Puerta Vallarta versus The Caribbean

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

JHD from Texas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Puerta Vallarta versus The Caribbean

Post by JHD from Texas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:30 am

I have never been to PV but have been to St. Maarten and St. Lucia in the Caribbean. The water quality in the Caribbean is so green and crystal clear. How does the beach and water quality in PV compare with the Caribbean? Also, how is the quality of activities, restaurants and night life compare?

flyawayplus4
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by flyawayplus4 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:54 pm

I think your question is a very good one and I have asked the question before too.
I have not been to the Caribbean but the picture in my mind is how you descibe the water. Green and Crystal Clear.
The Water by Puerto Vallarta is not crystal clear or Green.
I will not even swim in the Ocean there anymore after I saw sewage being dumped into it. ( and yes I have pictures )

I feel Puerto Vallarta has so much more to offer than offering just the Ocean.
Warm loving people. A safe place to walk and tour around on your own without always having to go in large tour groups.
Old World charm are words used to promote Puerto Vallarta . The words are true.

My girlfriend and her husband are in flight right now headed to PV. This is their first trip to Puerto Vallarta and Mexico.
For many years they have gone to the Caribbean for their vacation.

They have talked about Huge Resorts and miles long buffets and they have said something is missing.
I have a feeling they are going to find the missing piece in Puerto Vallarta.

I have not been to too many Restaurants in PV and only to 2 nightlife places 2 times :) so I can not answer your question on that but others on board will be able to help you.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:45 pm

I have been to both St Maarten and St Lucia. Love them both, especially Castries (not Vieux Fort) and the French sector in St Maarten and the nude beach. Because both those places have cities and sewage as well as working sea ports, I would say you will find PV pretty comparable for the ocean.

The weather is a little more variable in PV with clouds that form over the Sierra Madre mountains late most days. Nuevo is usually outside of it but Mismaloya is not.

The variety of activities available in PV is unmatched anywhere else. The possible exceptions are SCUBA diving/snorkling owing to lack of coral reefs. More silver than diamonds for sale. Lots of art galleries and restaurants. Eating out is much cheaper.

Caribbean vs. PV

Post by arriba » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:11 pm

I have been to many islands in the Caribbean and KNOW that Mexico is a superior destination--at least for me!! The people, the food, crafts and galleries, general shopping offer so much more. The water on the Pacific side is not as calm,clear and blue/green but that can certainly be found on the Caribbean side of Mexico. PV is a favorite destination because of the old world feel but all the pluses mentioned.

forgot to mention....

Post by arriba » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:15 pm

....I cannot help with nightlife because our dinner out is our "nightlife" and there are so many restaurants from which to chose in PV from upscale Continental or Nueva Mexicana to wonderful street food and all choices in between! Prices are MUCH lower than in the Caribbean.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:16 pm

We love PV for everything it is. I have no problems with the water in the bay. Sure it's not like the carib. but the beaches and water are quite adequate for my tastes. We leave in 6 days and head to Tulum because of booked up places in PV. I will enjoy snorkeling in that green-blue water but will miss the town of PV 'cause we are staying at the Grand Palladium Katenah, one of those hugh resorts 90 min south of Cancun carved out of the jungle and setting oon a large bay. We will settle for a side trip to Playa de Carmen, fun, but not as cool of a city as PV.
Glad for all of you who got rooms in PV, I'll have to settle for something else until this June, 12th visit to the GCP.