Best breakfast joint?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Best breakfast joint?

Post by ajstanger » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Someone please give me some suggestions for the best place to eat breakfast and why.

We are going end of March (5th time) and we never went out to eat for breakfast but would like to try it.

Location we are staying is at the Villa del palmar north of town. A couple blocks north of the Gigante store.

Other then why to eat there but location and are the prices fair? Good view? etc....

Thank a bunch.

oh and about 49 or 50 DTG!!! 8V8

Adios,
T.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm

I am sure you will get a lot of other places too. But, our favorite Downtown is Freddy's Toucan on Basillo Badillo, Andale's on Olas Altas and Mr. Cream at the Marina.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 pm

We too frequent Howard's fine suggestions.

For breakfast/lunch we also like Langostinos by Los Muertos pier, ham bacon or sausage with eggs for 50 pesos, omelets 48 pesos, my wife likes the ceviche tostadas 36 pesos.

If the line is long at Fredy's, head a couple blocks east on Basilio Badillo to Las Margaritas.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Brekky

Post by Jennybean » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:37 pm

I too frequent Howard and Ted's breakfast haunts, as well as Fidencios on the beach (35 pesos for pancakes with bacon and sliced fruit, including a coffee), Dee's Coffee Company on Gomez for the breakfast bagel (about 30 pesos I think - ham, egg, fresh tomato on a toasted bagel) or smoothies. Cafe Tizoc across the street from Andales on Olas Altas has a very good breakfast menu and offers specials all the time.

Even though I avoid it for dinners, Cafe de Olla does a very good breakfast offering. The homemade oatmeal with real cream and cinnamon especially...and the coffee is great!

Even Cuates y Cuetes does a passably good and inexpensive breakfast.

In the hotel zone I've been told (but have not been yet) that Caffe Due does good breakfast. I used to recommend Las Palomas on the Malecon but last time I was there I was approached by a timeshare shill and so haven't been back.

For a great breakfast - head south of town to the Lindo Mar. Anytime during the week they offer great inexpensive breakfasts, and on Saturday/Sunday they do a brunch seating for 99 pesos, all you can eat. Very popular with Mexican Nationals on the weekends so go early, or just go for the regular menu during the week.

Breakfast is one meal they do VERY well in Vallarta. :wink:

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Obviously not a "Breakfast Joint" :lol: but well worth a trip one day, I promise you!

Le Bistro-totally wonderful setting on the Isla Rial Cual in oldtown- it's like being in Paris...but with Classic Vallarta dining experience and Mexican flavor.

Best pastries inthe city, wonderful coffee, fresh squeezed juices, 5 Star service and easily one of the most peaceful settings we have ever seen. It was very very affordable.

We love their Oaxaca Pesto breakfast Sausage and eggs of course served with wonderful fresh tortilla's!. The Machaca con Huevos were a wonderful breakfast as well. Breakfast and tip was around $20 for my wife and I...for that setting service and food...Sign me up!

Frommer's Review

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 pm

I 2nd the recommendation of Le Bistro for breakfast but would add also Mama Rosa's on the stairs at the end of Leona Vicario and Guadalupe Sanchez. I believe it's closed Monday and Tuesdays. It's not readily visible from the street but believe me, it's there and it's worth it. I also agree with Jennybean about the Lindomar but, as she says, during high season it's a zoo and the wait for a table can be rather lengthy, so keep that in mind.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am

wow! Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. So many restaurants so few days.

LOL

I am taking notes.

Adios,
T.

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 am

Mrs. Bear and I became fans of Freddy's Toucan on our last visit (October last year). I loved the scrambled eggs with machaca. The Bloody Marys are not great, but no one can screw up a Tequila and orange juice with a squeeze of lime.
We ate there twice, the other 5 days we breakfasted in the condo.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Breakfast at Memos

Post by poppy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:25 am

Memo's is a breakfast club staple in Vallarta. On Basillo Badillo. Memo has expanded several times and they serve a great breakfast at reasonable prices. All the different kinds of pancakes and crepes, omelettes and everything else you can image. Memo is frequently walking the restaurant and it's one of my favorites in addition to some of the other recommendations made. No view, but you can't go wrong on the food.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Well I really like both Memo's and Fredy Tucans but my favourite place is on my balcony overlooking the bay. I can nurse my pot of coffee for hours sitting right there!

Joyce

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Have to agree there. With all the wonderful places to have that Breakfast, every day we start with the coffee on the balcony and think how wonderful it is to be there.......

canynhikr1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Nuevo Vallarta Breakfast

Post by canynhikr1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Our favorite breakfast place HANDS DOWN is El Estudio Cafe in Nuevo Vallarta. The restaurant is located on the marina in Nuevo. The coffee and OJ are the BEST. While in NV, we eat breakfast here at least 5 of our 7 days. Prices are great, food is even better. The breakfast burrito is to die for. My husband loves the scramble eggs and chlliquiles. You will love this place. We have not had dinner at El Estudio but have heard glowing reviews.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Los Alcatraces, opposite the Mega store, about a mile south of where you're staying. You can hoof it or take the bus. The clientele is mostly local, and us. Food is simple and excellent, and service is fine. The menu is bilingual, so if you don't know Spanish, all you have to do is point.

Generally, we've never had a bad breakfast in PV.

Menchis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Menchis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:18 pm

what is the name of the pancake house?
I did like the food in there but I am breaking my brains to remember it, any one?
Thanks

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Memos Pancake House?

Menchis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Menchis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm

that is in the Zona Romantica right? Its sound like it is.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Yes, Memos is in Zona Romantica. Freddy Tucan is also a great breakfast joint in Zona Romantica.

Menchis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Menchis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Perrrrfect, I writting this down so I don't forget, still a month to go before I go back Ooooh!! :roll:

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:01 am

Mama Dolores on Olas Altas south of Rodolfo Gomez. Louise and Luc do all kinds of great and inexpensive breakfast and lunch items. Fabulous crepes and things line roasted potatoes and baked beans on the sides of egg dishes. I love to sit out on the sidewalk and have breakfast there. Closed Mondays. Open till about 2pm I believe

Menchis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Menchis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Thank everybody for the information. This is great _O_