Concern about Crime in PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 am

I personally have spoke with visitors to mexico within the last week ,one being my father, the others who I chat with daily who live in pv ,are just having a great time- so take what you will with a grain of salt

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 pm

We will continue to vacation in Mexico if that is the place we choose to go to :)
But ....
I agree with Charlieb when he says that The US and Canada do not have the same Police corruption as they have in Mexico..
My humble is that the news reports we are reading and hearing in Canada and the States about Mexico is not to scare us into staying home to spend money in our own countries but that the Media writes stories that sell and right now some of the stories coming out of Mexico are big

From the story on the link below...
Alberto Capella, the civilian head of the Tijuana police force says....
‘We are fighting two wars,’ Capella says, as the convoy speeds through the night towards a reported gun battle. ‘One is against the narcos. The other is against our own police and the judges and the corrupt officials who work for the narcos. This second war is the most difficult one.’

Quote:
A dizzying list of army generals, federal prosecutors, governors, politicians, judges, police chiefs and Mexico’s representatives to Interpol who have been caught ‘taking the silver’.
The cartels offer a simple and persuasive choice to their opponents: plata O plomo, silver or lead, riches or death.

The story in the article below was made into a CBC news story that ran off and off all day yesterday...

Maybe it is stories like the one below that is bringing reporters from around the World to Mexico looking for news that is sensational....
http://WWW.telegraph.co.UK/news/worldne ... emacy.HTML

And closer to home...
http://WWW.cbc.ca/Canada/British-Columb ... exico.HTML
In Canada there are news articles and news stories on TV just about everyday about the concerns with the drug cartels and corrupt police in Mexico. What we are hearing that the increased gang violence in Vancouver and other Canadian cities has direct ties to the drug cartels in Mexico
The increase in gang violence in Vancouver and other Canadian cities has direct ties to the drug-cartel wars that have terrorized Mexico and some American border communities, say Canadian and U.S. Police.

*****Canada has revised the travel warning to Mexico..*****

Canada's Foreign Affairs Department last week revised its travel report for Mexico, warning Canadian tourists to avoid areas around the U.S. Border, especially Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana.

Popular tourist destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, the Mayan Riviera and Hualtuco have not been singled out, although the resort towns of Cabo San Lucas and Acapulco are located in the affected states of Baja California and Guerrero.

I only see one solution that will end the drug problems that are around the World :!:
Wishful thinking... :)

edited to change photo link...oops :oops: ..not paying attention
Last edited by Plus4 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:27 pm

Just say no to Wikipedia? Where does that come from? Isn't is just say no to drugs?

Yes, I agree the media (which are very few companies in the end) just want to sell, Mexico is the current fad.

My main issue is that they just lump the whole country into a problem that is within the US and Mexico border strip mainly. What's the point in affecting tourism in Vallarta, Cabos, Cancun, etc. Irresponsible media affects the welfare of millions, specially in the current recession. I would even dare to call it criminal irresponsibility by the media.

Mogens

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

It's the border towns that are making it so bad

Post by katnsocal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:24 pm

LA news last night.....A 19-year-old who was working in Anaheim for a meat delivery company was found stabbed to death in Tijuana (he still had the knife sticking out of his chest). His last text message to his boss was he was going to his Dr's. appt. and would be back to the office after that. They still haven't found the delivery truck and they don't know how he got across the border to Tijuana.

Should the media have reported it, sure they should have, they are still trying to figure out what happened to this kid. San Diego Police are assisting Mexican police in the investigation. Unfortuantely this is the kind of news that makes everyone think all of Mexico is bad. This kid was not a drug dealer, he had enlisted in the army and was delivering meat until they called him up. The media is reporting on it because it is now crossing the border into the U.S. Will this keep me from going to PV, NO, but there are places in Mexico I won't go.

So many people who have never been to Mexico before think all of Mexico is like the border towns, dirty, nasty and crime-ridden, because if they have gone to or had friends go just across the border that is all they have heard or seen.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 pm

I agree mogens...
I feel sorry for those that are going to suffer financially
because of all this......

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It's the border towns that are making it so bad

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:33 pm

katnsocal wrote:So many people who have never been to Mexico before think all of Mexico is like the border towns, dirty, nasty and crime-ridden, because if they have gone to or had friends go just across the border that is all they have heard or seen.
Sure, after traveling through a small border town (I think it was Nogales) some 5-6 years ago I understood why there was a bad image of Mexico, it was shameful and depressing, if all of Mexico were that way I'd never moved here.

The truth is that Guadalajara is fabulous (at times paper work and inefficiency can get to me) and when you take all things into consideration, a great place to live. Some may say the same about Vallarta too.

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 pm

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettrave ... about.html

Interesting read, specially the comments at the end.

Greetings

Mogens

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 am

This may have already been posted so for anybody scared of mexico ,just look up the bad stuff that happens in new orleans ,yet you dont hear a peep about warning anyone from traveling there, let alone my little town of south bend with the most gun murders or quickly approaching yet to date this year
If financially I had a choice ,mine would be mexico.I would be a border jumper and I served in our military ,sorry.

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lanhawk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:05 pm

I think with the economy in the tank we are going to see a raise in crime, not only in Mexico but here in the US. That being said, my father who just came back from Puerto Vallarta, said things are fine down there and that the police presence is a little higher now. As long as tourist take the unusal precautions, they should be fine. I will be heading down in there this Saturday at one of the most busiest times of the year and I will personally let you know how things are.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm

PV Tourism Board is making some good videos on Vallarta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kImj6PvXvbc

Ah, and an interesting article:
http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/vi ... bd5f4cbc65
Puts things more in perspective.

Interesting to note the part they say that The Tourism Council of the State of Florida finances sites that try to give Mexico a bad image.

Greetings

Mogens

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Mogens: Muchas Gracias for the links. Don't know if you noticed it or not but Tom's and my testimonial is out there. If anyone wants our autographs, please send money to us and we will send you one. Ha! Ha! We need some way to raise money to go back to Sunbust and buy donas. The lady at Wal-Mart asked us if we were selling them on the beach. We laughed and told her that we should be selling to the Americans on the beach to go with their Starbucks coffee.

In all honesty, it is sad that the government and news media are making such a big deal out of this. We feel very safe in PVR (unlike Jamaica) and will continue to go back again and again. PVR has so much to offer so please everyone go and enjoy!! You won't regret it!!

Lorrie

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mexico Update

Post by webmaster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm

http://mexico-update.com

Interesting site.

Mogens

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mexico's tourist zones much safer than many in USA

Post by webmaster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Report: Mexico's tourist zones much safer than many in U.S. | Los Angeles Times

Now Mexico's real estate industry is fighting back. A day before President Barack Obama visits Mexico to discuss, among other things, the troublesome drug war issue, RE/MAX Investment Properties issued the results of its research claiming that tourist zones in Mexico are up to 26 times safer than many tourist zones in the United States.

Among its findings: The state of Baja California Sur, which includes some of my favorite destinations such as Cabo San Lucas, La Paz and Loreto, has a homicide rate 26 times lower than Orlando, 18 times lower than Miami, 17 times lower than West Palm Beach and 12 times lower than Tampa and Honolulu.

(Note to self: Stay away from Florida!)

More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outpost ... in-us.html

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Well i hope that Obama, Hilary, and Homeland security got to see this report. Wonder if i should send them our you-tube page as well... that will get them going...

thanks for the updates there boss....