Whats With This GCP obsession ?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tojol57
Up and Down

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:08 pm

Well the weekend is over, and i am back to reading some of the posts here on the bulletin board. And boy oh boy are my emotions all over the board this morning. Part of me just wants to go on an soap box and start just lashing out, and then part of me has already bitten my tongue twice trying to get over it... Thick skin... i have to keep reminding myself to have thick skin...

Jennybean - you are a dear. You are a strong lover of Puerto Vallarta, and have some excellent knowledge of the city. And for that i have a fond respect for you and your comments. Especially all of yours here this weekend. You know how much people like chuck, ozzy, Lorrie and me, and others do love the GCP and the staff there. Like chuck has stated many times both here and on TA it is the staff that keeps bringing us back to this resort. They have become our familia, and they just make our vacations so special each and everytime.

Chuck - you and i are the same page on so many things, that you and kay are very special to us as GCP Repeaters.

gty98270 - i am so glad that you are a repeater. that is great that you have been there 10 times in six years... that is fantastic. as for the "self proclaimed" title of Mr and Mrs Crown, that honor goes to Danny in activites. Danny "proclaimed" us Mr and Mrs Crown on our second or third visit to the resort. Neither myself nor my wife have "proclaimed" this on our own. So if my Mr Crown title upsets you or offends you, then you will have to take it up with the resort the next time you are down there. As they address us as such each and everytime we are there as well, as well as when they e-mail us. And just because i post on this BB as well as TA i dont get any special treatment at the resort that anybody else gets there. We have gotten one nice up grade in our ten trips, and once we got that upgrade, i now order and spend for that room each and every trip.

Wise guy - For years we used to go to Sandals Resorts in Montego Bay Jamaica. We have been there six times over the course of five years. And we totally enjoyed the way we were treated at this resort. We just loved the adults only all-inclusive resorts. But when we found out that for the price of one week in Jamaica, we could stay for two weeks in Puerto Vallarta. We have also spent several vacations in Nuevo Vallarta at the Hotel Sierra with some of the same love and respect there (but it was family all-inclusive). then we found the GCP, and fell in love with this resort from the moment we walked into the lobby area. We stumbled onto this diamond in the ruff one October. And as soon as we got back to Iowa, we cancelled our trip to Hotel Sierra for the following February, and haven't regretted it since. We promote, stick up for, and fight for this resort because the staff mean that much to us. Yes there are other hotels in the city, and we also promote them, as well as other resturants... oh wait, maybe i missed my kickbacks from all the resturants and clubs and bars too...

Ronald - have always liked your comments whether you are with us or against us. it is good to have a variety of opinions that is for sure. whether it is about the resorts of vallarta, the tours, the resturants... we are all here for the love of this city, the country, and most of all the people of vallarta and surrounding areas. yes many people like the smaller quaint resorts, or have condos they love to spend a month at.. etc... but this is what makes life so much fun and enjoyable... true? And keep hitting the never ending novel, and word games, and you will catch up to chuck and me soon in the posting race.

Smitty - yes maybe i do post on every topic, when i shouldn't. but then sometimes, have you noticed that the persons topic dies a slow and lingering death, or they come back with "why didn't anybody responde to my questions"... I think many people come to this website for open honest responses to their questions. Thank you for your final comment, yes i try to be positive, upbeat, and friendly to all those that pass thru here.

Sylvia - thank you for your comments and support as well. We all seem to get on each others nerves every now and then, but you said best, it takes everyone to make this board what it is. I remember one of the last times i took an extended little vacation away from the BB and you thought Ozzy and some of the others were going to call 911 to make sure nothing happened to us.

Now that i have "overkilled" this topic, addressed people that i am sure that i am going hear the wrath of everybody on this....

:wink: :lol: 8) And i am sure that i not finished with this topic either... Best of luck to all that pass this way for information about a wonderful city Puerto Vallarta...

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Morning Tom...You responded well!
Just be yourself
We all seem to get on each others nerves every now and then
I have never gotten on your nerves or anyone else's... :) have I?
:P
btw
I think wiseguy posted what he felt and how he saw it ...
There is nothing wrong with that..
I like it when honest feelings come out instead of beat around the bush stuff.
Just my humbles :)

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Up and Down

Post by luvthis » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:30 pm

tojol57 wrote:Well the weekend is over, and i am back to reading some of the posts here on the bulletin board. And boy oh boy are my emotions all over the board this morning. Part of me just wants to go on an soap box and start just lashing out, and then part of me has already bitten my tongue twice trying to get over it... Thick skin... i have to keep reminding myself to have thick skin...<snip>
Hi Tom & Lorrie

You may not remember, but I used to be a regular poster on this board promoting GCP. However, shortly before our last visit in September 2004, a very mean spirited poster blasted me as kissing up to the the hotel in order to get perks. I was so thrown by it, I pulled off the board, so as not to be accused of false praise in exchange for perks. It saddened me greatly because I am a church secretary and it hurt me to think that I was coming across that way. The same mean spirited poster said a derogatory comment about what made me think that because I was a church secretary would make any difference if I was fishing for favors. So, I stopped posting.

As you know from my latest posting last Friday, Bob & I are returning the end of August for our 7th stay at the GCP. We are very excited to see our "Mexican family" again and kick back in our "Mexican home away from home". I will be monitoring these boards for helpful info on our upcoming trip, but will not be posting very much.

It's unfortunate that a few posters insist on looking for a negative out of a positive.

I will say this one time only...Bob & I return to the GCP because we feel at home there. The staff is warm and friendly. They appear to genuinely care and their smiles radiate each time they see us return. The ammenities and ocean view is above the bar and the easy accessibility to tours, taxis, & busses is simple and inexpensive. Bob & I also prefer a resort that is for adults only. With that said, I have said all I have to say.

We will be bringing along the personalized Crown Paradise sign that was given to us on our 6th visit (9/200) with our name painted on it & will place it on our door again on this visit. Is that a perk? Did I kiss "you know what" to get that? I believe it is just a token of their appreciation for our faithfulness to their resort. Yes...the chocolate dipped strawberries were yummy too, but I believe they just care about us and wanted us to know that. Hmmm...all in the way someone chooses to look at it, I guess.

FYI...Thanks, Tom & Lorrie for the helpful info you sent to our home last Friday. We arrive on August 27. We missed visiting in 2005 due to many personal conflicts (including the death of my dad). So, this visit will be extra meaningful to us as we celebrate an early 36th wedding anniversary.

Best,
--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:31 pm

Plus4 wrote:Morning Tom...You responded well!
Just be yourself
We all seem to get on each others nerves every now and then
I have never gotten on your nerves or anyone else's... :) have I?
:P
btw
I think wiseguy posted what he felt and how he saw it ...
There is nothing wrong with that..
I like it when honest feelings come out instead of beat around the bush stuff.
Just my humbles :)
Good Morning to you too Sylvia. thank you again. I only know how to be myself. No you haven't gotten on my nerves Sylvia, i was just working with your comments about your animations etc, and put a small spin on it... :oops: sorry if that upset you or confused you.

and i truly understand where wiseguy was coming from. but for some reason this morning, emotions were worn on my shirt sleeve instead of hidden deep down inside. So many people on this bulletin board have become our friends and family, and we have never met personally... well at least not until Feb 2007 for the invasion, when many of us will get that opportunity to meet and greet each other.

Thanks again Sylvia... take care... :lol:

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tom

Post by smitty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:31 pm

You represent GCP very well and are a gentleman ! :)

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Up and Down take 2

Post by luvthis » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:33 pm

:cry: Hi Tom & Lorrie

You may not remember, but I used to be a regular poster on this board promoting GCP. However, shortly before our last visit in September 2004, a very mean spirited poster blasted me as kissing up to the the hotel in order to get perks. I was so thrown by it, I pulled off the board, so as not to be accused of false praise in exchange for perks. It saddened me greatly because I am a church secretary and it hurt me to think that I was coming across that way. The same mean spirited poster said a derogatory comment about what made me think that because I was a church secretary would make any difference if I was fishing for favors. So, I stopped posting.

As you know from my latest posting last Friday, Bob & I are returning the end of August for our 7th stay at the GCP. We are very excited to see our "Mexican family" again and kick back in our "Mexican home away from home". I will be monitoring these boards for helpful info on our upcoming trip, but will not be posting very much.

It's unfortunate that a few posters insist on looking for a negative out of a positive.

I will say this one time only...Bob & I return to the GCP because we feel at home there. The staff is warm and friendly. They appear to genuinely care and their smiles radiate each time they see us return. The ammenities and ocean view is above the bar and the easy accessibility to tours, taxis, & busses is simple and inexpensive. Bob & I also prefer a resort that is for adults only. With that said, I have said all I have to say.

We will be bringing along the personalized Crown Paradise sign that was given to us on our 6th visit (9/200) with our name painted on it & will place it on our door again on this visit. Is that a perk? Did I kiss "you know what" to get that? I believe it is just a token of their appreciation for our faithfulness to their resort. Yes...the chocolate dipped strawberries were yummy too, but I believe they just care about us and wanted us to know that. Hmmm...all in the way someone chooses to look at it, I guess.

FYI...Thanks, Tom & Lorrie for the helpful info you sent to our home last Friday. We arrive on August 27. We missed visiting in 2005 due to many personal conflicts (including the death of my dad). So, this visit will be extra meaningful to us as we celebrate an early 36th wedding anniversary.

Best,
--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin[/quote]

tojol57

Re: Tom

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:01 pm

smitty wrote:You represent GCP very well and are a gentleman ! :)

Thanks very kindly Smitty. Your comment here just gave me goose bumps. right now you really don't know how much that short phrase means to me. Thanks again.

tojol57

Jean and Bob

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:10 pm

Jean and Bob, you are welcome for any and all information i can get for you. That is not a problem or an issue for us. Best wishes on your 36th anniversary in October, i hope you celebrate it with all the gusto you can muster at the end of August. Sorry to hear of the passing of your father, you have Lorrie's and my condolences for sure.

I don't want to dredge up old news, but Jean i remember when a certain poster was on the rampage and attack of your character, your christian faith and beliefs, as well as you being a church secretary. OMG :shock: that was ugly for a little while. And i really can't blame you for not wanting back on this BB or wanting to post. he made it sound like the only reason we do go back to the GCP was because we asked for favors, or asked for free upgrades, or asked for specialty items or whatever...

I have never ever walked up to the GM, or Guest Relations, or Food and Bevearage and asked for "special favors from them". If anything has happened to us, it is because we don't act like they owe us the world because of how many times we have stayed there, or ask for the world when we are there. They all have become brother and sisters to us. We treat each and every staff member just like we like to be treated. With a smile, open arms, and with love and honosty.

Thanks for stopping back into the website Jean, and thanks for remembering Lorrie and Me as well. Talk to you soon.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Clearly, we all have somewhat different traveling styles. I returned 3 weeks ago from a 6-night camping trip in the eastern Sierra and White Mtns, and to some that would be a nightmarish experience. My wife and I, both 48, enjoyed it more than our 15 yr old daughter and friend did, and let me tell, you, the ground as your mattress does not get any more comfy with the passing yrs.

Still, we enjoy the *roughing it* aspect of it all, just as we more appreciate the smaller PV properties, as well as those a bit more remote, as opposed to the larger resorts. (For the record, our last 2 stays were at the Presidente and the old Camino Real.) While it has also struck me that, at a glance, there seems to be many who seem to prefer a small handful of properties, these posts are coming from the same ppl who have been here and post regularly and are *known*. I'm far more suspicious of the motives of those who post something seeming noteworthy with a new log in, esp negative comments, who then disappear into thin air. If there's anyone whose motives I might question, it would be the latter.

tojol57

Interesting

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 pm

:-|3

Interesting comment and observation rossk. After reading the original post and some of the succeeding comments i never thought that. Glad you enjoy your camping outing. Some days Lorrie's idea of "ruffing" it, is calling room service. :wink: :lol: 8) :roll: Just teasing honey!!!

but every body has different travel thoughts, ideas and plans... you make a vacation what you want out of it. And i do enjoy catching up with the in-laws when they go camping (yes it is with a fifth wheel unit), but still, sitting around the campfire with other campers, being out and about in the local area, etc. just a different style of vacation or weekend get away right....

rosie

have you noticed...

Post by rosie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:44 pm

that wiseguy has not responded to any of the posts following his/her diatribe? obviously "it" has achieved it's goal ... to inflame.
It is beyond me why anyone here feels the need to defend their actions to anyone, especially when you are paying the bills for your vacation!
Enjoy what you do and how you do it, no one's opinion on how and where you spend your time means a damn thing.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:45 pm

As I write this I notice that there are over 460 'views' of this thread in the only two days since it was created. Shows that there is a lot of interest which keeps this board alive and as interesting as it is.

I think if we all remember the old kids thing that sticks and stones can break bones, but names can never hurt you, we'll get along fine. I can't wait for February to finally meet some of you, as you allow me to share a little of my life with yours while actually learning something.

I know that I learn something every day. Some posters (Jennybean and Mogens for instance) are so knowledgeable about everything PV, that I would just like to buy each of them a drink as a thanks if I ever meet them.

Last January my grandson and I counted 27 jets that took off leaving PV in just under three hours. If every jet had 150 seats thats 4000 passengers or 2000 rooms that had left that morning. That tells me that all of the hotels are busy, (ours was sold out) and hopefully everyone going have had a great time at the hotel of their choice. With that kind of traffic count, it is actually surprising to me that there are so few complaints on either TA or this Board.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 pm

A while back on a different forum I was looking for input on overnight Yelapa accommodations, and received not one but 2 different extremely negative reviews on a property, both from first time posters. They went to such lengths to completely slam this place, the owners and every small detail regarding their stay that it was obvious someone had an axe to grind.

I never saw either poster again, assuming of course that it was actually 2 different ppl.

tojol57

Private Conversations

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Several of us, thru private conversations (e-mails, PM's, IM conversations) have noticed this as well. We have noticed this not only against the GCP but various tours, or the HUGE praises for the mega resorts where it is tough to get personal with the staff, some other guests, etc. Right now, as i reflect thru this thread again... i think those people that are "unhappy" with their life, or lifestyle, etc. go on the offensive just to get a reaction from anybody and everybody, especially those of us that truly enjoy the GCP. We have found it here as well as TA and other websites. I personally think some of these people come here and do this is because of the immediate reaction they get.

Rosie - have you also noticed not only has wiseguy been back, but neither has gty98270. And he has been to the GCP 10 times, and is a proclaimed lover of this resort, and gets all the best upgrades etc because of "who" he is. i guess i will just live my vacation to the GCP in his shadows since he is so wise and knows so much more than i will every know about this resort and their staff... But i have to enjoy your last statement the best .... Enjoy what you do and how you do it, no one's opinion on how and where you spend your time means a damn thing. Now this is a great statement to go by as well...

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:35 pm

Of course wiseguy posted to inflame...... :roll:
Also when flames are lit many respond :) as we have seen here on this thread..Tis Human nature. :)
There are lots of usernames that pop up post once or twice and disappear...into thin air..and some computer whizzes know how to change their ip's when ever their heart desires ..
I guess it is just part of board life.

Good Morning to you too Sylvia. thank you again. I only know how to be myself. No you haven't gotten on my nerves Sylvia, i was just working with your comments about your animations etc, and put a small spin on it... sorry if that upset you or confused you.

Tongue was in cheek Tom... :)

DonnaMark
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by DonnaMark » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Guess thats why they make salt AND pepper; everyone likes different things. If you are happiest at an AI resort, then by all means enjoy. We have found that the true essence of PV lies in the city, not north of it. By staying in the smaller posadas or by renting a condo or apt, one can really fall into the neighborhood, and sense the true beauty of PV. Exhanging ideas, language, comraderie, and of course, pesos. We like to find cantinas and restaraunts that are not listed on these forums. Street food is great. The E. Zapata market is a great place for food shopping. Best bread in PV: Rizzo's. Sometimes choices are limited in shopping; guess you have to try something new.
There is a constant article I have read, think its the Tribune, about the guy who takes a boat tour from an AI in Nuevo, and as the boat is passing the Malecon, he states" Thats a pretty little town, what's the name?"
I can actually see some of the advantages of all the AI's, and may even want to got to one someday, just for the relaxation. But if you spend all yout time in your resort, you can't say you have visited Puerto Vallarta.
And it seems to me that if you do venture out of the resort, then any monetery savings are going up in smoke.
Just my 2 centavos.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skepticism

Post by webmaster » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:13 pm

I've just read through all this thread (long and in a short time). I'll add some comments, as always I'll be as honest as possible.

First off I think Wise Guy's concerns are justified and his voicing them are healthy. At times the GCP posters may come across as fanatical and this can make you think their comments are not 100% unbiased, making their comments less valuable. If the GCP posters get a chance to express themselves and in a sense "prove" that they are normal people, with no special perks, kickbacks, etc., then their comments once again become valuable and less biased. I think this thread though starting off on a negative but constructive criticism has become a positive thread that has cast a positive light on all posters and mods. So that's great.

Second, I try to help on subjects relating to Vallarta but due to my lack of knowledge I normally only contribute with technical aspects, like a map here, a thread digest there and a few isolated comments there and there, the real knowledgeable guys and gals out there have already responded further up on this thread and anyone that frequents this forum knows full well who they are.

Third, luvthis, I am very saddened to hear that one poster scared you away from this forum, I recommend that anyone that encounters problems while posting, replies that are personal attacks both through the forum, private messageing and e-mail, please contact the mods or me and we'll see what can be done. We are many members and it'd be best if we all get along together, if not the rotten apples will be kindly requested to leave (the boot :-)).

Glad to have you all onboard (or is that onforum? ;-))

Greetings

Mogens

tojol57

Bravo

Post by tojol57 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:50 pm

E)E E)E 8V8 8V8 E)E E)E

[goodpost] :-)4

Good one Mogens. Excellent point of view.

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Sorry Sylvia, I don't understand your use of the "eyerolling" emoticon, what is obvious to you apparently wasn't to others.

Tom, one of the best tag lines I have ever seen is:
"just because a donkey brays doesn't mean it needs to be answered"
and now that there has been such controversy over GCP, I will make a point of checking it out in Oct. Who knows, there may be a new convert!

pvfunlover
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvfunlover » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 pm

I just wish November would hurry up and get here so I can get back to the GCP(for my 5th visit)!