Tipping AI I thought included so what's the point?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

cb98498
Tipping AI I thought included so what's the point?

Post by cb98498 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 am

I thought the whole idea to do the all inclusive is because tipping is INCLUDED and you don't have to carry around money, especially in the hotel, to the beach, pool etc.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 am

A subject of misunderstandings, previous posts on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=4321
viewtopic.php?t=7168
viewtopic.php?t=1052
viewtopic.php?t=979
viewtopic.php?t=4092
viewtopic.php?t=916
viewtopic.php?t=587
viewtopic.php?t=2951

and there are more :shock:.

Greetings

Mogens

spud
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

AI TIPPING

Post by spud » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:22 am

I go to AI Hotels, and tip to the same standard as at home.
Agreed, that the travel brochures say that all tips and gratuities are included in the AI premium, but not all hotels really do share the tip portion of the cost with the workers. :(
I think that the average wage for hotel staff is around 50 to 60 pesos a day (I know that is not my problem or doing ) and as we get better service in PV than at home, I gladly tip so that they may be able to pay their bills and have some comfort in their lives.
If you make friends with some of the locals, and visit their homes (which I do ) you will understand why they are thankful of tips.

C'mon, dig into your pocket and spread some joy around. :lol:

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: AI TIPPING

Post by stew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:54 am

spud wrote:I go to AI Hotels, and tip to the same standard as at home.
Agreed, that the travel brochures say that all tips and gratuities are included in the AI premium, but not all hotels really do share the tip portion of the cost with the workers. :(
I think that the average wage for hotel staff is around 50 to 60 pesos a day (I know that is not my problem or doing ) and as we get better service in PV than at home, I gladly tip so that they may be able to pay their bills and have some comfort in their lives.
If you make friends with some of the locals, and visit their homes (which I do ) you will understand why they are thankful of tips.

C'mon, dig into your pocket and spread some joy around. :lol:
I have made a number of life long amigos all over Mexico just like you describe. That's worth a 1000 tours IMO!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:32 pm

The first time we stayed at an AI I realized that tips were included, but I felt I needed to tip any way. I have seen some guests not tip and still get good service. It just make me feel good to reward those who serve guests with a tip. Over the course of a week, I easily tip $2000mp. They are happy to receive the gratuity and I am very happy to be able to provide it. If you don't want to tip, so be it. It seems so very little expense to me but a great addition to their meager income.

tojol57

Point well taken

Post by tojol57 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:38 pm

Most of the hotels and resorts pay their employees based on serveral standards. One of the major ones it occupancy. If the resort is 100% full all the time, they wages are better. Next is where you are at on the (i hate to say this) the food chain. Are you a Matr'D, bus help, waiter, bartender, made service, security, kitchen, laundry, etc... The average wage is between $8 USD to $10 USD depending on where you are at. And granted that tips are included, but that is also based on what the resort took in that week to divide up in the payroll. When we are down to the resort we tip $5 USD per day for maid services (we also help out by getting our towels out the door when we leave so that they know we are leaving for the day). We also get the bedding stripped out the way they like it too and ready for them. Around the bars it is a buck or two here and there, thru out the day. same way at night when we are in the resturants, service, quality, showmanship when making the sexy coffees etc. these people have become our familia, we are invited to their homes for special occassions - birthdays, anniversaries and even dinner prepared their way. we have also had some of the staff's relatives take us on tours, fishing, joy rides out into the country side. We all want a better quality of life for ourselves as well as for the staff.

I know that it is frustrating to think when the ad says "tips" included, and you find yourself having to tip. well you can blame us the have come before you for spoiling the staff so much. for reaching into our pockets and sharing with them, and possibly making it tough for you.

love hugs and kisses from Iowa

Tom

Tom and Alex
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tom and Alex » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Come on guys, a few pesos will not break you...the folks work for a very low wage and if we have money to take a trip or even if we live there lwts show our appreciation if they deserve it.....Enjoy your stay :D

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

go ahead, tip a little

Post by welovepv » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:44 pm

:) Go ahead and tip a little. If you don't tip you are sure to get good service anyway, however, a little bit of tipping goes a long way. Your service will be faster, your drinks a little stronger, your room cleaner with some added touches! What is not much to you really adds up for them!

canadiandude
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canadiandude » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 pm

I have to agree what was said. The other day I was talking to my mother and she was asking about my trip. If I am ready, what I'm bringing, that kind of stuff. She asked if the tips were included and I told her yes they are but I'm planning on tipping anyways. I am almost 110% sure that I will get better service there than I do here. So why not tip and make someones life a little easier. At the end of the trip it sure wont break me.

jovin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jovin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:50 am

I have also learned through several trips to Mexico, and having a friend who works at a resort in Cancun, that not everyone gets the "tips included'. I have found out that some of the hotel chains use these so-called tips for management bonuses and payroll, so the regular workers never get any of it. We should all feel so fortunate that we are able to visit such beautiful places, and we should all share what we are so privileged to have. Understandably everyone has their own budget, but really, do yourself a favor, and budget in a little for the workers who try so hard to ensure we all have a wonderful time. They will appreciate it greatly and you will feel good doing it. :wink:

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:31 pm

I read somewhere once that a couple did not tip and received really bad service. That was enough for me - I thought - what is $5 a day? Really? I gladly tipped regardless of the service.

Take care.

Tracy
82 sleeps! :D

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

tips

Post by stew » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:37 pm

I gladly tipped regardless of the service.
Take care.
Tracy
Sounds like Black Mail to this old Gringo!

De

tipping

Post by De » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:20 pm

We have been going to AIs for many years now, and at first didn't tip, but now we tip regularly. We don't necessarily tip ALL the staff, but our favorites of the week. ALWAYS the bartenders and at dinner, especially if we go in a large group of people. Our experience has been that whatever amount the tip is, they are extremely grateful and thankful. We have never felt (from a staff member) that a tip is expected, like at home, and that makes it even easier to tip.

De[/i]

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:38 pm

When we were in PV in March - we went to Chico's Paradise. We ate (and within an hour, I was sick) and when we paid, the waiter basically demanded a bigger tip. In this one case - I felt he was rude and so we did not leave a tip. I will leave a tip unless someone is rude or I receive very poor service. I do that here at home as well as anywhere else we go.

Take care.

Tracy

biglarry

tipping

Post by biglarry » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:27 pm

During my first trip to Mexico, in Puerto Vallarta, I learned the hard way that tipping can make a difference. It did not occur to me at the time to tip the maid, and we found ourselves without an adequate towel and bottled water supply for the first couple of days. Mgmt didn't help, so we started leaving a tip, and lo and behold, towels and water galor! I have been to Mexico a couple of dozen times since then and have found that tipping always improves the quality of your stay and is much appreciated by the staff.

Cassandra
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Cassandra » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:37 am

Tipping has made our holidays so much more enjoyable. What's a few bucks every day to us anyways? I know that it's not required as we pay up front but wow does it ever make a huge difference. The waiters really do remember you from meal to meal. I really like having my coffee cup full and not having to ask for the cream every morning. Usually my husband tips the maid at the end of the trip (no matter what kind of job she did) but we've learned that it's important to tip daily! e.i. fresh towels.....toilet paper......kleenex.......fresh towels.......toilet paper.....I think you get the idea! We're going for 2 weeks this trip and I intend to have all the amenities in my room every day without having to ask for them and maybe even some fresh flowers by acknowledging the maid immediately! I'll be sure to let everyone know how this goes! My biggest expense at our next All Inclusive will be the tip budget!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:29 pm

I'm ready to return to the GCP in Feb and am already saving new crisp $1 bills for every day tips. I like to tip our maid $200mp on our second day when I get to meet her. She gets the idea immediately and our room is usually cleaned and replenished by 10am. She always greets me with a big smile each morning because she knows I appreciate her hard work.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:33 pm

When we go to the bank (which we already have to exchange CDN) we ask for lots of $1's - I think this time we have 75 of them - plus bigger bills of course. I don't plan on bringing any home with me.

Take care.

Tracy
75 sleeps!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:43 pm

Really, I end up taking #200 singles and get rid of all of them, cause I tip heavily during the day. Waiters at the pool get a couple/day regular waiters same thing. Fives and Tens at the evening meals. Of course, with the exception of the ones, most of my tipping is in pesos. I find it really hard to ever get enough $20mp bills for those small tips. And if I do have those $20mp bills, since they are "plastic" they work really good in and around the pool. :idea:

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:51 pm

How much $ do you take down? in March, we took approx $800 CDN and this year we have exchanged $1000 CDN. That is about the most our budget will allow.