Restaurant locations?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan
Restaurant locations?

Post by KVR » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:36 pm

We are staying at the Playa Los Arcos for 5 days/4 nights. I found a website that has listings for 230 restaurants in PV with customer reviews. Really great info, but totally overwhelming. I can see now why there is such a huge debate between AI and non-AI. :)

After going through all the resturants listed and reading the reviews, we've narrowed down the following restaurants as our choices:

Daiquiri Dick's, Langostinos, Pipis, Andales and Cuetes y Cuetes.

Where are these restaurants located in conjunction to the Playa Los Arcos hotel and what's the best way to get there? Thanks

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Other than Pipis, the restaurants you have chosen are all within a 5 minute or less walk of your hotel. Andales is right across the street, and the other 3 can be reached by going out throught the pool area to the beach. Turn left for Cuates y Cuetes and Langostinos and right for Daquiri Dicks, if memory serves. Pipi's is downtown and about 20 -25 minutes walking. When you get by the Malecon look for a street called Pipila and turn up it. Pipis is on the corner of Pipila and Guadalupe Sanches.
You're right - your first time there in particular the choice of restaurants is overwhelming. You might as well go with the ones you've chosen and scope out other places for next time. I hope you have a wonderful time.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 pm

totally agree with Ellen... granted Lojo and I stay AI but that does not stop us from going downtown for lunch, dinner and a little dancing and partying... we consider AI the best of the best of both worlds... without having to worry whats in the pocket or not... do as much as you want and as little as you want... and move on from there....

deollafan
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by deollafan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Good choices, but if it was up to me, I'd trade Daquari Dicks for La Palapa and Andale's food for Cafe de Olla. You can always drink at Andale's later.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Nah

Post by Jennybean » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:00 pm

And if it were me I'd trade Cafe de Olla for something else entirely, but it's not my vacation. :lol:

Andale actually has very decent food. One of the best breakfast joints in the area for sure.

And I'd trade Dacquiri Dicks for Coco Tropical...but again, not my vacation.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:22 pm

I too would do Andale's for breakfast and I would go to La Bohemia for dinner instead of Cafe de Olla.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info. We are doing the AI plan at Playa Los Arcos. It was only $75 p/p for 5 days/4 nights, so at that price, we felt we would get the best of both worlds. We plan on just going out for dinner, but I think we're going to try PiPis for their Sunday Champange Brunch instead of dinner. I picked Andales for a late dinner and hoping to stay for the evening entertainment at the bar. We booked the Rythem of the Night, so that will be one of our dinners out. I also book 2 other sightseeing tours that will include lunch. I removed Daquiri Dick's from the list. Too many restaurants and not enough time.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re: Nah

Post by teduardo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Jennybean wrote:Andale actually has very decent food. One of the best breakfast joints in the area for sure.
Breakfast out on the sidewalk at Andale is one of our favorite south side people watching spots.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think Pipi's does their Sunday brunch anymore.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:00 am

Ellen, thanks for the head ups. PiPi's web site does list the Sunday Brunch, so I e-mailed them and asked for sure if they were still offering it or not. I'll post their reply when I get one.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:30 am

Well, I sent PiPi's an e-mail and got an auto response that the mailbox was full so it couldn't be deliverd. So, I think we just re-adjust our restaurant schedule and try PiPi's at night. I defininitly want to try one of thier HUGE margaritas.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Brunch

Post by Jennybean » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:24 pm

If you're still interested in a brunch, take a taxi or the Mismaloya bus out to the Lindo Mar just south of town for theirs. It's excellent, and available Saturdays or Sundays.

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:49 pm

And if you really want some good local food, there is an EXCELLENT taco stand across the street from Senior Frogs and an EXCELLENT quesadilla stand right in front of the Farmacia Guadalajara in old town. But there are several stands there I think it is about the 3rd one from the corner. Both of these stands open between 10 & 11 PM and stay open till about 4AM. Good place to stumble over to after leaving Andale's. Also check out Frida, the little bar across the street for a cerveza. You are in Mexico, go Mexican and avoid the American restaurants, you can get that stuff here. CHEERS!!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Look out every body... Bella Luna is ALIVE... good to see you out babe... good suggestions too... may have to hit one of those in November when we stumbe out of Andale's.... Missed you darling....

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm

Thank you Babe, I missed you too :D

Valerie617
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Valerie617 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 am

We had lunch at Daquiri Dick's last week and it was delicious! I had the Asian chicken salad, served with almonds and peas and a ginger dressing. It was nice looking out at the beach while having lunch.

We also loved the food at Cafe de Ollas. My husband said his tacos were the best he ever had - I had the BBQ chicken -- it was soooo good - cooked just right. We sat at a table outside, but inside is really nice. Then we walked up to the beach and watched the sun set.

cbeepa1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by cbeepa1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 pm

We live in Tepic and slip down the hill several times each year for a gourmet fix. The food, service and ambiance at Daquiri Dick's are extraordinary. Dick's is to your left as you exit Los Arcos on Olas Altas. We have had only so-so meals at La Palapa and go there now for after-dinner drinks and some musical pleasure. Our experience at Coco Tropicale was awful. Pipi's is our first stop for an early lunch right after we unpack. We have never been disappointed. Consider also sensational Archie's Wok located just up the hill from CyC. Archie was John Huston's chef.
Last edited by cbeepa1 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Vista Grill

Post by Jennybean » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Best meal I've had in years in PV, hands down...Vista Grill.

Ate there again Thursday night and was once again blown away. The view, the food, the ambience are all top notch. I went with a group and we all raved. Worth the taxi trip up the hill.

My friend and I were talking about it last night in the airport on the way home and we both agreed it was so great to go to a place that had used more local ingredients in such fantastic ways, instead of just the usual upscale gringo-ized fare. The chef there has an incredible imagination and we were not disappointed in anything.

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:52 pm

sorry we missed you at Vista Grill Jen....M had far too much fun and liquid libation at Howard's party! We did have a fabulous meal at Agave Grill on Friday, the best so far.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 pm

The atmosphere at Pipis is fun, family. Ideal if you're bringing young'uns.

Cuates y Cuetes -- known to those in the know as CYC -- has become our favorite downtown sunset hangout, but for grub we found the menu a little limited. La Palapa down the beach a little is very good. And the Archie's Wok around the corner too.

About those huge margaritas: This is a lesson we re-learn every year so I'll pass it on. The big ones have - proportionally - less alcohol and more sugar and ice so you get more bloated than anything else. Try a couple small ones. That usually works for me, and with a little practice I can regulate my buzz so I feel good without falling face down in the sand. The places I like best might put a jot of simple syrup for the gringos but they should be tequila (an ingredient practically absent in machine-made imitations in U.S.; don't get me going), fresh lime, and a local liqueur called Controy (no, not Cointreau). I take happy hours seriously. One Is Two! On the rocks, no salt.