Pacifico, Sol Corona...?

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Pacifico, Sol Corona...?

Post by canucker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:09 pm

I prefer Pacifico when in Mexico.

I keep reading about everyone's "love" of Corona. Why?

Does anyone feel the same way as I do?

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Re:Pacifico, Sol Corona...?

Post by connor » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm

our other email address has " sol " in it. i love all 3 of those beers. dos equis and tecate are good also. at home, the beer in the fridge is usually corona and carib " a great tasting lager from trinidad which we first tried in trinidad on our honeymoon " when we are in mexico any of the mexican beer will do us just fine.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:16 am

Have to agree with MM , I'm not too choosey when it comes to beer in PV. I understand your fondness for Pacifico. I don't really like when they put lime slices in my beer but I can suffer through that.

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:27 am

Funny you mention lime.

The reason, so I'm told, for the lime is to wipe the rim of the bottle with it to rid of the bacteria and germs under the cap. You are not supposed to put the lime in your beer, you are supposed to discard it on the plate they provide you. I found this to be true at a Mexican Cantina in Mismaloya.

Just a footnote... every local in that cantina was drinking Pacifico.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:19 am

My personal preference in Mexico is Bohemia, Pacifico on the beach when I'm hot and thirsty. Corona is what I use to cleanse my palate after several pina coladas...I consider it Mexican Mouthwash in that way LOL

It's a well marketed but very bland cerveza IMO.

whitey
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by whitey » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:28 am

So...when doing tequila shots are you supposed to wipe the rim of the shot glass with the lime? At that point a few germs would not survive anyway. Never heard the bacteria/germs one before!

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:06 am

I'm with you...Pacifico is my favorite...followed by Bohemia

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:06 am

And what about negra modelo? Not cheap, but on par with bohemia.

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:10 am

As an ex economist, I measure inflation in Puerto Vallarta by the price of beer, compared to the states. When we first came down here (went down there -- we are not living there yet, just in the mindset) you could buy a six pack of negra modelo for ONE DOLLAR!! ten years ago. Now a six pack of tecate is 4-5 dollars, but the price has been steady for the last couple of years. I have also been told by natives that I don't know where to buy beer.

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:11 am

As an ex economist, I measure inflation in Puerto Vallarta by the price of beer, compared to the states. When we first came down here (went down there -- we are not living there yet, just in the mindset) you could buy a six pack of negra modelo for ONE DOLLAR!! ten years ago. Now a six pack of tecate is 4-5 dollars, but the price has been steady for the last couple of years. I have also been told by natives that I don't know where to buy beer.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:07 am

Pacifico tops my favorite beer list. I don't really like Corona, but there's no denying that the U.S. distributors of the Corona product are true marketing masters.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:23 pm

In Mexico people love salt and lime (lemon here), they'll add it to anything they encounter (almost), and that is the case with beers too. The lime is so you can add it to the beer, salt maybe too... I doubt it has anything to do with germs... a good wipe would take care of that...

Regarding good beers, I can't stand Bud, but there are some good ones here in Mexico, the best for me being Leon and Montejo, a little hard to find, but now that Grupo Modelo bought the Cerveceria Yucateca, you can find them easier. All else failing a Pacifico is alright and Bohemia is good too. If I want to go to paradise a Carlsberg Elefant would be the best... but only in Denmark can I have the fortune to get one. :-)

Greetings

Mogens

Lodac1

Post by Lodac1 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:25 pm

Dos Equis or Modello Especial are my favorites. Pacifico or Tecate are acceptable. Corona is not fit ot drink, and if that is the only choice, I switch to the fru fru drinks, usually pina colada or margarita. The Burro Bar makes a really good blackberry daquari, very unusual.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:06 pm

Mogens (Jun 03, 2004 12:23 p.m.):
In Mexico people love salt and lime (lemon here), they'll add it to anything they encounter (almost), and that is the case with beers too. The lime is so you can add it to the beer, salt maybe too... I doubt it has anything to do with germs... a good wipe would take care of that...

Regarding good beers, I can't stand Bud, but there are some good ones here in Mexico, the best for me being Leon and Montejo, a little hard to find, but now that Grupo Modelo bought the Cerveceria Yucateca, you can find them easier. All else failing a Pacifico is alright and Bohemia is good too. If I want to go to paradise a Carlsberg Elefant would be the best... but only in Denmark can I have the fortune to get one. :-)

Greetings

Mogens
i am sitting here at my computer getting ready to go in the basck yard and enjoy a beautiful vancouver day, ( 78 ferhenheit , 24 celcius ) my wife just passed me a corona ( or mouth wash as has been mentioned in another post ). i just finished a nice carib beer a few minutes ago. with this corona i have taken the proper precautions, i used my 1 lime to sterilize the bottle top, and the other lime is stuck inside the neck of the bottle because my wife made the wedge to thick. i must try this bohemia next time in mexico. always something to look forward to.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:08 pm

whooops i almost forgot. great subject canucker.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:32 pm

I did forget about Negro Modelo...yikes! When I can find it here at home I often buy the Dos Equis Amber. It's quite nice.

I have been known to drink a Sol from time to time when I'm hot and thirsty, but that's the only time.

And with that, I'm off to enjoy the oodles of Alberta sunshine (27C today!) and a nice slightly chilled Leffe on a patio somewhere...

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:05 am

I'm not a beer snob and really like mostmexican beers. I live in St. Louis, Missouri and will not drink an Anheiser-Busch product to save my life. As far as brands go,Bohemia, Pacifico, Negro Modelo, Modelo Especial, Dos XX, Corona and Sol I would drink any of them pretty much in that order. These are what I have at home with the exception of Sol which I can't find in STL. BTW, my absolute choice of brews, you just can't beat a Guinness Stout..UHUHUH ;P

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:21 pm

Even though the temps here at home are a mirror to PV, (mid to high 30's), and the beer (Pacifico) is nice, cold and refreshing, it just doesn't taste the same as the ones I remember in PV. I compare this phenomenon to hot dogs or roasted peanuts at a ball game. It's never the same unless you're there.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ... a beer discussion! Now that's a subject that I can wrap my lips around!

Personally, I happen to be a fan of ale ... specifically India Pale Ale (IPA). A first-class IPA is really hard to beat in my book.

The first Mexican beer I ever had was a XX Amber and it is still a favorite of mine, prabably because it has a little more flavor than most Mexican brews. When in PV, though, I prefer Pacifico or Bohemia because most restaurants/bars (that I frequent) don't have XX Amber. Bohemia is a little "heavier" than Pacifico, to my way of thinking, so with the hot weather I usually stick to Pacifico.

As far as I'm concerned, Corona tastes like "panther piss". I can't stand the stuff ... and, like the earlier poster, will switch to mixed drinks is all that's available is Corona. The Corona marketing department is on par, I think, with the marketing departments of both Anheuser-Busch and Jose Cuervo. All three make lousy products (for the most part) but market them to perfection.

As to the lime issue ... I happen to prefer my Mexican beer with lime. In fact, during the summer here in Cincinnati, I will even purchase some "key limes" and add them to whatever brew I'm drinking at the time. I personally think that the lime adds a certain thirst-quenching aspect.

My first time in Mexico (about 20 years ago) I made the mistake of dropping the lime into my beer (just like I did here in the states). Everything was fine for about 4 days, after which I came up with the worst case of the "Tijuana Two Step" that you can imagine. The only reason I can think of was that the limes weren't washed in purified water. Haven't made that mistake since, although I suspect that now most limes in most bars are washed in 'agua purificada'. So if you want lime in your brew, don't tempt fate ... put the used lime peel on the plate or napkin the give you.