Airport Timeshare Sharks

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 pm

This past week the time sharks were the worst I had ever seen. If you have a porter they don't seem to bother you. Stay on their heels and don't make eye contact with them. Good luck!

antioch510
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Time sharks

Post by antioch510 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Hello all! My first post! (A proud day)

I too arrived in PV on November 3rd. I made a reservation for a car service through my hotel ahead of time, and they said I would bypass
the timeshare people. I went through immigration, got to the "VIP" desk, got my papers and headed to get my suitcase.

At that time I had a porter mob me saying "You are a VIP, come with me".
He took my paperwork, took my suitcase, and headed for the door. (So I thought) I got the green light to leave, went throught the doors and that "helpful porter took me TO the timeshare sharks! I thought at first when the "gentleman" was telling me about the activities around PV it was part of the car service, until he brought up the idea of a free breakfast in exchange for a little of my time.

I tried kindly to excuse myself (while my porter waited) but this clown wouldn't take no for an answer. I had to tell him rather rudely NO!!! and then turn and start walking. He tried to convince me all the way to the second set of doors .... but I kept walking.

Long story short, tell the porter from the get-go this:

Go straight out past the sharks, or get NO TIP!

By the way I'm going back next November! I loved it!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm

I wonder why the porter would take you to the sharks...bizarre. We've been there 3 times before and know where the sharks are and what to expect...my only reason for getting a porter this trip is so I can keep track of the kids and not worry about our luggage...there will be no tip if he tries to get me to stop at the shark tank. I'll make that perfectly clear to him.

Glad to hear you had a great time and plan to return to PV...another PV addict has been born... lol

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Porters

Post by Jennybean » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Firstly - what was this "porter" wearing who took you to a VIP desk? (I ask because there is no VIP desk before immigration or customs...there is nothing after the immigration kiosks but the luggage carousels, and then red light/green light customs area)

Real porters are wearing black pants, pale blue shirts and have luggage carts. Anyone else approaches you, don't use them.

I have used porters to get through there for a few years now and never had any problems. Just look for the ones described above - the real ones will never ask for your paperwork or tell you they work for anyone.

antioch510
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by antioch510 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Hello again!

This was my first time to PV, and I have been warned and have read about all the time sharks, so I thought I was prepaired. This was an airport porter, so I thought I was in the clear.

As for the VIP desk, it is just past the Immigration line. You get your passport checked, then the hallway immediately turns right. Just as it turns right there is a "VIP" desk on the left side of the hall where they had my name on sign. They gave me my paperwork for the private car, and as I headed for the luggage claim thats when I got mobbed by the porter, who TOOK the paperwork from my hand saying to come with him.

In the future I know what to look for; this was just a rude welcome for a first time visitor.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:54 pm

Sounds like a person really has to be paying attention in the airport! The last time we went two years ago I found it pretty chaotic. Now we'll have our daughters with us (although they aren't young, 21 and 17) which will make it a little more complicated. I told my husband yesterday we are definitely getting a porter!! I always think I can handle my own baggage but if it saves us getting sucked into the time share hole we'll do it! Besides, we support more of the local workers.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Confused

Post by Jennybean » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:39 pm

Pardon my confusion...your porter waited while you spoke to these people - did he take you directly TO someone or are you referring to the fact that you were taken through the timeshare area, period?

I ask about distinction because all incoming flights have to go through that area, and if the sharks in there see any kind of paperwork in your hands or indication of where you are staying or who you are using, they will use that to attempt to sidetrack you from your proper place, truth or not. I had one shark in there even attempt to tell me they were a representative from my luggage manufacturer to try and re-route me, so you have to be aware they are ruthless.

The porters, once you are "ensnared" aren't really in a position to step in and move you along to the rightful place. All the ones I've used have told me flat out "don't talk to these people, they are timeshare, please follow me".

I'm just incredibly confused by this, simply because myself and most of my friends have used porters in that airport for years and none of them have done what you say happened to you so I'm trying to wrap my head around it, and maybe clarify things a bit so they aren't so muddy.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:44 pm

I've still to go through the TS area, I guess it's because I always arrive with national flights, what about those that arrive with connections from other cities, say, Mexico City? I guess they avoid the feeding frenzy area...

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

National vs. International

Post by Jennybean » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

National flights don't go through this to my knowledge, not sure about flights with an in-country connection prior to PVR.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

nationa flights

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:34 pm

domestic arivals in pvr do have tmeshare reps at times

last summer my wife and travelles extensively through mexico by air and we found our return flights seemed to be a little more awkward because of this

timeshares play a huge part of business here in puerto vallarta wether we like it or not

we can just ignore them
it doesnt have to be a big scene everytime you go through the tanks

just smile and say no thank you

bruce

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 am

I don't think that was a regular airport porter who took you to the timeshare reps. I think it was a timeshare person/porter waiting by that VIP desk, that desk in the past has had "information" etc. which they try to get you to stop and take. The regular porters will be right around the luggage carousels, not anywhere where they would walk you up to the luggage area.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 am

Kat that's what I was thinking as well. He was probably not a genuine porter, only someone posing as one. I will definitely use a porter again in Jan.

Joyce

markcarla
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by markcarla » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Just back from another amazing time in PV. Sharks are still there in the airport, but i found them to be much less agressive than last year. Maybe it was just an off day for them, maybe not.

Markj.

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Its is amazing that the airport allows this. They must get kickbacks. My first time to PV 3 years ago, I was confused. My sister and friends are going in about a month. I warned her, but it can really be confusing.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm

AVOIDING SHARKS

fly international into mexico city
then fly national to vallarta

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 am

Has anyone heard any more about the sharks being banned from the airports? I heard this at the Mayan Palace back in nov. and talked to a couple other folks who had heard it. It was supposed to go into effect this year. Well, they say if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Not true

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:19 am

It is too good to be true. I have friends who came back a couple weeks ago...they're still there.

The booth has been constructed mostly out of concrete - that in and of itself tells me it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Timeshare is a billion dollar business in Mexico, I would imagine whatever they offered the government to set up in the airport was a drop in the bucket compared to what they make.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 am

many years ago
those sharks rented closet like spaces from local stores for a thousand dlls per cubical
don´t know if they still have them and how much

whew

chico

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 am

here's an idea..why not say NO and walk away!!!!

Bobby002
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Bobby002 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 pm

first time going to PV. Any advice would be appreciated. All these comments have me worried.