Hotel San Marino

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Dunc
PV Fan
PV Fan
Hotel San Marino

Post by Dunc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 am

Hi all!
We stayed there the last 2 weeks and would reccomend this place,(for seasoned travelers) for location,cleanliness,ambienece,facilities and the food was decent. It may not offer what you expect if this is your first or only trip to Mexico!
Location is the most important point,as we walked each day from the hotel down a decent boardwalk into the Centro area, access to the mercado and all of the pubs etc. Do lunch downtown and wander back to the beachside hotel. This hotel,unlike most offers enough lounge chairs for all of the guests either on the beach,under palapas or around a couple of pools. The open bar service is good(don't drink their rum if you like rum), they mix all drinks and serve decent wine and Sol beer from bottles.
You have great access to several better resturaunts and night spots within 2 blocks, expect to go out and be entertained nightly. The main pier is at your doorstep for the water taxis to Yelapa,Los Animas & Quimixto. Fishing charterts can be arrainged at the foot of the dock and leave from here. A nice choice for the seasoned mexico traveler, but a 5 star it ain't! Room rate off the street was around $125 usd no AI, a much better rate through a charter is possible.
Dunc

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 am

Hi Dunc! We had checked out a couple of their rooms last year and they were quite decent - especially the ones that looked out over the water! We are thinking of staying there on our next visit. I'm curious, though, being a rum drinker - is there something wrong with their rum?

Dunc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Sam Marino-rum

Post by Dunc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:55 pm

There likely isn't anything clinicaly wrong with the rum, but it has a definite flavor that is different to any rum that I've had before. They re-fill their bar bottle from a gallon jug, which may relate to its quality. With a dolup of coke and a squeezed lime, it did the job. But definitely ask for the dark rum as that does come in regular bottles.
For the cost of rum at the corner store,about 7 bucks, by your own bottle and order cokes. The beer is good and if you are sipping in the sun likely better for the bod.
They do stock some licquers and brandy too, and they don't skimp on the kalahu - try it in the rum. :)

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 am

Thanks so much for the heads up Dunc! We love rum so we'll check out bringing our own if we decide to stay there! And I love your idea of adding a little kahlua!!! That sounds great!!! :D

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 am

Don't "bring" your own...just buy it here at a store...it's 10 bucks a 40 oz. at Mega (for example) for Appleton's.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:03 am

Thanks Winterpeg Man!! Even better! Especially as there is never any extra room in my suitcase!! :lol:

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:09 pm

DELETED

mlroberts
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mlroberts » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Hi all,I just got an e-mail from my girlfriend who is staying at the San Marino right now (actually sitting having a coffee at Dees) and says the drinks are quite good here! Just stay away from the food!! :D

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

San Marino

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:48 pm

mlroberts wrote:Hi all,I just got an e-mail from my girlfriend who is staying at the San Marino right now (actually sitting having a coffee at Dees) and says the drinks are quite good here! Just stay away from the food!! :D
I believe we warned her of that already, didn't we? LOL

mlroberts
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mlroberts » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:35 pm

We sure did I guess she just thought maybe we were exagerating!!! :D