Moving to PV in 2010 - where should we live?

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

andrewh
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Moving to PV in 2010 - where should we live?

Post by andrewh » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:45 am

Hey Guys,

My girlfriend and I are a young Australian couple (currently living in Canada) moving to PV in 2010.

Needless to say we are extremely excited and browsing this forum for the past couple of hours has been very helpful, so thank you all!

I'm just wondering if someone could give me some input on where is the best place to locate ourselves... What's a good central spot that's...

Close enough for a walk or bike ride to the beach...

Near to malls and shops...

Not too near the tourist traps...

What do you all think?

Love to hear from ya :)

Andrew

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:13 am

Andrew
Sounds like you and your GF have never been to PV before. People who successfully make the move usually go down at least once to see what they are getting onto. Mexico is a whole different lifestyle things, often move at a snails pace or slower. Puerto Vallarta is a major tourist destination in Mexico so avoiding the tourist traps (the malls and the shops are the tourist traps). I think you need to make a trip down and stay a couple of weeks before you make the big move.

andrewh
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by andrewh » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:46 am

Thanks for getting back to me!

What we're doing is taking two weeks at the start of our trip to stay at hotels, check the place out, see where we want to stay etc before renting a place.

We're pretty confident we'll like it there as we've spent time at similar locations before in a few countries and we're from a small beach town back in AUS. We've done plenty of traveling and we're experienced with picking up and moving to a new place too, and worst case scenario (I sure hope not!) we'll be able to move on from PV too.

Any other feedback appreciated!

Andrew

KimandAndrew
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Old Town is the place to be!

Post by KimandAndrew » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:34 am

Hi Andrew!

My husband and I lived in PV for a year 1/2, actually just moved back about 5 months ago. We lived in Old Town - Emiliano Zapata area and absolutely loved it. Anywhere from the River to the north, the bridge to the east (other side of the bridge is Coloso - not that nice) and the Pemex to the south and that's where I would recommend living.

You will be within 2-15 minute walk to the beach, the streets are all level, no big hills to climb (mostly) Rents are reasonable as long as you are willing to live like the locals (anywhere from 3,500 to 12,000 pesos), again depending on how nice you need it. It is a great idea to stay in a hotel for awhile because a lot of the nice Mexican apartments don't advertise except for a sign on the balcony. That's how we found our last place which was $5,000 pesos, 2 bedroom, 1/2 block from the beach.

It is touristy here, but mostly just at the Malecon - a couple streets east and you are in typical Mexican neighborhoods. Everything you need is right here, grocery, buses, food, clothes, etc etc etc. I could go on forever!!

I highly recommend moving to PV if you can make it happen. We had the time of our lives and I would never change that! We would still be there except we own quite a bit of real estate in the US and needed to "tend" to it or risk losing it all! We hope to be back in a couple of years to stay permenantly. Good Luck, I'm so jealous right now and stay safe while you're there!!

Kim and Andrew

crystal_lane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by crystal_lane » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Andrew,
There are a lot of questions that you have to answer and one is whether or not you have to be in PV for work or can you consider one of the wonderful areas within 15-45 minutes by car or bus. While you are here take a trip to Sayulita, Bucerias and La Cruz. All 3 offer different lifestyles and are worth seeing. PV is great but isn't for everyone, especially if you want to be close to great beaches, fishing and the surf. We chose Bucerias and LOVE it here! Having said that.....we visit PV often and enjoy that too.
Larry

andrewh
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by andrewh » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Kim and Andrew,

Thank you SO much for your post!!

That tip about finding places that advertise only on the balcony is exactly the kind of info I was looking for and we had a suspicion that might be the case.

Great to hear about the wonderful experience you had and that makes us all the more excited!

And the $5000 pesos a month would be a dream! I'm assuming that wasn't furnished right?

Again thanks so much for your help!

Crystal,

That's very interesting too. I think what we'll do is try to arrange a short term lease for the first bit of time we spend in PV and then definitely explore other areas like those you mentioned and if we like those more, consider moving there after 3 months or so..

That's really helpful btw. We'll definitely look into those places when we get there.

Thanks alot!

Andrew

mason
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mason » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:10 pm

im by the beach 2 minutes walk, near the big mall of nice posh type shops, 2 blocks. ( 5 minutes walk.) near wall mart and sams 2 minutes walk. i can also see the cruse ships dock afew times per week from my garden.. nice fireworks displays weekly.

my private housing has houses semi and attched afew stand alone, all different colours and sizes. there is a swimming pool, lounge area, playing feild. BBQ baths and toliets. 20 houses or less intotal.

many of these houses are either funished or unfunhished. many are for sale or rent. have alook around here when you come. i see only mexican locals here at the present time.

most rents are from 10 000 to 25 000 per month. includes private sercuity, pool ect.

very nice place to live , nice friendly neibours.
including me!! :lol:

mason
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mason » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 pm

crystal_lane wrote:Andrew,
There are a lot of questions that you have to answer and one is whether or not you have to be in PV for work or can you consider one of the wonderful areas within 15-45 minutes by car or bus. While you are here take a trip to Sayulita, Bucerias and La Cruz. All 3 offer different lifestyles and are worth seeing. PV is great but isn't for everyone, especially if you want to be close to great beaches, fishing and the surf. We chose Bucerias and LOVE it here! Having said that.....we visit PV often and enjoy that too.
Larry
please tell me how close bucerias is to puerto vallarta. i hear there is a riding club there. i have horses. i live near the cruse ships port. (wall mart).

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

how close is Bucerias

Post by ellen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Mason, from Wal-Mart go to the bus stop closest to VIP's and take a bus for Bucerias. It arrives at the first Bucerias stop 40 minutes later. I do it twice a month and that is the average length of time it takes me.