Are US or Canadian dollars still accepted in PV?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

aophoto
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Are US or Canadian dollars still accepted in PV?

Post by aophoto » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 am

Hello to everyone.

I come to PV every year and I will be there in couple of weeks, but I was told by someone that US or Canadian dollars are not accepted by anyone anymore, even banks.

Can someone let me know if that is true, because last year I was still able to use both currencies.

Thanks

Last edited by aophoto on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorrieann1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lorrieann1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:45 pm

We just returned from PV on Tuesday and didn't see anyone having difficulties using either currency. Hope that helps :)

aophoto
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks

Post by aophoto » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:53 pm

lorrieann1 wrote:We just returned from PV on Tuesday and didn't see anyone having difficulties using either currency. Hope that helps :)
Thanks for the info, I think that maybe this is something they will be implementing in the future.

lorrieann1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lorrieann1 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:07 am

I sure hope not. Hope that you have a great time! We sure did!

aophoto
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by aophoto » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I am sure I will have a great time.

I don't remember even once not to have a great time.
That is why I keep going back every year, and I think it is the same for other people on here.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:22 pm

I think this is what you're thinking of.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations ... s/127503/1

American travelers bound for Cancun and other popular Mexican destinations have long been able to pay for meals, souvenirs and other goods or services in U.S. dollars instead of pesos.

But under a new currency law that took effect last month, restaurants, stores and other businesses can now accept a maximum of $100 in cash per transaction. Tour operators Apple Vacations and Funjet Vacations are warning customers that "certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to, accept U.S. dollars for any purchase at all, " and airlines at Mexican airports can no longer accept U.S. cash for checked bag fees or other charges, says Tim Smith at American Airlines.

Effective Sept. 14, as part of an effort to stem drug-related money laundering, the Mexican government capped the amount of dollars foreigners can trade for pesos at banks and money exchangers to no more than $1,500 per month.

The $100 limit per transaction on cash purchases in dollars, which also took effect Sept. 14, "is causing a lot of confusion within Mexico," admits Tim Wheatcroft, a spokesman for the tourism board in Baja California. Implementation and enforcement varies widely; in Baja California, the government is "urging merchants to accept dollars on all purchases, even those over $100," says Wheatcroft.

The laws don't affect credit or debit card purchases, or the amount of pesos that U.S. travelers can withdraw from Mexican ATM machines. But, the tourism board adds, U.S. travelers should purchase pesos before they arrive in Mexico "to minimize any inconvenience the exchange cap at banks may cause. "

" I think businesses are feeling their way through it, but I know it's starting to make an impact (and) many places are not accepting (U.S. cash)," says Kelly McLaughlin, author of the blog A Canuck in Cancun.
TIM

aophoto
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by aophoto » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 am

Yes, I think this is what they were talking about.