Airport Timeshare Sharks

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

luvthis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Airport Timeshare Sharks

Post by luvthis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:50 pm

:cry: Holy cow! I couldn't believe how deceitful and persistent the Timeshare Sharks were when we arrived on Nov. 3rd. This was our 8th visit there and I was well aware of what to expect, or so I thought. A young girl came up to me representing herself as the tour operator that would direct us to our hotel transportation. When specifically asked if she was with "XYZ" she nodded and implied that yes she was. There is a new counter as you come through lugguge pickup that looks very professional, but is obviously a bumpering spot to solicite and scare you into listening to time share stuff. If you fall for it, you could be delayed long enough to miss your assigned transportation to your hotel. Very deceiving and fraudulent. After being tricked over to the counter, it only took me about 1 minute to realize I had been dupped. I walked away from the counter with them calling out that I would not get my transfer vouchure to the hotel if I didn't go back over to them. What a crock! Had I just not fallen for the sweet little Mexican girl, with her hair over her name tag, implying that she was our "XYZ" representative and kept walking, I wouldn't have even been stalled for that minute.

Bottom line, do not believe anyone that isn't actually holding up a sign with your tour company's name on it. One moment of trust could cause you nothing but disaster. I'm ashamed to even admit that I fell for her deceipt for even that 1 minute! Shame on me.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 pm

luvthis,

I can see why you say you are ashamed to admit you fell for her tricks. This is the reason I get a porter for my luggage. They do not stop for any of the BS tactics that go on in that area. You literally have to run behind them to keep up with them while they blast their way through the area. When I arrived on 10/18 I had one guy try to stand infront of me, between myself and the porter, he was looking at me and shrugging his shoulders like "what's up". I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders just like he did and kept on walking. Then I had a guy lean out and ask where are you going? My reply was "Not with you". That was all it took and I was through the maze and in the waiting area where my ride was waiting to pick me up.

The trick is to keep walking and don't talk to anyone.
Last edited by katnsocal on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:12 am

I'll be interested to see how we fare with kids in tow...we get in at 2pm - prime TS time I'm sure.. :(

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Porters, people!

Post by Jennybean » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:27 am

Use the porters and you won't have to worry about it.

(and don't forget to tip them)

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 pm

We always get a porter. On 10/20 we made it all the way to the exit of the second tank before anyone tried to talk to us, we just kept following the porter and were in a taxi and on our way in no time.

A bit off topic, but what was really cool at LAX I got a skycap outside of the Delta terminal, once inside we bypassed the lines and were taken to a counter marked skycap assistance. The skycap asked me for our passports, he took them and got our boarding passes and the tags for our luggage, then he took our bags to the TSA without weighing them (at least one bag was overweight). We were all checked in in less than five minutes, a $5 tip quickly became $10 for that kind of service.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:29 pm

we get a porter as well... even with only three bags between lorrie and me... they buzz right thru those guys and out to the taxis and we are off to the resort... aaaaaaaaaaaaaa oh well... only 4 more sleeps...

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:43 am

using the porters helps but really, your rep will be right outside the timeshare area...right after you clear the green light / red light you are in a vestibule that is "timeshare" territory...keep on walking and to your right your rep will be holding a clearly authentic sign and will be in uniform...it's odd in that the timeshare folks have official looking counters and the actual tour operater reps are simply standing on the edge with a sign and a clipboard...the timeshare people are certainly more aggressive these days but I have found that if I tell them that my friend who lives in PV is coming to pick me up and I am staying at their house they drop you immmediately and seek more naive prey.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:57 am

but I have found that if I tell them that my friend who lives in PV is coming to pick me up and I am staying at their house they drop you immmediately and seek more naive prey.
I would not give them that much time or information. Just keep on walking and ignore them, taking the time to give them any information is only wasting "your" time.

The only way that story will really deter them is if you tell them you live there. Having a friend living in PV does not disqualify you for attending a presentation and that is what they are looking for, people who qualify. If you don't qualify they get no $$$ for sending you.

I have been ignoring them for 17 years and have never had any problems going straight to the taxi or meeting my friends who have come to pick me up.

Spend the few dollars and hire a porter, it works every time.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 pm

usually we fly through Signature but this time we're booking with Expedia and so we'll be on our own...with the kids - I think we'll just get a Porter and save the headache of having to go slow because of kids and luggage. We've never been taken in by the TS people at the airport, but like I say, this time we'll be trying to keep track of 3 kids.

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:05 pm

I just posted above asking for info about where these timeshare people are located.
Thanks for posting this.

Just to clarify....after I clear the red light/green light area that is where they are located.
My tour operator will be located beyond that gauntlet?

I assume I get my baggage before I head to customs? is that where the porters are located?
Would a porter take me to my tour operator? The person holding the sign?
And how much do I tip?
I will be taking peso with me.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:07 pm

mamba72001 wrote:I just posted above asking for info about where these timeshare people are located.
Thanks for posting this.

Just to clarify....after I clear the red light/green light area that is where they are located.
My tour operator will be located beyond that gauntlet?

I assume I get my baggage before I head to customs? is that where the porters are located?
Would a porter take me to my tour operator? The person holding the sign?
And how much do I tip?
I will be taking peso with me.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.
You go through Immigration...then get your luggage...then clear customs (red/green light)...there is a "welcome to Puerto vallarta" sign on the wall - immediately after that is the Shark Tank...

You will find a porter around the luggage conveyors...someone posted to tip 50 pesos and he'll get you through no problem..well worth the 50 pesos especially if you have kids. I'm sure you could tell him who your tour operator is and he'll take you right there.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Porters

Post by Jennybean » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:58 am

If you have more than 5 bags tip more than 50 pesos...the standard rule of thumb is about 10 pesos a bag.

Don't use the 50 pesos as the hard and fast rule - it's a guideline only.

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

The more informed I am the better I feel.

Most of my bags are on wheels and my kids are older, 16 & 13 but the porter seems the way to go.

Thanks again.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:01 pm

I think we are going to use the porters as well. It seems to be the quickest way to get past these guys. I told my girlfriend to definitely use the porter the second week when she comes. Being on her own I think she might have more of a hassle them some...

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 pm

when we were there this past august, porters carried our two empty medium dog kennels to the taxi. they were offended by a 100 peso tip, (all the change we had at the time, the airport cambio window is closed.) our cab driver said they are volunteers, no salary, only tips, they want big tips it seems!. also if you walk with purpose thru the timesharks you won't be bothered.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:00 pm

I have never had a porter act offended at a tip offered to them in the airport. They are NOT volunteers, they are employees who work for tips only, they do not get a salary therefore their only income is from the tips they make. You can't believe everything you hear from some of the taxi driver's in PV.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

volunteers

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:09 pm

just a quick question
for this board

if they just work for tips then how do they register with infonavit and imms

i think im going to head to the airport to find out the strait goods

i will let you all know in a couple days

bruce

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Oh no.Now we will never see Bruce again :lol:

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:14 am

what does what the taxi driver tells me have to do with the porters offended by my 100 peso tip? and if you work for no salary does that make you a paid employee?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

??

Post by Jennybean » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:57 am

if they just work for tips then how do they register with infonavit and imms
Probably the same way the grocery baggers at the stores do.