of Old Town on Basilo Badillo, two blocks in from Playa Los Muertos the main local beach.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Hotel Eloisa

Post by susan p » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:14 pm

(www.hoteleloisa.com)

They have a fancy new website I see, that unfortunately doesn't tell you very much! but they do have 4 person rooms.

My rate sheet is old (2003) but shows:
rm with AC & color TV 4 person $89USD
rm w/fan no TV 4 pers $77
suites $120 + $10 for extra person in a suite

It is a nice 3-star hotel, rooftop pool and sundeck and a tiny pool off the lobby. Don't get an interior room as they are dark and dingy, but the exterior ones, some with balconies are good. It is just barely in off the beach (1/2 block).
________
SMOKING KILLS

thompsonwayne1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by thompsonwayne1 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Playa Los Arcos hotel. Right on the beach in the Romantic zone. About a 3 or 4 star, clean, in the middle of everything. They havbe a web site.

titustitans
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by titustitans » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Keep your search focused in the Romantic Zone/Old Town areas and you will find some good choices. These were the sites we found back in our college days and right after when we all had little money. P.V. will certainly not disappoint, and I am sure that you will join the ranks of those who continue to upgrade their hotel with each trip!!!

Enjoy!

the17pointscale wrote:thank you for your suggestions!!! i'm definitely going to check out the tropicana. on tripadvisor.com i saw that some people recommeded these hotels for budget folks, if anyone has an opinion about them, especially in comparison to the tropicana, please let me know --

Casa Anita y Corona del Mar
La Casa Iguana Hotel
Playa Conchas Chinas
Hotel Torre De Oro

thanks!!!

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

hotels

Post by susan p » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Actually I do the reverse (of upgrading my hotel each trip). The more time I spend and the more comfortable I am in PV the more local or somewhat rustic places I'm willing to try!!
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA

DonnaMark
PV Fan
PV Fan

De Alba Suites

Post by DonnaMark » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Stay at De Alba, on Aquiles Serdan. Nice clean rooms with kitchenette. Small eatery and small bar called the Blue Marlin. 1/2 block from the beach.And you can use the pool at Molina De Agua, across the street. But I don't think you want 4 in a room...

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:08 am

We stayed at Torre de Oro last year and loved it! Our room was very clean and comfortable. The staff are wonderful and very helpful. The menu changes every day and offers both mexican and "american" meals. The pool is small but certainly serves the purpose. You can sun most of the day just by moving around if you are so inclined. The beach is just a block away and Chiles is next door (a must!) and the Choco Banana is on the corner. And everything else is within close walking distance! I'm sure that you will like it!