Concern about Crime in PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

JMBJHB
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Concern about Crime in PV

Post by JMBJHB » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:53 pm

My wife and I have a trip planned to PV in June 2009. We have been there twice before (and to Mazatlan three times) and have always enjoyed it with no negative experiences. However, we have been hearing about all of the drug related crimes, kidnappings, etc. recently in Mexico and unfortunately it is making us a bit "gun shy" about the trip. Even the U.S. State Department has been advertising warnings about crime in Mexico. We would be interested in any RECENT feedback you could give us on this topic. We realize that every city (in the world) has some degree of crime, but the news on Mexico seems to be relentless.... Thanks.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:47 am

If you read the travel alerts carefully, they are aimed at the border towns, not Puerto Vallarta. If for one minute I didn't think PV was safe, I would not have planned to bring down my son and daughter and their families which includes 6 of my grandchildren for the Easter Holiday. Just don't leave your common sense at the border. Come down and enjoy what I like to think of as paradise. CP

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 am

Like previously said; those travel alerts are for border towns. True, they are also for Monterey, Mexico City and several other non-border towns(I can't remember) . So far, PV has been as safe as any other tourist destination, which is her saving factor. I just read in the CIA factbook that approx 80% of PV's income is derived from tourism. So far, that fact, plus a rather large armed police/military precents has kept PV safe. Pleas go, don't worry, and have a blast! Chuck... 8)

tojol57

totally agree

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 pm

I have agree with the previous two posters as well. we have been coming to this resort community for over 15 yrs how and over those years you have seen so much developement with new high rises and condos, mega resorts being built in Nuevo Vallarta (Riviera Nayirit), etc.. I don't think former Presidente Vincente Foxe is going to let anything happen to the family investments in the Pinninsula down the tubes either... Just remember to use good judgement and common sense... if you wouldn't go down a dark alley back home, don't do it here...

so come on down, enjoy, and have a great time... we leave on saturday the 14th for a week in paradise...

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Mexico Issues

Post by smitty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

I think the real crime would be - being afraid and missing a wonderful vacation in PV . Laurie and I were in PV in early Jan and we can report a very serious incident - Puerto Vallarta stole our hearts (again ) and we will have to return to get them back ! :)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:04 pm

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 am

I think that bad things are happening more all over the world, not just in Mexico, or here at home or in Canada, but every place. Smitty said it all when he said "I think the real crime would be - being afraid and missing a wonderful vacation in PV."

Therein lies the "crime". We cannot let fear rule our lives. We just have to be a little more careful and cautious. Chuck... 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 am

The US State Department's statement on 03/06/2009.

"The US State Department reassured on Friday that despite previous warnings of Mexico's spiraling murder rates, much of the country remains unscathed by running battles between security forces and rival drug cartels.

In February, the State Department warned travelers of the risk posed by increased violence particularly along the US-Mexico border. But Friday spokesman Gordon Duguid said violent activities are relatively confined.

"We notice that many of the violent activities are localized in several different places. They are not general across the north of Mexico, let alone through ... the entire country," he said.

Violence is "not systematic throughout the country," Duguid added.

JMBJHB
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks

Post by JMBJHB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks for all your comments. This certainly helps to put our mind to rest on the security issue. :D

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Does anyone have any real statistics on crime in PV?

For example, in Vancouver there have been 16 murders so far in 2009.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Information online is so much more complete and relevant for US, Canada, Europe, Mexico's info on such things is lacking and normally the sources for that information are US-based :-)

Mogens

tojol57

Just Returned

Post by tojol57 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Lorrie and I just returned from a week in Vallarta... and we were downtown to you know where Andale's until as early as 1 am and as late as 3 am ... We also sat down and did an interview with the Mexican Tourism Bureau on how safe we felt in Vallarta, and all the places we visit while we are in the Vallarta area (Sayulita, Bucerias, Pittial, etc...) it will be on their website in a couple of weeks...

so go and HAVE FUN!!!

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Whats REALLY happening in Mexico

Post by Plus4 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:23 pm

The Mexican Tourism Board this week launched

http://www.whatisreallyhappeninginmexico.com/my_weblog/

Think this is the site Tom was talking about....

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:32 pm

It's interesting to note that New Orleans has 95 violent crimes per 100000 inhabitants, the border towns between Mexico and US have a similar level of violence. You don't hear any news telling you not to travel to New Orleans... why can that be?

Greetings

Mogens

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Well, the U.K has warnings about Mexico http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and ... ica/mexico and the U.S. http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and ... ted-states
Interesting to note that on both warnings, Mexico is warned against. Australia has similar advise http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... ice/Mexico http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... of_America.
This is a scarry world. Chuck... 8)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:05 pm

That was not the point Chuck, we have all already read the news and have been bombarded by advisories stating Mexico is so dangerous. I was mostly concerned with the US media, interesting read the links you send.

Now, considering New Orleans is so dangerous (at a Juarez level), why don't we hear about that in the news too? Why does ALL of Mexico get stigmatized based on what happens on US-Mexico border towns? Could it be best to scare people into staying at home, spending their $'s at home, specially in a recession? Just a thought.

Mogens

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 pm

"That was not the point Chuck,". That was my point, Mogens. That there is danger and problems everyplace. New Orleans. Pretty scarry place. However, the tourist area, The French Quarter, has very, very little violent crime. Never any kidnappings, just pick pockets. Really don't think the U.S. media is the problem. None of the world wide media speaks much about New Orleans, either. Chuck...

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:17 am

Well, that wasn't my point. My point is that there is a feeding frenzy around Mexico, when the US has places just as scary and no media scrutiny is in place. Better (and easier) to speak bad of other places than home.

Mogens

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 am

Soooo, why hasn't the Mexican press or other world presses warned prople about the U.S. and Canada(Big Mexican drug problems in Vancouver, BC)? If it was only the U.S. press keeping silent on domestic problems, and the rest of the press reporting on it, I would say you have a point. But, in general, nobody is reporting on any big, on going problems with corrupt police, drug cartels and the such, and warning tourists to stay away. Also, a thing about crime stats is they reflect what has been reported to the law enforcement angencies. Now, I am going out on a limb, here, but I really think that the U.S. and Canadian law enforcement is much less corrupt than Mexican law. Chuck... 8)

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 am

The news reports given in the US are garbage anyways. It's my opinion that they report on the border violence to assure americans that they (the government) are trying to do everything in their power to stop the flow of drugs entering the US. WHAT A BUNCH OF B.S. Let's face it, the government doesn't want the drugs to stop coming in the country. If they did, what would happen to all that money spent every year to treat addicts and incarcerate dealers? It is a billion dollar business for both the cartel and the various governments around the world. But, the media can't report that can they?

I think Mogens has a point, perhaps the US wants the vacation money spent in their own country. Scare the tourist into staying home. There is violence everywhere, why isn't it reported in New Orleans? well because if people stopped visiting there the city would fold. Same as LA, New York, Atlanta ect ect. The media in this country is a joke, they worry more about what an over paid celebrity is wearing, when they should be concerned about the 500,000 people losing their jobs every month.