I'm only going to be there 7 nights, and am staying AI...

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
I'm only going to be there 7 nights, and am staying AI...

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:06 pm

If you could recommend ONE restaurant to me, I'm not a picky food type of person - so we'll be eating mostly at the resort. But - we plan to go out at least one night.

What restaurant would you recommend? And what type of restaurant is it?

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:I'm only going to be there 7 nights, and am staying AI

Post by marcos » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:29 pm

It would help to know what type of food you'd like to eat and what your price range is. There are lots of restaurants in PV that one could recommend.

As a suggestion, I'd start with cocktails at the roof-top bar (El Nido) at the hotel Los Quatro Vientos. Get there in time to have a drink or two and watch the sunset. And the restaurant there (Chez Elena) is pretty decent and not terribly expensive.

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:24 pm

Marcos (Jul 28, 2004 10:29 a.m.):
It would help to know what type of food you'd like to eat and what your price range is. There are lots of restaurants in PV that one could recommend.

As a suggestion, I'd start with cocktails at the roof-top bar (El Nido) at the hotel Los Quatro Vientos. Get there in time to have a drink or two and watch the sunset. And the restaurant there (Chez Elena) is pretty decent and not terribly expensive.

I'm really open to the type of food - I like it all, Mexican, seafood, any other types...

I don't want to spend alot - but I don't want it to be like a mexican McDonalds either - LOL!

egtravel

Post by egtravel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:08 pm

Try "Cafe De Olla" (sp??)...I think it's on Basilio Badilla street, near the park. Great food and great prices....try to sit near a fan or a/c as it can get hot in there. You'll recognize the place by cooks out front cooking their famous stuffed potatoes...yum!

deeker
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by deeker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:30 pm

Freddy tucan for Breakfast
the oasis has a nice view and has a variety of items on the menu located on los muertos beach
for dinner ummm maybe fahita republic or Angleos

tamsjams

Post by tamsjams » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:26 pm

Mr. Tequilla's for breakfast is great and very reasonable. It's right on the Malacon and you can sit outside and watch the people and cars go by. My favorite dinner restaurant is LeBistro very good food and atmosphere.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:43 am

If I only had one dinner to have in PV off the resort premises...oh heck, I'd kill myself making the decison. LOL

I think I would choose Barcelona Tapas though - it has it all. Great food, decent prices, stunning view.

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:41 am

Sorry Sky, but you have picked your one hotel/restaurant. There are so many choices for eating that you are not going to get any kind of consensus here. So take advantage of your AI and trust your judgement in choosing your other one night out.

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:30 pm

I'll tell you guys, after reading everything that I have read about PV - I'm really thinking I should have considered not going AI!!!

Oh well - maybe next time!!!! Thanks for all of you suggestions!!!

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:36 pm

Sky1018_pv (Jul 29, 2004 10:30 a.m.):
I'll tell you guys, after reading everything that I have read about PV - I'm really thinking I should have considered not going AI!!!

Oh well - maybe next time!!!! Thanks for all of you suggestions!!!
I know I could never go AI with all the great restaurants in PV and surrounding area...too good to pass up...but I think I would agree with Jennybean...for a unique experience...not too expensive...and great view...I'd pick Barcelona Tapas too....you just don't eat that kind of stuff every day...lots of variety...you will enjoy...

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:11 pm

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll try out Barcelona Tapas - I just have to make sure I write it down somewhere before I leave so I don't forget!! (I don't remember names that welL!)

And hey - I'll go AI this time, and after we have kids (And don't drink so much) we'll bring them down with us and stay in a condo or something!!!

susana

Post by susana » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:04 am

I'll recommend The Red Cabbage for an out of the way special dinner. It's true Mexican, but also plain fish etc. available. Charming place. I ditto the recommendation for sunset at Chez Elena/Quatro Vientos, the rooftop is divine, with a view of the bay. Go down to the southside one night, and stroll Basilo Badillo (recently dubbed restaurant row), it will give you amazing choices, that's where Cafe de Olla mentioned before is located... south of the river. Whatever you do, get out of your resort (since you seem interested) and visit El Centro (downtown PV). Stroll The Malecon one evening, get an ice cream.

vallartalover1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: only one restaurant, so sad...

Post by vallartalover1 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:35 pm

Sky1018_pv (Jul 28, 2004 10:06 a.m.):
If you could recommend ONE restaurant to me, I'm not a picky food type of person - so we'll be eating mostly at the resort. But - we plan to go out at least one night.

What restaurant would you recommend? And what type of restaurant is it?
River Cafe, numero uno in our book for some years. Fine dining of indiginous foods, mixed with fresh local produce and luscious desserts. Set on Rio Cuale, the tiny white lights provide a romantic ambiance to your dining. Service is top notch and the artwork is by Marta Gilbert. Sometimes live music, as Beverty and Willow. Tops!

Next time, do not go all-inclusive, Oh well, have a super blast and come back with a trip report...

Let me know if you like it.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:58 pm

I wish I could remember the name of this particular restaurant on Basilio Badillo! It is right across the street from Robertos as I recall. My wife and I ate there a couple of times last year and 2 or 3 the year before.

The reason was that they have some dishes that you can't find anywhere else (to my knowledge)in PV. Their quesadilla appetizers are VERY different. One is filled with 'flor de calabas' which are sauteed squash blossoms and have a very delicate flavor. One is filled with 'huitlacoche' which are small 'mushrooms' that grow on ears of corn ... these have a stronger flavor than the normal mushrooms that most of us know. Both are VERY MEXICAN and not to be missed.

The rest of the food is very good and most is less than $10 USD per plate.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:06 am

Marcos,
Could it be Las Margaritas? If so, Roberto owns it as well. They are now open for breakfast:)

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:31 pm

Update~

A lovely and informative lady living in PV advises that Barcelona Tapas is closed for two months as of this past Saturday night. I gather Bill (the owner) is doing some renos and will re-open late Sept. or early Oct.

Hope he's open again by the time I get there...LOL

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:21 pm

Too many restaurants to choose from!! :(

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:33 pm

Bzy1 ---

Yep, it is Margaritas. I knew Roberto owned it but couldn't remember the name.

But I think its a fine restaurant ... lots to choose from and prices that won't break the bank. I kike my food and I won't go back to a place unless you get pretty decent bang for the buck. They also make a pretty decent Chiles en Nogada but it isn;t called than on the menu.

But as a general comment, there are WAAAAAAAAAY too many restaurants to choose from in PV. You could almost eat out every night for a year and never visit the same place twice.