Whats With This GCP obsession ?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Wise Guy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Whats With This GCP obsession ?

Post by Wise Guy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:49 pm

I have been going to Puerto Vallarta For about 7 year now and I check into this site often to see it anything is new or changed with PV. Lately it seem a few individuals have taken over and assumed the role of self appointed ambassador...They feel they have to respond to every post to this forum....If a waiter farts at the GCP they email an apology.
Its become a joke... they make it seem that the GCP is the only Hotel in PV worth staying at... It quite obvious there SHILLs for the hotel And they get there freebees like honeymoon suites, free breakfasts with the owners etc.
I say to all "there is life, and other good hotels in Puerto Vallarta"....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:21 pm

No my friend you got it wrong. I know there are plenty of great hotels in PV. It's just some of us have gotten an attachment to the people that work there.

I've been to 6 resorts in the Mayan Riviera from PdC on down to Akumal and we have never done any of those twice. It's mainly because the people working there are really nice, they just haven't made as great of an impression on us as the total staff at the GCP.

Also, when we have stayed at the GCP and everything during the vacation has been fantastic, ie the people, food, drink, and accomodations, why switch. If I know I'm going to be 100% pleased with my vacation destination, why switch?

BTW in the last 12 times staying there, we have been upgraded to the master suite just once, and that was for our 25th anniversary and my 50th birthday combined. That doesn't sound like shill kickback to me.

Thanks for you opinion. And only because I'm in good mood today, I won't mention the old saying about "opinions". :lol:

OneDayPVtoStay
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by OneDayPVtoStay » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:47 pm

What I don't get is why anyone wants to pay all that money to stay at the GCP. I checked out a 28 day rate for November and got a total of $6981.52 for these days. The same stay at the Royal Decameron is $3240.16. That is a huge difference. Although I do not doubt the truth of the claims about the GCP in the slightest, the Royal Decameron for its faults is still a very nice resort.

In my humble opinion I think the best value for the money is the RD and we are going back for our third time for 28 days in November. We will spend the $3700 we save on a hell of alot of sailing trips, tours, restaurant meals, and airfare and still have some left in the bank when we get home.

I did my price check at Itravel2000.com and got prices in Canadian dollars.

Feel free to tell me why I should spend the extra $3700 at the GCP.

By the way I think the most important part of a tropical resort is the beach, ocean, and the waves. The RD is excellent in this area, with GREAT boogie boarding.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:51 pm

I for one do not share their zeal for the GCP, however I do enjoy the dialogue that occurs between these guys on this board and Trip Advisor. Joke it is not, humorous if not downright funny sometimes yes.

I share Chuck's feelings that if you enjoy the place you go to, and have never had the problems that others seem to encounter, then why switch, and of course, stick up for the place if you think they are being stupid. If you are someone who takes and has taken regular vacations in different locations, and comparing apples to apples, you definitely do have preferences on where to spend your hard earned money.

My family has found that the Melia is the place to be since it is modelled on the original Garden of Eden and meets our definition of paradise. And up to this point we haven't been kicked out because we don't eat the fruit on their trees or pee in their pools. I envision these other guys as guests of that copycat paradise place (Nirvana) (some people like sunflowerz instead refer to it as hell) that provides an equally enjoyable vacation for everybody, especially those interested in the Adults Only restriction. LOL

As far as posting regularly, well I'm just trying to catch up to Chuck and Tom so I can be famous too. I find that the word game and the never ending novel is helping me get them numbers up.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:03 am

OneDayPVtoStay wrote:What I don't get is why anyone wants to pay all that money to stay at the GCP. I checked out a 28 day rate for November and got a total of $6981.52 for these days. The same stay at the Royal Decameron is $3240.16. That is a huge difference. Although I do not doubt the truth of the claims about the GCP in the slightest, the Royal Decameron for its faults is still a very nice resort.

In my humble opinion I think the best value for the money is the RD and we are going back for our third time for 28 days in November. We will spend the $3700 we save on a hell of alot of sailing trips, tours, restaurant meals, and airfare and still have some left in the bank when we get home.

I did my price check at Itravel2000.com and got prices in Canadian dollars.

Feel free to tell me why I should spend the extra $3700 at the GCP.

By the way I think the most important part of a tropical resort is the beach, ocean, and the waves. The RD is excellent in this area, with GREAT boogie boarding.
I would never want to try to sell you on the GCP for that price. When I get my trips I pay anywhere from $650pp 7 nights to $850pp 7 nights and that includes air from STL. Most of the time it is equal or better than most hotels people are talking about.

No buffets and no kids are two of those things that I try to look for. And as for boogie boarding or other activities like that I have given them up since turning 50 several years ago. I had spent my late teens and early 20's doing that in San Diego and further up the coast to Monteray, so I've seen some awsome surfing. Now my vacations are catching rays at the pool, meeting other guests, sampling the fine beverages and eating good food.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

What Gives?

Post by Jennybean » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:45 am

I guess my question then is to those on this thread slamming the GCP...is what is your obsession with those who enjoy it and talk it up?

What makes this message board different than Trip Advisor and the literally hundreds of Dreams or Royal Decameron fans? They love their hotels, have found a place that suits them and they're happy to talk it up. How does that suddenly make them an employee or someone reaping some super secret benefits?

I hype small budget Mexican hotels - how come no one comes down on ME for that? I mean, according to the posters on this thread I should be getting mega kickbacks. Where's my 50 peso fridge dammit? Where's my...well, what kind of kickbacks should I be expecting from the under $50 a night hotels anyway, can someone tell me? :lol:

Seriously people, what's the deal? If people here like the GCP, big friggin deal. At TA they adore Dreams and the RDC...I should know, I'm there enough to roll my eyes that every second new thread is about one or the other of those hotels. Do we accuse those people, or anyone slamming the GCP here of getting kickbacks? Maybe we should. Turnabout is fair play and all. If you're going to toss the accusations, better be prepared to put up the proof that the GCP lovers are getting the rewards or shut up, I say.

Not everyone is looking for the cheapest possible deal out there and expecting a 5 star experience. I'm living proof of that - someone who travels to PV on a budget and gets more than what I pay for. There are people who are prepared to and willing to pay for the five star treatment up front. They believe the GCP gives it to them. So why is it suddenly open season to insult them for that choice? I don't have the money to stay there, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who DOES choose that as their favourite return destination.

Lighten the h#ll up, people.

gty98270
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Whats With This GCP obsession ?

Post by gty98270 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 am

I am a regular at the GCP. 10 times in 6 years. I do not post on this bulletin board and still get and still receive all the perks of being a regular guest. I am treated very special when I arrive and throughout my stay. It is just good business to treat returning guests with extra perks.
I see the postings by the self proclaimed " Mr. and Mrs. GCP" and kind of "chuckle". I get treated as well or better than they but l prefer to keep a keep a low profile. I will continue to patronize The GCP because of the way I am treated and the friends I have made. Why be a regular customer at another resort ???????

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:08 pm

In reply to the above 2 posts, Jennybean, very good retort. I thank you for being understanding about my obsession with this resort. I'm really not, though I think I'm obsessed with the staff and the fact that I know exactly what to expect for my $800 for a week.

I've tried to put together a trip from St. Louis by getting my own air and a less expensive resort. After figuring in the same quality of food and drink to be bought during that time, the math says by doing it myself, I can just about reach the break-even mark.

I cannot stress enough our fondness of all of the people who work at this resort. I'm sure they are a major reason there are so many GCP repeaters.

gty98270, I also like your post. You are as bad about returning there as we (12 times in 7 years). We have only been upgraded once and that is fine. I feel like someones' favorite uncle when I'm there, I think you may know what I mean. You are remembered, asked how you are and if there is anything that can make our stay better. Poly serves you multiple appetizers, entres if you can't make a decision from the fine items listed on that night's menu. The bartenders remember you prefer premium booze and what you drink. Everyone greats you with a smile, an "Hola" and a buenas dias. They even comment either positively or negatively on the Mexican soccer jerseys that I wear. That always starts a discussion about who is the best or favorite team.

Except for knowing and talking to the staff as if we are long time amigos, we require very little attention while staying there. My joy begins upon being greated by Francisco and Manuel after arriving through their "Come back soon" and hearty hand shake prior to boarding the bus back home. I think it would take a lot of searching for us to find the same friendly atmosphere somewhere else.

Thanks for putting up my rambling.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Jenny- Well I've yet to get a free frig, but they do bring me lots of towels at Posada Roger! But that's probably because I tip Rosa well. I did get the high compliment one year because I'd referred so many people to them, from the manager... "Yes, Susan is a good friend to this hotel." Made my day!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm

It really is the simple things, right?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Laughing

Post by Jennybean » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Well I just had to giggle a bit...

There are 20 threads on this first page right now. 3 are GCP related (including one with someone asking about GCP vs. Villa Premiere - oops! mentioned another hotel!), 2 are RDC related (including a 3 page thread on that resort alone), and the rest are a smattering of inquiries ranging from condo info to timeshare trades to other various hotels around Vallarta.

Hardly what I would call a GCP-centric environment.

And quite frankly, even those of you obsessed :wink: with GCP still take the time to offer people information about other hotels. And quite frankly, if people are going to be so obsessed with the "GCP Frequent Flyers", enough that they're going to accuse them of taking kickbacks to talk the place up, I don't hanker well to that. I've been accused of the same thing over the years I've been going to PV and it gets my back up every time. Knowing a good hotel, restaurant, tour, waiter, bartender, sports bar, beach club....WHATEVER...and recommending that place highly to someone who may be new to the area doesn't make you an employee, or someone with an ulterior motive. It makes you someone willing to share your knowledge of the area.

You've probably all noticed I mention places like the Posada de Roger, CYC, La Tia Catrina, Brisas del Mar, Dee's Coffee Company, La Piazzetta, etc etc. quite often. Other than Dee herself picking me up at the airport last year when I arrived (and she did that because we're friends and from the same hometown in Alberta - I didn't ask, she offered), I've never received anything free anywhere that I've mentioned. I recommend them because I've received good service, they have a good product, and they offer it at good prices.

But I've been accused over the years of getting freebies at all of them.

There are enough hotels all over Vallarta that everyone will have a favourite they return to for whatever reason. I just don't understand what compels someone to slag people they don't know for talking up what they feel is a great facility for the money. Is it jealousy? What? I mean, I just don't get that. I'd love to be in a position to spoil myself just once and stay two weeks at a luxury place and let someone pamper me...but I'm realistic about my situation, I travel alone and those places would make my travel piggybank weep. And that's fine, I certainly don't begrudge anyone who HAS the means to stay there. You know what you want, you know what to expect, and you're willing to pay the extra to get it.

Anyways, bottom line is - wherever someone loves to stay in Vallarta will be the best place in the world to them. Just like my favourite place will be the best place for me. Variety is the spice of life, and wouldn't it be damned boring if everyone liked the same things? And wouldn't it also be a pain in the *** trying to get into the GCP if we ALL loved it as much as a handful here do? LOL

Susan:
Jenny- Well I've yet to get a free frig, but they do bring me lots of towels at Posada Roger! But that's probably because I tip Rosa well. I did get the high compliment one year because I'd referred so many people to them, from the manager... "Yes, Susan is a good friend to this hotel." Made my day!
Hee...Rosa always brought me extra towels too. And she was the recipient of a beach bag and two pairs of flipflops from me at the end of the trip I didn't want to pack for home. So instead of ME getting the kickback, SHE did! :lol:

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:51 pm

What is wrong with the people that enjoy GCP saying so? I have never seen any of the GCP fans bad mouthing another place. When you treat a place right, it treats you right. It is obvious that the GCP supporters do that.

If anyone feels that someone gushes over GCP, then YOU take it with a grain of salt and move on. I take it as people that enjoy the place and no more. I do own a T/S that is part of it, but have owned there way before the CP or the GCP was what it now is. I use our Suite at the Marina de Oro one week a year and then move on to the Velas for 2 more weeks. I think the place is every bit of OK.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

My Thoughts

Post by smitty » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 pm

To be honest , I think the GCP posts on this forum are done beyond obsession . Anyone that spends any time here and says otherwise is either blind or a liar . It's quite obvious Tom is a guy who is going to post on every subject no matter what . Vacuous isn't in his vocabulary. That said , he is positive and very friendly .

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:28 pm

I ditto Smitty's words.
I also agree that Tom is friendly and positive and you know... the board is quiet without him around.
It takes everyone to make this board what it is.

I have used the words overkill for some of the topics on the board ...then I thought who am I to talk...I overkill graphics and animations and...
:)

If we want to see more topics and more Resorts discussed then it is up to us to start the threads and get it going...Simple as that. :)

btw ..wiseguy I could not help but smile when I read your post..
waiters don't toot ...do they :lol:

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: My Thoughts

Post by Jennybean » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:05 am

smitty wrote:To be honest , I think the GCP posts on this forum are done beyond obsession . Anyone that spends any time here and says otherwise is either blind or a liar . It's quite obvious Tom is a guy who is going to post on every subject no matter what . Vacuous isn't in his vocabulary. That said , he is positive and very friendly .
I'm trying to determine whether that's a compliment or a tacit agreement that it's ok to slag someone for loving the resort they stay in. (???)

Because ultimately that's what the problem is here - is it okay to do that? And freedom being what it is, we all carry the option of choice. We all have the choice to NOT read the GCP posts if they don't want to.

I personally get tired of certain other kinds of posts made here with increasing regularity. Do I tell people not to post them? Do I make snide remarks about them, or tell people they must have an ulterior motive for posting as they do? No. I simply choose not to read them and move on to something else.

A choice we all have, and maybe more should exercise?

north
PV Fan
PV Fan

My Thoughts

Post by north » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:48 am

As Jennybean has so eloquently put it, everyone has the choice as whether or not to read various posts. As she says, if you don't want to read GCP posts, don't read them.

Jennybean does not tell people not to post nor does she make snide remarks about them. She simply chooses not to read them and moves on. It is a choice we all have and maybe more should exercise?

I think she has given us all some good advice. Subjects are obvious and poster's names become known. If it is not of interest to you or the poster irritates you, don't read the post. As Jennybean says, she simply chooses not to read them. Good advice for all of us.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:48 am

We all do not post as eloquently as Jenny does and we like her have opinions ...can we not voice them as she does???
and as far as I am concerned this is the end of the topic!!!

rosie

more "obsessions"

Post by rosie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 am

I "obsess" over Memo's coffee, Lucy's Cu Cu Cabana, Hacienda Alemeda, Andales sweet rolls and breakfast with Dave, Huichol galleries, the vendors on Los Muertos ... heck, beach vendors anywhere! (love them!), the resident cats at the Book Store ... my list can go on ad nauseum ... everyone has their favourite experiences and given an opportunity I talk up places in PV that I am fond of to anyone that asks. Nothing wrong with that.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 am

While we have made multiple trips over the past 10 years, we have only stayed in the same resort twice. We have been to Los Tules, Holiday Inn twice, condo in Nuevo Vallarta, BuenaVentura, La Jolla de Mismaloya, Fiest Americana....etc....Bouncing around provides different scenery (if you will), however, a relationship with the staff is never truly solidified by doing so.
Let us choose where we stay and what we do.
Tom & Chuck (among many others) love the GCP - that's where they choose to stay and spend their vacation pesos!
More fun for them if sticks-in-the-mud aren't around!!!

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 am

Personally, I like staying in quaint, little mexican hotels in old town. Wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Much like these folks who like the hotel in question. Each man to his own.

I have seen a lot of GCP posts but, never bother to read them.