Tipping

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

VallartaFan
Tipping

Post by VallartaFan » Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:31 am

Our family just returned from beautiful PVR. We stayed at the Continental Plaza and had a fantastic time. We were wondering about tipping practices and amounts.
Do you tip your taxi driver, the hotel guy who opens the taxi door for you, the travel agent in the hotel, the bartender, the maids, the waiter, the front desk clerk, the tour guide and driver? How much? Thanks for any info, we will definitely be returning to this special place on earth.

taxmeg
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Tipping

Post by taxmeg » Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:44 am

maid....yes, they dont get much. bartenders...yes....they will remember you. waiter, yes. desk clerk, probably not, nor would i tip the travel person in the hotel unless they went above and beyond helping you. taxi driver..they dont expect it, but if they are nice and get you there fast, a couple pesos is really appreciated-the ones i tipped were surprised and happy

taxmeg
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by taxmeg » Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:52 am

maid....yes, they dont get much. bartenders...yes....they will remember you. waiter, yes. desk clerk, probably not, nor would i tip the travel person in the hotel unless they went above and beyond helping you. taxi driver..they dont expect it, but if they are nice and get you there fast, a couple pesos is really appreciated-the ones i tipped were surprised and happy

VallartaFan

Post by VallartaFan » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:30 am

Thanks for the info, Meg, sounds like the usual. We just didn't want to leave anyone out and look like schmucks, if you know what I mean :)

Captain Sportster

Post by Captain Sportster » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:40 pm

We tipped pretty much along these lines:

The maids - 5 pesos per day

Waitresses in bars - 5 pesos about every 3 or 4 rounds of drinks.

Bartenders - 5 pesos about the same as barmaids.

Food waiters - 10 pesos per meal for two persons

Bellboy - 5 pesos when he brought our luggage to our room.

Front desk, taxis, etc. NO TIPS. They don't expect it and I have been told it is discourged so that they don't become expectant of tips.

SPUD2

Re:Tipping - For PMT or JR

Post by SPUD2 » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:26 pm

Pam / John
As you both live in PV, would you please let us know what you both think is adequate tips for services preformed ?
Personally, I tip the same ammounts that Iwould tip in Canada,everyone in PV is so nice and helpful that I think they deserve "some jelly on their peanut butter sandwich "

bburpi

Post by bburpi » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:24 pm

Captain Sportster (Mar 16, 2002 01:40 p.m.):
We tipped pretty much along these lines:

The maids - 5 pesos per day

Waitresses in bars - 5 pesos about every 3 or 4 rounds of drinks.

Bartenders - 5 pesos about the same as barmaids.

Food waiters - 10 pesos per meal for two persons

Bellboy - 5 pesos when he brought our luggage to our room.
Boy, You're pretty cheap, you from Canada?

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:45 pm

A good rule of thumb, is tip 10 pesos per bag, this includes taxi driver for loading/unloading luggage, or transfer service, and bellboy, or the person who carries your luggage to your room.

I tip the maid daily, as maids can change rooms, etc. and usually 20-30 pesos depending on the room and amount of work to be done.

I tip 15-20% for dining out, as I do at home.....

I always give the bartender or server at least 10 pesos per round.

**** most often if you fly a charter or with an group, they give you information on tipping. The brouchure amounts to the same as I posted, but give as you see fit.

If you are down for a while, you will come across other areas for tipping. Grocery baggers, usually children working for free to get work experience and a few pesos for pocket change or to pay for school or books. I usually give a peso or so per bag.

Gas station attendents: a few pesos for filling, more if they check oil, tires and wash windows.

Parking lot attendents: people who help you find a spot, guide you in and out and watch the car while you shop, etc. A couple pesos.

People who wash the car on the street: we didn't let them, as the rags were dirtier than the truck! :)

Excursions: they usually pass a hat or a jug at the end, tip as you see fit, usually 50 pesos or so...depending on length of tour, and drinks, meals etc. They usually bend over backwards serving you, making sure you have drinks, food, and fun. They make very little, so the tips are their livelyhood.

You will find ANYWHERE in North America within the tipping industry the people live off the tips and the wage is paltry. Tipping insures good service.

* sidenote: Servers in the US must pay taxes on 10% of their total sales, if you get stiffed or only make 10% tips, you have come out with just a basic wage, usually less than $5.00 an hour. I would imagine tips in Mexico must also be claimed to Hacienda....

SPUD2

Post by SPUD2 » Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:26 pm

Boy, You're pretty cheap, you from Canada?

Hi bburpi
Now don't go knocking us Canadian's , eh !!
I saw "2 big rich Merican's" leave 1/2 peso tip after a real good meal at our hotel !!!

Each to his own ,but good service deserves good tips no matter where you get the service.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:10 pm

Ay SPUD2; how's it goin, eh? Jeez, we take the hockey gold and we get insulted for the next 4 years!

I think overall, there's no RIGHT tip....it's a matter of personal choice; no one person's choice being better than anothers. If Bzy1 prefers to tip a maid (who is supposedly making $5 U.S. a day) the equivalent of 20-30 pesos or $2-$3 a day, then that's what she should do and I'm sure what seems reasonable or right to her.

If Captain Sportster prefers to tip a maid 5 pesos (given we Canucks get a little over 5 pesos to the Canuck buck) that's about a buck or 15-20%. That's his preference and seems reasonable and right to him.

As far as drinks, at an AI which is where Captain Sportster went, I also don't tip every round; usually every 2-3 rounds. If I go to the bar to get my own single drink I rarely tip. If the service has been super all day then I'll tip at the end of the day. If I go up to an AI bar and get a tray of something I'll tip. Again, my choice and what seems reasonable and right to me. Whose to say it's wrong?

Unfortunately, most AI's have a 'central' tip bucket where all tips go and are divvied up amongst the staff - thus those who perform extremely well (versus those who don't) are somewhat penalized.

Last year, at an AI, I waited until the last day then went and gave 'Thank You' cards (in sealed envelopes) to 3 of the "dynamite" staff we felt were exceptional - told them they couldn't open the envelopes 'til they got home. Hopefully they were able to keep all the money - they deserved it.

bburpi

Post by bburpi » Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:56 pm

Hi bburpi
Now don't go knocking us Canadian's , eh !!
I saw "2 big rich Merican's" leave 1/2 peso tip after a real good meal at our hotel !!!

I was a bit too quick with the 'Canadians' jibe, sorry and he wasn't from Canada but Illinois.
I still think that a 5 pesos tip for a maid or waiter (after 3 rounds, 2 people the cuenta would be at least 150 pesos = 3% tip?) is way too small. Would not surprise me if his service was less than perfect. BTW Mexican nationals have a poor reputation in the tips dept.