Tostadas Compuestas ..from the Authentic La Posta Cook Book

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Tostadas Compuestas ..from the Authentic La Posta Cook Book

Post by Plus4 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Poking around a used book store I was delighted to find The Authentic La Posta Cook Book.
What made the little cook book special was on the inside of the cover Katy (a lady who ran the La Posta for many years )
had signed the book..
in Katie's handwriting
3/29/79
To Louise and Dot
With so much love
"Katy"
The history of the La Posta is a very interesting read.
Although the site below does not give any recipes I will copy from page 23 in the book one of the most famous dishes served at the Restaurant.
http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/index.html

Tostadas Compuestas
The main challenge to the cool in preparing Tostadas Compuesta is the ingenuity required to fry the corn tortilla in the proper cup-like shape. Don't panic. It's really quite simple. First, cut four one inch slits evenly around tortilla. You must fry this individual tortilla in a skillet of deep fat, holding the tortilla down in the center with any round wooden roller having a flat end. The boiling grease will force the tortilla to embrace the roller and form the necessary cup. Fry until crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Place two heaping tablespoons of heated chile con carne and beans (frijoles) in each tortilla , then garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes,and grated cheese. A very colorful and festive dish for a festive occasion.

Chile Con Carne (page 22)
1lb. ground lean pork 1/2tsp.garlic salt
1 cup tick red chile sauce 1/tsp oregano
1tbsp flour 1tsp. cumin
1/2 cup tomato juice or water

If anyone wants the frijoles(pinto beans) recipe or the tortilla recipe that they use at the Restaurant ..just ask and I will copy it for you and....
If anyone knows Lousie and Dot I am more than willing to give this little treasure back to the family. :)