GCP November 3-November 10, 2007

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
GCP November 3-November 10, 2007

Post by luvthis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm

:D Arrived on Saturday, Nov. 3 at around 8:30 p.m. Greeted with welcome drink and cold wet washcloth. Check in was easy and Ricardo had saved us oceanfront rooms on the 4th floor. Bob & I had a king bed, while our son Rob and my friend Barb were next door with 2 double beds. Myrna had things just like we had hoped. We changed quickly and went to the Disney review show at Nitro across the street at 9:30 p.m. I quickly downed 3-Sol beers...ahh...they were cold and good. We were back with our GCP family for our 8th stay.

Sunday, Nov. 4 was our son's 34th birthday. I made sure everyone around knew so lots of Happy Birthday's were offered to him. Rob & Bob took off to No Name Sports Bar on the Malecon to watch the Packer Game, while Barb & I checked out the grounds. We introduced ourselves to Myrna. She is a very sweet, efficient person, with a huge smile and a passion to make sure everyone at the GCP will have a great vacation. Then, it was over to the pool bar to introduce Barb to Aldo. It was so good to see him again. His welcoming smile said it all! I asked him to mix us one of his specialties and we sat down with a spectacular Mexican Snowball. Needless to say, if we turned our back to him with a near empty glass, we would turn back around to another full glass..ha! Then, we headed over to the swim-up bar. The bartender was Luis (he'd been there for 20 days). He is a very cute little Mexican with a contagious smile and a willingness to pour whatever, whenever, as much of any and all things, with an enthusiasm that doesn't quit. I then walked Barb around the Crown Paradise Resort. There were oodles of families there and mucho kids. It made me very glad we could walk back to the Golden, where no kids were allowed. I showed her the strip mall of stores and she immediately heard, "come on in. have a look. almost free today. i make you a good price, just for you, etc." She quickly learned the Mexican salesman's ways. Back at the GCP, Rob & Bob returned with smiles on their faces (cause the Packers won!) and we all shared dinner at Salvadors. We had a very tender steak in the newly decorated restaurant.

The week flew by.

Monday, Nov. 5, Barb & Rob spent the day at the swim-up bar with Luis. Needless to say, the tequila took it's toll. They were in no condition to experience Polly's sexy coffee or dinner at Paradise, so Bob & I had dinner for two instead of four at Paradise that night. Although totally toasted, Rob & Barb totally enjoyed the "Tequila Experience" and Bob & I made sure they had dinner in their room, via room service, and were safely tucked into bed for the night. Believe it or not, they were both fine the next day, with only limited memories of the later hours of that memorable,but forgotten day...ha!

Tuesday was a relaxing day. We went over to the new supermarket (only about a 2 minute walk from the hotel) and made reservations to take the City Tour on Wednesday. Then, all four of us had dinner at Paradise and Barb enjoyed one of Polly's sexy coffees. I must admit that the food in Paradise is not very reliable. The steaks that Barb & Rob had were like shoe rubber, but the prime rib Bob & I had was tender enough to cut. The shrimp Bob & I had the night before was a bit overcooked and chewy. However...no problem. The ambiance was great, the view spectacular, and Polly & Maria are always a joy to see.

Wednesday, we all took the City Tour. Bob & I had done this many years ago but opted to repeat it to spend the day with Rob & Barb. It was a worthwhile tour, showing them the city and the mountains, with lunch on the cliff and a tequila factory tour on the way back. We all bought some flavored tequila to take home. Back at the GCP, we returned to the swim-up bar for a quick refreshment and then cleaned up for dinner at the French restaurant, San Souis, which we enjoyed. Then, we went to Nitro for the Broadway Review show.

Thursday, our son took the Four Wheel/Zipline/Tequila tour alone. The rest of us were just too old, too chubby, and too out of shape to want to give it a try. We spent the day in the jacuzzi and the pool, drinking Aldo's Mexican Snowballs and other blended drinks. Rob returned very excited about his day. He enjoyed driving up into the mountains on his 4 wheeler and doing about 15 zip lines. The guides called him Speedy Gonzalez because he had no fear and zipped quickly down each line, twisting and circling when possible. He had a taco lunch, another tequila factory visit and then drove back to town on his 4 wheeler. It was a successful day. Tonight, we ate at the Italian restaurant and I think Rob enjoyed that food the best of the week, as he was more familiar with the choices. Then, it was over to Nitro for the Hollywood Review.

Friday, we lounged around the pool, went to the swim-up bar for a bit, and just plain did nothing. Dinner was a "Repeater's Party" on the beach. There were over 40 of us, enjoying drinks, chicken, veggies, and chocolate cake" just after sunset, on tables & chairs with white tablecloths and soft torch lighting. They took a group picture with the ocean behind us and each couple was given a complementary copy to take home. Myrna & Portefilio & Polly did a great job in making the night memorable. They kindly invited our son & my friend to the meal, even though they were not repeaters. After dinner, we went across the street for the Latin Night show. We had to check out of our room by noon on Saturday.

Saturday, we checked out of our rooms by noon, but we had the whole day in PV and did not have to go to the airport until after 6 p.m. We had a great breakfast, lounged around the pool, went over to the new Hooters for Rob to experience & get a few pictures with "the Hooter girls" and then returned to the GCP for the afternoon. We shopped at the small huts down the beach a couple of hotels, and then jumped in the pool one last time, before cleaning up and having our "last supper". Bob & I ate in the new Mexican restaurant, while Rob & Barb ate outside at the Bella Vista. We enjoyed the new restaurant. The food was good and the atmosphere more structured (appetizer, salad, soup, entree, and dessert) more like Salvadors and Paradise, but without the need for reservations or long pants. Bob & I walked down to the beach for one last moment under a beach canopy as the sun began to set.

Finally, the sad moment when they cut off the wrist band and we jumped in the cab to the airport.

The vacation was wonderful. It was great to see our GCP family again. We met many new people and talked to many multi-repeaters like ourselves. What brings us back every year? The staff, the value, and Puerto Vallarta's charm. Although each year a few more things seem to be cut-back on, it is made up with in other ways. Was all the food excellent? No. Did everything go perfectly? No. Will we return again next year? Heck yes! We have no major complaints at all. We had a few "marginal meals", but so what. It isn't like we couldn't just eat something else or wait an hour and eat again somewhere else. We had room service breakfast 3 mornings and it always came when requested, with a smile from the waiter and a view on the balcony to die for. Our maid was exceptional, making sure we always had extra coffee packets and extra water, as I had only asked for the first morning we were there. I have read people complain about lack of towels or late room service on some of the message boards, but ya know what? It was never a problem for us. She worked long hours, very faithfully, and even though our rooms weren't made up until after 3:00 p.m. each day, she never missed a thing and making sure it was done right.

Sorry to be so long winded. Barb & Rob enjoyed their first-time visit to Puerto Vallarta and the GCP. Both said they would love to return again and felt the staff, accommodations and value were great. As far as Bob & go. We will return next year to see our GCP family again.

FYI...the weather was perfect. No rain...lower humidity...mid-80 temps during the day and cooler temps at night and early morning (in the lower 70's). Absolutely wonderful. There were a few sunsets that were picture postcard quality.

Thanks, Ricardo & Myrna & Aldo & Polly & Luis & Portefilio and all the rest of the staff for another wonderful vacation. Also, "hola" to the many repeaters we met and the many new friends we made.

--Jean & Bob Modrow
Racine, WI :D

tojol57

So happy 4 u

Post by tojol57 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:52 pm

that is a great report Jean... we can't wait to get down there and see all our friends and family that you described in your wonderful report.. ours won't be as hectic as yours but i am sure we will find some things to amuse us this trip...

thanks for telling everybody hello for us, and thank you for warming us up for our trip down. we can't wait to get there... five more sleeps...

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Happy 50th, Tom

Post by luvthis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:38 pm

:wink: I reminded Myrna of your upcoming visit and your big birthday. She was well on top of things. The weather in November is much more comfortable than when we usually go in September. In fact, we may opt to pay the extra to go in November again next year. They emptied the sand bags while we were there so the rainy seaon must be officially over...ha! One morning they were trimming the palm trees. Wow...the guy climbed the tree with a rope, bare feet, a basic rope to secure around him, and a machete. Good grief! One night we were able to release a baby turtle along with many other guests. I named my turtle Jose and I watched him slowly crawl to the ocean until the wave swept him out to sea. Very interesting and yet very sad to think that only a few of those released will live long enough to grow up.

Happy 50th birthday! We met the Felbobs (multi-repeaters) while we were there. They upgraded to the 7th floor honeymoon suite and really seemed to be pleased to be pampered with the luxury, the space, and the jacuzzi's that unit afforded them. I know you & Lorri enjoy the "suite life" as well.

Have a great vacation and give us all an update upon your return from Paradise, okay?

--Jean & Bob
Racine, WI

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:35 am

thanks for the report...sounds like a great week...I really must check out this GCP sometime...sonofdob.

tojol57

Thanks

Post by tojol57 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks for the well wishes and the information Jean and Bob... we are looking forward to getting back home again too... glad to hear that somebody got to enjoy our "house" on the 7th floor... the views are fantastic, the jaccuzi is wonderful as well as having the fridge stocked daily if not hourly ha ha ha ha .....

i will let you know the 50th birthday parties go as well... and yes i said PARTIES...

tom and lorrie

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:36 pm

Sounds like you had a very good holiday..

Thanks for posting :)

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Hola mi amigos Jean y Bob. Sounds like you had a fantastic time in PVR and at the GCP. I am glad to hear that your son and friend had a great time as well! Only 4 more sleeps and we will be down there. I can't wait to see all of our wonderful familia y amigos. :D I'm glad that Dany is dancing at Club Nitro. Hopefully, we will get to see him. We were so sad when he left the GCP. He had been there since the beginning and as Tom mentioned was the one that tagged us with Mr. and Mrs. Crown Paradise. Hopefully, the next 3 days at work will go by quickly and then look out!! We are off for a wonderful week to Paradise to celebrate someone's 50th birthday!! I sure hope he remembers this when I turn 50 (several years from now)? Ha! Ha! :lol:

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:24 pm

remember what???????