La Laguna & Fajita Republic in Nuevo Valarta

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sandi.g
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sandi.g » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 pm

We just got back from warm and wonderful PV. W had a great time, the weather was absolutely perfect and I can't wait to go back again!

Several people recommended La Laguna in Nuevo so we gave it a try. We were definitely NOT impressed. The menu looked great, but the lobster we ordered was absolutely pitiful and even the veggies were marginal at best. There were so many waiters that they hovered over our table breathing down our backs. At one point I turned and asked if he needed something when I had that creepy being watched feeling over my shoulder. The absolute worse thing was the guy who came to our table near the end of our meal offering coupons to go to the other restaurants owned by the same people, and giving yet another spiel for timeshares. Geesh! We were not expecting to have that there! We will never go back there again!

Fajita Republic was WONDERFUL! I can't say enough about how good the food was, the service and we had a wonderful meal there! And NO Timeshare harassment! The ambience was charming!

kgs
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kgs » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Fajita Republic is still great. It is always our first dining out experience the first night that we arrive, because it is close by. I'm not familiar with La Laguna, but will avoid it based on your experience. Out of curiosity where is it? Did you try Porto Bello near Paradise Village. I have heard that it is good, but never tried it in the past.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Are you sure the coupons were not for the grand opening of their new restaurant in El Tuito? Their big opening of that resturant is this weekend I believe, one night is for tourists and the next night is for the locals of the communidad.

sandi.g
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sandi.g » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:21 am

The coupons were for a 2 for 1 drink with dinner at one of the 3 restaurants. (Big deal) I don't know if one of the restaurants was the one you are speaking of. We took the coupons but left them at our hotel. They were the size of a business card. His main job was to try to talk us into going on timeshare presentation. It would be nice to go to dinner without getting hit up for timeshares. It seemed worse this year than it has in the past. I really hate to be rude but they just were not into taking "not interested" for an answer.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:52 am

I am really surprised to hear that they now have timeshare people in their resturants now. They have never been there in years past. If the coupons were for one of three restaurants then it was not including their newest one. When I was there last month no one mentioned any timeshare people in the one in Pitillal.

sandi.g
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sandi.g » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:29 am

La Laguna is right on the main road going in to Nuevo Vallarta. It is tucked behind trees in the front so I never noticed it before. We had heard good things about it so even though our dinner was not good, if it weren't for the Timeshare thing and the fact that there are so many other restaurants to try we MIGHT consider going for another try. But we were really turned off and annoyed when we left, it just left a bad taste (and still hungry) in our mouths so we will go somewhere else next time. There are so many great eating opportunities there that we see no reason to return somewhere we didn't enjoy.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Timeshare

Post by Jennybean » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:40 pm

When I was there last month no one mentioned any timeshare people in the one in Pitillal.
There aren't any shills in the flagship restaurant in Pitillal, and the food was fantastic as always...something tells me if there are shills in La Laguna, someone's gonna have some 'splainin to do to Papa and Mama! :lol:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 am

something tells me if there are shills in La Laguna, someone's gonna have some 'splainin to do to Papa and Mama!
Papa and Mama have pretty much left the scene for their newest venture so there might not be any splainin to do.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Been going to the one in Pitillal for the past 5 or 6 years (sometimes 2 or 3 times) many times with the last 2 posters and I have never seen a T/S person there. The place is always friendly and the food GREAT!!!

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:47 pm

We've been to La Laguna at N.V. 4 times and absolutely love it. When we were there last month the place was packed but we found the waiters attentive but not pushy and the food was great. No problem with timeshare shills, either. If we have an experience like your's next year, we'll definately let the management have an earful. I hate to see good places go that way, and we are very vocal when they do.