Expired Passport???

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jstbuch
Expired Passport???

Post by jstbuch » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:31 pm

Okay, here's the situation. My passport expired about a year ago. I went on a cruise to mexico (pv included) and they said an expired passport was fine so long as it was not expired more than 10 years.

My question is, I do not have my birth certificate (will take 90 days to get and I am traveling in 6 weeks). Will my expired passport and california driver's license be fine for entry into Mexico?

I know I should renew my passport anyways and plan on doing it when I get back. We are pretty close at this point to when I am leaving (we just planned this trip last week) and I do not want to have to pay the expidite renewal fee for a new passport. Wil

Jennybean

Re:Expired Passport???

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 pm

I think the rules are different for cruise passengers, because you spend 80% of your time outside port and in international waters, so what they tell you about an expired passport may not be valid for flying and/or driving into Mexico. I'm actually a little surprised they would say that.

I wouldn't even think about attempting to enter Mexico with an expired passport. That's just me, but think about the alternative - is it cheaper to "buck up" the expedited fee for the renewal, or is it cheaper to lose a 4 figure vacation because you're refused boarding on your flight and entry into the country?

Every airline I've flown in the last 5 years has made it very clear the FAA regulations are that you require valid identification to board a flight, be it a passport or birth certificate/drivers license combo. Absolutely no exceptions, the FAA wouldn't allow it, especially post 9/11.

Do yourself the favour, save yourself the headache of arguing with the airlines (because they will side with the FAA, that's a guarantee)...spend the $$ for the expedited passport renewal if there is no way of obtaining your BC before your trip.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:56 pm

man that is ruff... have you checked with the Feds on that ... can you call the courthouse and get a certifed copy of your birth certificate faster... has to have a raised seal on it.... or if the hospital you were born in is handy i would get a hold of their records department... if you had one passport, and it has only experied by one year...can't the feds get it done for you in time...

good luck...

nick
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by nick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:14 pm

jstbuch,

I'm not quite sure if I have the answer you are looking for. But, I know, or I think, U.S. citizens can travel to Canada and Mexico using our "birth certificates" up until I believe November of 2006. Then you will need passports for sure. But here is a link that might help you out "Embassy of US Mexico web page" http://mexico.usembassy.gov/mexico/eacs ... exico.html .
I sure hope you get it straightend out though.
I also agree with NOT going to another country with an expired passport. Kind of gives me the willies.

Have a HAPPY Friday,
Nick

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:38 pm

Yep, you absolutely need the valid unexpired ID to check in for your flight before you ever reach customs, so I don't think they're going to give any slack for an expired passport.

If you have six weeks you should have no problem getting an expedited one, and as I said, even though it costs a little more, it's certainly cheaper than having to forfeit a much anticipated vacation, and the $$$ you spent on it, because you are turned away from checking in for your flight.

From what I'm finding on the internet, regular service takes about 6 weeks, so that might be pushing it. Expedited is about 2. Here's the info:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fi ... t_831.html

To make sure it's expedited, I would attend personally at a passport office instead of mailing.

Man - you guys in the US have it rough! In Canada, an expedited passport takes 2 days, and regular service usually less than 2 weeks! LOL (Mind you, yours lasts twice as long as ours...)

nick
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by nick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Jennybean,

I tried to post this before but not sure where it went......

I know when my wife and I went to PV this past May my birth certificate had an expired notorization seal on it. So I ordered one up from an Indiana court house via the web and it only took about 1 1/2 weeks. I think I also read something to the effect that the time it takes may depend on how many years they have to research back to. Of course this may vary state to state.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi Nick - yes, I've heard that before. Because every state is different, it could take a day or it could take 90, one never knows. At least with an expedited passport you have some sort of a timeframe guarantee, so that's the way I would go.

In Canada, I couldn't even tell you how long it takes, because most of us get our BC at birth, and it's a small laminated card issued by the province. I've had mine since I was about 7 days old, and a new one issued at age 6 when my adoption was completed (TMI, I know, but hey...lol)

Besides, once you have that passport in hand, you don't have to think about it again for another decade. That's worth the extra dinero all on it's own. (-:

jstbuch

Post by jstbuch » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. I called the state dept today and spoke with one of their rep's. They said an expired passport is fine so long as it is not 10 years expired. I also called my airline and confirmed the same (got a name and phone number of a supervisor just in case).

This is only good for mexico and only until Dec 2007.

nick
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by nick » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:03 pm

Jennybean,

I apologize for having blinders on. I didn't even give consideration about Canada's laws being different. Duhhhh.....everyone around the world could be reading the posts and asking questions!!!!
But it is good to see the problem was resolved. Sure was fun digging for information and posting though :)

Everyone have a good weekend,
Nick

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:26 am

Just a heads up for anyone holding a Quebec birth certificate and trying to renew their Canadian passport. The province of Quebec will no longer recognize birth certificates issued before Jan 1/1994 . You will have to reapply ($40 I think) for a new birth certificate . Your passport application will be turned down if you don't have the new birth certificate.