tipping and car rentals

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rbaby
tipping and car rentals

Post by rbaby » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Is it better to tip in american dollars or pesos when you are tipping for service in a restaurant, hotel or on a tour event?

Another question I have is about car rentals. We chose to rent a car rather than rely on buses and taxis (my husband loves to drive). The cost for a week for a small car with AC from Dollar was only $75. All the other agencies were at least $200. Should I be worried? Thanks

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Tipping

Post by stew » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:37 pm

Would you prefer to get paid in Peso or dollars at your job in the US? I do not understand why anyone would even consider tipping in a currency other than the country they are in. If you tip or pay in dollars that means a trip to the bank for the tippee to stand in line instead of going home to their family. Tip Pesos POR FAVOR!

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Couldn't agree more with Stew. Please tip in pesos.

As for the care rental it does seem rather cheap for a week but I have never rented a car in PV so can't really comment on it.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by webmaster » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:34 pm

I believe this tipping in dollars thing comes from travellers that go to destinations where people do not have ready access to dollars and therefore can get a better exchange in the black market, say Cuba (and now places like Venezuela).

But as anyone in Mexico can buy all the dollars they want at a bank or money exchange, there is no need to tip in dollars, and as the prior members said, is actually an extra hassle.

Greetings

Mogens

tojol57

agreed

Post by tojol57 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:38 pm

I throw my two cents in here too. Agreed that tipping in pesos is the best. but we have also found that some of our friends and staff at our resort really like the USD. Granted they have to slip to the bank to exchange, but so do you in the reverse. 6 to 1 and a half dozen to another. do what is comfortable to you! and be comfortable on how you tip too.

have a great time... enjoy...

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

dollar

Post by rossk » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:37 pm

We rented a Nissan Tsuru from Dollar last fall, and the price quoted was about what you mentioned. Insurance doubled the amount (I wouldn't consider driving there without it) and we paid about $220 or so for the week. The car was ok, fairly new but much like American market Japanese cars a generation ago, tinny and a bit crude. Great A/C, and can't complain, for the price.

As I remember, some companies quoted rates that included basic liability insurance (American policies don't apply in Mexico), so the price differentials may not be as great as they seem.

If you are involved in an accident, and you have no Mexican insurance, you are in deep doo-doo, so spend the $$ for your peace of mind.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:54 am

:wink: We did not rent a car because the taxis AND the buses are so easy to use and the important thing: They KNOW where they are going. We returned on Tuesday, Oct 18, from our first stay in Nuevo Vallarta - have always stayed in hotel zone or downtown....anyway the POLICIA were all over the main highway going out of PV to Nuevo....don't drink and drive, you're sure to get it!!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 pm

I prefer pesos IF they are in the right denomination. Sometimes you find yourself with nothing smaller than $100mp. In that case a couple of usd are excepted without a problem. When I exchandge Usd to mp at the casa de cambios, they are very willing to break some of the $200mp notes to $20 and $50...just the right size for tipping.