PV Easter Break

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
PV Easter Break

Post by sunshine311 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I was so concerned over America's Spring Break when booking my trip that I didn't even think of PV's own Easter Break.
Use you're own discretion, but I do not advise anyone go during this Easter long weekend. The holiday is the whole week and begins prior to Easter weekend; all the Mexicians flock to PV and it's extremely busy.
Our first week (pre-easter break) was perfect. Not too busy, and we felt totally safe walking downtown each evening. The second week, Easter Break, it was a different world.
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying, be aware. They actually block the street along the malecon from traffic because of so many people. During the week we actually enjoyed taking in the festivities as it was mostly Mexican families having a good time, but we did not chance going out in the evening on the weekend. The streets were jammed packed with drunken groups of young people. Saturday morning we woke to find a mass amount of blood strung the distance of three blocks just outside our hotel. Whatever happened to that guy...it was bad. As we walked back to our hotel on a packed street after having supper around 8:30pm Sat night, a young american guy scared out of his wits ran up to us begging for help. It was his first night and he was really drunk and had lost his friends and was alone. He said he had already been asked for his wallet two times and he was totally lost.
We took him back to our hotel with us, which was just two blocks away, figured out where he was staying, called his mom, and got him in a cab to his hotel. Who knows, maybe we saved a life that night.
We now know for the future to avoid PV during this week, and I wanted to share this information with others.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the updates and information... i am sure a valuable lesson was learned by many people... but it is up to the wise traveller on whether spring break and easter week is for them... that is for sure... that is one reason we stay home during spring break... been there done that too...

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 am

The thing that really added to all the chaos was that Easter was early this year and fell when most of the schools and colleges were on spring break which is not a good thing. I have talked to several co-workers (teachers and administrators) and they all said it was a nightmare traveling to and from Texas, Florida, Mexico, Jamaica, etc. We went twice during spring break week back in the 90's as our friends from NY talked us into going (which wasn't even Easter) and it was a nightmare!! This was also pre 9-11 so I can only imagine it has gotten worse. I realize that this may be the only time some people can go. That's why we go in Feb. Yes, it is during busy season but nothing like spring breakers and Easter vacationers all crammed together.... Glad to hear you had a great time!!

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 am

Wow, I live in Vallarta and was on the Malecon every night when it was closed to all but pedistrians. My suggestion.........stay in the states or Canada. If you are scared to be here then don´t come here. Understand what semana santa is here in Vallarta. It is a holiday for ALL OF MEXICO and nationals come from all over the country to vacation here. Of course we who live in Vallarta must be more careful as there are undesirables from other cities, but we take this into considration. It is just common sense. If you feel you must ¨hide¨in your hotel, then just vacation somewhere else.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:37 pm

What I go out of sunshine311's post was not that (she..he ) was scared to be in PV...

sunshine311 did have a wonderful first week of vacation..
I think sunshine311 was just giving us a heads up that Easter week along with America's Spring Break can get very busy and a few more things go on than normal..

There are many places I would not travel to during Spring break and when there is a major holiday just because of how busy it is in the Airports Hotels and at tourist attractions etc..

Thanks for sharing sunshine311 :)

tojol57

Another 220 yrs

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:51 pm

The next time this occurance of Easter being this early will be in 2228, in another 220 yrs, so i think we will all be safe (well i can think of one person that just might live that long to see it)... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

I think we all got the idea that sunshine was trying to convey, but i think both Lojo and BellaLuna were letting people know all point of travelling during spring break and semana santa... It is still up to a well informed traveller to understand what they are getting into... there have been posts on other BB's about pick pockets during this time, some undesirables mugging people, etc... when you have the huge of a crowd you can expect some delays, inflated prices, etc... it goes with the territory....

again, thanks for your take on your vacation during this time sunshine... i am sure many people will be re-evaluating their spring break travel plans... some people like HUGE crowds, and others don't...

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Tom are you being snotty... :lol: :evil: :twisted: :lol:

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Oy Vey

Post by Jennybean » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 pm

I don't think it's just "those who live there" who need to pay attention during these times, that's a bit of a myopic statement. Ladrones are common over Christmas and Easter when there is a larger influx of tourists, both national AND international. They follow the crowds...holiday seasons aren't all sweetness and light in Vallarta, just like anywhere else. When the season is over, they roll back to wherever they came in from to take advantage of the crowds.

And I suspect Sunshine311 wasn't telling people to stay away or indicated it was an issue per se, but somewhat of a shock just to see how many people actually come to PV over Semana Santa. Even though we can tell people ad nauseum it's really busy and really crowded, until someone experiences that they really can't get an idea for just HOW busy and crowded. Let's be fair here!

Plus she did say in her post in case you didn't see it:
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying, be aware.
Therefore IMO it seems a bit rude to tell someone to stay home just for voicing their surprise and opinion about the crowds for Semana Santa. Frankly even those of us who love PV and visit often don't necessarily see it as a great time to visit either. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be to a first timer, so have a heart huh?

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:04 pm

JMHO...... 8)

hurricaneshecky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by hurricaneshecky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:24 pm

No Fly Zones:
PV - Easter
PV - Christmas
Las Vegas - NBA Allstar Weekend

Seriously, I'm a big guy that has been all over Mexico but the hassles associated with PV over, say, Easter are not worth it. Sure, there is no need to "hide" in your hotel room but it's also a pain to have to constantly survey you surroundings to keep from getting fleeced. I prefer to relax.

PS: Many locals get out of town over Easter

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Well my 2 cents worth....I love PV during Samana Santa, but then I like it at Christmas too. The crowds are unbelievable and yes, the crime rate does increase but that would happen anywhere where you add that many more people to an area. One of the best times I have ever had was in PV during Samana Santa. That being said, there is alot more public drunkeness, alot more drunken drivers, (if you consider the ratio increase, it is probably not that much more) etc. but we can't just blame it on all the nationals coming to PV. Who did Sunshine rescue?... some drunk American kid, so drunk out of his mind he could not figure out where he was. So who is to blame when he ends up in trouble. I say put the blame where it belongs, accept responsibility for your own actions and if you can't don't blame someone else for your stupidity. Good thing he had Sunshine there to play mommy to him. I know that sounds harsh but I hate to see the blame always put on PV or the people of PV everytime someone gets drunk and falls off a balcony, wanders down a dark street drunk out of their mind at 3 a.m. and gets robbed. PV is not perfect but find me a place in this world that is.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Trick Question

Post by Jennybean » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:40 pm

No Fly Zones:
PV - Easter
PV - Christmas
Las Vegas - NBA Allstar Weekend
Trick question...which one of the above places has the highest elevated person-on-person crime rate during the time noted?

[I'll give you a hint...it aint in Mexico LOL]

When personal responsibility takes a vacation, I'm with Kat - people reap what they sow.

I've also been told by many of my local PV friends that they ALSO never leave their abodes during Semana Santa unless they absolutely have to, knowing full well what the crowds are like. It's not just the tourists.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 pm

JMHO.... :wink: 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:44 pm

I've also been told by many of my local PV friends that they ALSO never leave their abodes during Semana Santa unless they absolutely have to, knowing full well what the crowds are like. It's not just the tourists.
Or they leave and go NOTB, LOL.

hurricaneshecky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by hurricaneshecky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:49 pm

Can you get accurate crime stats in Mexico? :lol:

I do get your point, a friend and I were sitting on the patio at Pure/Caesars Palace and saw a shooting across the street near Ballys during the NBA ASG weekend. And it didn't involve Pacman Jones this time.

In all honesty, I never really feared for my saftey during any of these times. I have walked the streets of Mexico City at night as well and never felt overly threatened.

True, common sense and a modicum of personal responsibility are all that is required, but sometimes I just like to relax and not have to worry about all that.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Oy Vey

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Jennybean wrote:I don't think it's just "those who live there" who need to pay attention during these times, that's a bit of a myopic statement. Ladrones are common over Christmas and Easter when there is a larger influx of tourists, both national AND international. They follow the crowds...holiday seasons aren't all sweetness and light in Vallarta, just like anywhere else. When the season is over, they roll back to wherever they came in from to take advantage of the crowds.

And I suspect Sunshine311 wasn't telling people to stay away or indicated it was an issue per se, but somewhat of a shock just to see how many people actually come to PV over Semana Santa. Even though we can tell people ad nauseum it's really busy and really crowded, until someone experiences that they really can't get an idea for just HOW busy and crowded. Let's be fair here!

Plus she did say in her post in case you didn't see it:
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying, be aware.
Therefore IMO it seems a bit rude to tell someone to stay home just for voicing their surprise and opinion about the crowds for Semana Santa. Frankly even those of us who love PV and visit often don't necessarily see it as a great time to visit either. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be to a first timer, so have a heart huh?
I agree.... :)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

We have walked the streets of PV with you Shecky in the wee hours of the night..morning.. :) and have sat in the real deal cantina and never feared..
Just had a lot of fun... :)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Stats

Post by Jennybean » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Can you get accurate crime stats in Mexico?:lol:
Sure - just buy the local constabulary a bottle, I'm sure they'll whip them right up for you. LOL

I've heard several horror stories about NBA ASW in Vegas from my friend who lives there...mind you, this is also the same town where the homeless and low income population will commit petty crimes in the summer just to get a night in an air conditioned cell when it's 115F outside. :lol:

I feel less danger walking the streets of PV than I do where we live, and I've never been afraid to walk around Lost Wages (I'll just remember to duck the next time I'm down at Ballys LOL). But I stopped going to PV in high season because the crowds are just too much for me - I'd lose it during Semana Santa. I recognize that, and so I just choose to stay away.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

embrace

Post by teatrolimon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 pm

embrace the culture whole heartedly

its easier to deal with

just like toronto during carabana

dont be scared just jump in

bruce

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Jennybean » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:42 am

It has nothing to do with embracing the culture, and everything to do with the fact that some people are not comfortable with very large crowds. While I'm perfectly capable of handling myself in one should the need arise, if I choose to avoid it altogether I don't think there is anything wrong with that. And for someone like hurricaneshecky who has two small children, avoiding a crowd isn't only just a matter of personal taste, it's also a matter of personal safety for his family. Which is also a viable and logical choice to make IMO.

That isn't a sin and certainly doesn't mean that those of us who go to PV don't embrace the culture - far from it. We're just choosing to come at times when such crowds are less likely to exist, is all.

There are those who love Vallarta during these times, and for them I'm very glad they enjoy it. Doesn't make one a horrible person if they choose to enjoy Vallarta at other times.