Chacala is what Hawaii was like 100 years ago

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:08 pm

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... bc&k=46617

interesting write up

chico

girdhar
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by girdhar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi,
I had a look at few picture of chacala but found inferior to the Hawaii .
I can never compare to the Chacala to the hawaii.

linda tedison
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by linda tedison » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 am

I am from LA and nothing like that compare to the beautiful island of Hawaii. I have never been to Charcala, but I am sure it has its own beauty.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Beach Views

Post by smitty » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:54 pm

I've never been to Chacala but have been to Hawaii - Waikiki beach is smaller and way more crowded then any of PV's beaches . Mexico is such a better choice .

GOT2FLY
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Exploring

Post by GOT2FLY » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm

I am planning a day of exploring the north beaches this year. I love staying in Old PV. Since I usually stay for 3 - 4 weeks I am going to be splitting my time between PV and one of the smaller northern towns starting next year.

michalj72
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by michalj72 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:03 am

that's a nice article about la penita, guayabitos and chacala. I have friends that live and work in the first two places and feel for guayabitos years ago and used to visit every to or three months - the long beach there is great to walk on and it's a good long walk.
I haven't been to hawaii but perhaps the oft used adage/comment wisdom about comparisons being odious is perhaps appropriate. haven't spent much time in chacala myself to look around as usually i was taking surfer friends to the surf spot there, which is north about 1/2 mile or so. but it's a nice beach and not many people and the beach front restaurants are not expensive like in Vallarta these days - worth a visit to these places if you are in the area, though personally i prefer sayulita now as it's closer, though more crowded of course.
once a place get's 'discovered' it seems it inevitably gets overdeveloped.....

CelinaJeffries
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by CelinaJeffries » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:58 pm

I can understand the correlation the writer is making...he's really saying how beautiful Hawaii was 100 years ago before all the development..I don't think he's saying Chacala is more beautiful than Hawaii. Chacala is located by the highly developed Puerto Vallarta. Actually I prefer the nice hotels and developed beaches and amenities to small town beaches. But to each his own..others really enjoy staying in more rustic, undeveloped areas.

KoryLGriffin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by KoryLGriffin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for the share. I would like to visit there. I didn't even know about it.

Cheers

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 pm

So if I was staying in Bucerias...could day trip to there, spend the night and make our way back the next day? Not sure of distance.

thanks in advance - any suggestions for "North of of Bucerias" must see/do/eat/drink/sleep etc...please let me know.

I will be there Mid October- 2010 for a week.

Thanks

Bo

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:42 am

Sayulita, and San Pancho are neat areas to go for day trips. I am not sure what the conditions will be like when you are there. It all depends on how much rain they keep getting. The road is open again now but another heavy rain and they will probably have more rock slides. There was some road damage but I am sure they are working very hard at getting it repaired. The bridge into San Pancho was out but again I am sure they continue to work hard to get it repaired. If you go to San Pancho on Thursday their Market Day is pretty neat. Great prices and some things you don't see in Bucerias or PV.

Chacala you will need a car to get there. It is pretty primative still so I am not sure of lodging options. The road is paved part of the way but the rest is dirt; and again you are going at the end of rainy season so the road could be iffy. There are some places the river crosses it and depending on the amount of rain you may or may not make it across in a rental car.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update on Chacala

Post by webmaster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I hope you enjoy this new article on Chacala: http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_d ... ayarit.php

"Chacala is what Hawaii was like 100 years ago – before the highrises," said Poncie Escobido, who was born in Hawaii.

Greetings

M.