Help!!!

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

wdwhite
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Help!!!

Post by wdwhite » Mon May 31, 2004 10:14 pm

Moving to PV and closing on a place August 3rd. Coming from Toronto and having a nightmare of a time getting things moved down. Told that moving by sea is dangerous (containers disappear), doing so by land is exhorbitant (yes, it is) cost wise and generally feeling very down at the moment.

Anyone out there who's moved from TO to PV and brought a half container or truck load down. Problems to expect or any other stories I should know of. I'm almost ready to sell the paper on a home I haven't even closed on.

Any suggestions, help, stories, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Whitey

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re:Help!!!

Post by smitty » Mon May 31, 2004 11:04 pm

Sorry Whitey, no advice , but best wishes with the move, you are a lucky man. Also noting we have 2 Whitey's on board- upper case and lower case -being the difference. Please keep us informed on how everything progresses.

wdwhite
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by wdwhite » Mon May 31, 2004 11:13 pm

Smitty (May 31, 2004 07:04 p.m.):
Sorry Whitey, no advice , but best wishes with the move, you are a lucky man. Also noting we have 2 Whitey's on board- upper case and lower case -being the difference. Please keep us informed on how everything progresses.
Thanks for the support Smitty. This 'Whitey' is a woman. Found a website further down with loads of great information about the physical move. Complicated but calmed me down if someone from LA had to go through this...Canada's a lot tougher.

It's all going to work out and be worth it by September. Problem I was facing was not remembering *why* I was moving...took about 10 minutes and some fresh cold wet dirty air TO style.

Thanks again,

'Wendy' (aka Whitey)

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:11 am

I sold up in Alta. and drove down with a 15' horse trailer. Easy driving. Just make sure you have your FM3 and bring a list of everything you bring, serial numbers etc. Personally i wouldn't bring too much stuff as it will be expensive and you can buy almost everything you have right here. I know of someone who paid an awful lot of miney bringing all her household here by truck only to have her move back and sell everything here. Hope this helps a little.

MRS B

Post by MRS B » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:10 am

Hi Wendy (aka Whitey) I am moving down myself from the TO are about the same time,....My sister and her locally born husband have an 8 unit apartment building and a grocery store next to it,.. I will be managing the apt bldg for them........I am a wee bit apprehensive myself as this will be a huge (empty nest kind of ) lifestyle change for me,..and I haven't even been there once,..so I'm going blind,....but my sister moved there about 3 years ago, and between her experiences and her hubbys local knowledge, maybe I could play go between if there are any specifics you are wondering about,.....drop me a line at mrsveebee@hotmail.com as my sister is not the most computer literate,....and perhaps I'll see you there sometime,....if not I hope all goes well for both of us.