Tipping - what's appropriate?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

prcoamo
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Tipping - what's appropriate?

Post by prcoamo » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:44 pm

We're staying at an All-Inclusive and I'm wondering is it correct/incorrect to leave a tip to
bus boy or whoever? Also, what about out in town at restaurants etc. is a tip recommended? If so, what's normal percentage?
I've read where some people state that if you leave a tip for the maid they'll fancy your room up with nicely arranged towels and fresh flowers. Has anyoney experienced this? If so, what was the normal tip you left (i guess in pesos)?

thank you

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Tipping - what's appropriate?

Post by webmaster » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:23 pm

When I went to Cancun for my honeymoon to an All-inclusive resort (Crown Paradise), I asked the guys there how much they received in the form of tips per day, "one dollar a day"... so from that moment on I tipped everything that moved at the hotel! Forget the all-inclusive label when it comes to tipping. I would tip the barmen between 5 and 10 pesos each drink, 20-30 pesos for the restaurant waiters, and so on. When eating out I use the 10% for alright service and 15% for exceptional service. Other services do not require so much to obtain a happy face.

Good luck,

Mogens

rapidtales

Post by rapidtales » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:37 am

Hi we stay ai and we leave our maid one US $ on each pillow each day total of two $ also the bell boys we give them 2$ when they take our bags up, the waiters we tip a dollar each time we eat, but keep in mind we try to sit the same spot each time so we have the same waiter, plus most of them have become friends over the years, also the tips are the bulk of there money they dont get paid much, less than a night out at home. so this means alot to them and they do go out of there way to take care of you. we also take things for the maid like candy- makeup- they love that. we bought a big bag of candy and took zip lock bags, and keep filling them. she did some pretty neet things in our room. and the waiters will watch for you to come in so you sit in there section.

mnlakes56
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mnlakes56 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:04 am

XCELLENT ADVISE / GUIDELINES

prcoamo
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by prcoamo » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:28 pm

Thanks for the advice and suggestions - They are all great! Will definetely follow them

susanna

Post by susanna » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:52 pm

I have never stayed in an A-I, but will comment to restaurants around town. Yes a tip is appropriate and expected. I tip a normal 15-20% but more when service was great and/or prices are low (for instance a wonderful breakfast in Old Town on the patio might only cost 45 pesos... I'd leave 10-12 pesos anyway).

I tip in peso (avoid that US $1 thing, although I know other disagree, I feel it is rude and the people just have to go exchange it, just as you would). I leave 10 peso for the maid each day, traveling single in a budget hotel. And yes I got extra towels (this was in a 2-star budget hotel and no flowers weren't included :-)

I also tip taxi drivers just a little bit on top of their fare, just round up to a convenient amount. I always have carried my own bags there aren't bellboys in my kind of hotel~ haha.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:58 am

It is not customary to tip cab drivers in Mexico, but I guess if they really went out of the way to do something for you, it might be appropriate. Or, like susanna says, just to round off the amount.

This is completely off-topic, but speaking of rounding off the amounts, one of my minor pet peeves is when you go into a U.S. chain restaurant, like MacDonalds, in almost any part of the world and you receive change in some denomination which is so small as to be useless.

To clarify, I have noticed in many non-U.S. businesses in Mexico (and other parts of the world) include the sales tax into the prices on their menu. Its very easy when you go to pay, because the amount is an even number of pesos. But, for some unknown reason, U.S. companies operating in other parts of the world don't put the sales tax into the menu prices and after paying, you wind up walking around with a pocket of 10 centavo coins, which at this time have a value of less than one penny. When I used to go to Japan often, the only place that I would encounter the almost worthless 1 yen coin was when I went to MacDonalds.

But, as they say, there are more important things to worry about :)

clinta74

Post by clinta74 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:15 pm

For the most part I agree, but it depends on the AI that you are staying at. It is against the rules at some and they have signs that say "Please No Tipping", the idea being that you are staying at an AI and EVERYTHING is covered. They don't want the help begging. ( I have heard of some badgering of patrons at a resort in Vuevo Vallarta by the staff for tips) 10 pesos ($1) tip per drink?? You've got to be joking, or the waitress/waiter is really cute! I usually leave any loose change that I have for the maids. I have found that they do a much more personal job on your room if you leave them something and I have never had anything missing. Also like in the states they are the worst paid (often under $6 a day) at the resort.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:37 pm

For the locals, any job that provides contact with the tourists and offers prospects for tips is a job worth keeping. Otherwise, their low hourly pay makes it difficult to live in an expensive place like Puerto Vallarta.