Drink Question

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Jsmith
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Drink Question

Post by Jsmith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:57 pm

Hi everyone! I am going to Mexico for the first time at the end of July. My fiance and I will be staying a week for our honeymoon. We will be staying at a relative's time share at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta. If you have any suggestions about this, any information would be great.

I do have a specific question though, if you are not supposed to drink water that isn't bottled in Mexico, what about the ice cubes in drinks and frozen drinks like margaritas? :?

I am very excited about our trip and can hardly wait to go! (more so than the wedding, I think! :wink: )

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:57 am

I'm under the impression that the water is filtered and safe at most places. I know in Cancun if the ice cubes have holes through them then you know they're made with purified water. I don't know if that holds true in PV but all these people here go to PV all the time and I haven't heard of any of them getting sick from the water or the ice so I think we'll be ok.
Have a good time. It's my first time going to PV too and I'm really looking forward to it.

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:05 am

We have been going to PV for quite a while and never had a problem eating or drinking anything, including the water. Enjoy yourself and have a great time.

tiffela74
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tiffela74 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:17 am

hey, I was worried about the same thing, and from what Ive heard and experienced, the water in PV is okay to drink. I drank a LOT of water and never had a single problem. I also drank all of my Margaritas blended at several different places and again, no problem. (ironically enough, PV is also the ONLY place ive ever been where I drank that much and never had a single hangover symptom!! Odd, cuz usually one tiny drink and I pay for it for days!! My mom is the same way, we dont know why, but sure do take advantage of it!!) - if you are paranoid, like my husband, you can get bottled water everywhere. And ya, Ive heard the same thing about the ice, that if it has holes in it, its safe.
btw, we also ate tons of fruit and salads and never had any probs. (heard you can get sick cuz of what kind of water theyve been washed in)
We had a group of 14 people spread out between Paradise Village and the Mayan Palace, and not a one of us got sick from the water. :) Just dont drink the pool water and you should be fine. :)
Tiff

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:12 pm

As a many time visitor to PV I say you can eat and drink just about anything you want. The water is especially clean and safe, but if it make you feel better, you can buy bottled everywhere.Image

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Puerto Vallarta has become one of the premeir places with their purification systems for water. It usually the same, if the ice has a hole in it, you are safe. If you see somebody using an ice pick to chunk off some ice for you, then pass on that... not saying that isn't good ice, but you just never know. Have a great time... you will love Vallarta...

:wink: :lol: 8)

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Restaurants and bars have ice delivered from the purified water place. Personally, I would not drink the tap water. Bottled water is cheap and available at any corner store. Seems a very easy precaution to take.
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikikis
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

personally

Post by Mikikis » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:08 am

I wouldn't drink the tap water in the majority of cities in North America....full of all sorts of things that don't do a body good (chlorine, flouride, lead). Been living in PV on and off for 12 years, have my own filter system, would recommend purified water (don't know of any restaurant in this town that doesn't have either their own filter system or buys filtered water).

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:36 am

Most resorts and the better restaurants have their own water purification systems. There is no such thing as pure water out of a tap anywhere in the world. That does not mean that it isn't safe to drink, but you will always find some bacteria in the water. Most people's bodies build up anti-bodies for these bacteria and have no problem with the water. The problem is that if you are not from an area and not use to the bacteria they have it could make you sick. I think the bigger problem that most people have is too much sun, too much to drink and too much fresh fruit. Any one of them can cause your body to react in a not so friendly way, the three together can really mess up your vacation. Be smart start out slow, do every thing in moderation and you will have a great vacation.

Condor :8-))

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Gross... If you don't regularly eat lots of fresh fruit, a couple of days of eating melons, papaya, pineapple, ect. for breakfast, will loosen up the old bowles and give you the squirtsImage. Now on the other hand if you get a fever and extreem nausea along with that then you caught a bug.

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:46 pm

I got one word for all you guys, bananas.... I eat them everyday when in Mexico. I love true tree ripe bananas. They are sweet and have a great favor and guess what the side effect is...... :wink: :wink: You got it, between the Tequila and the bananas I'm good to go, bullet proof and invisable. :lol: :lol:

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:46 pm

ozzy wrote:I got one word for all you guys, bananas.... I eat them everyday when in Mexico. I love true tree ripe bananas. They are sweet and have a great favor and guess what the side effect is...... :wink: :wink: You got it, between the Tequila and the bananas I'm good to go, bullet proof and invisable. :lol: :lol:
invisable???

I bet that comes in handy.

Joyce

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am

At least I think I am. :lol:

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:19 am

Ozzy I will agree with you on the tokill -ya ,I like it! Next time I will try the bannanas -thanks for the advise if you can see me I'm drinking-jro

gatita
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by gatita » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:32 pm

I would definately drink bottled water just to be on the safe side. I always think that it is not worth experimenting and ruining my vacation. I usually drink cielo if I'm buying it from the store or whatever is offered when dining. As for the ice in drinks whether cubed or blended I have never had a problem. I always think that the alcohol will kill whatever bacteria is left. I also know that when eating if you are really worried that squeezing limes over your food or in your drinks help to neutralize a lot of the bacteria that cause people to be sick. This will be my fifth time in vallarta and I have only gotten slightly sick one time (knock on wood) :D and it was because I ate some veal that didn't taste right to begin with. I have had the drinks on the malecon at night such as HORCHATA which is sold by the little vendors and have been fine. I'm sure all the water is safe to drink there. I just try to avoid drinking water that is not from a bottle because I figure I'll probaly get enough bacteria from the ice and fruit. All will be fine...don't worry!
Have a great Trip!! :!:

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:24 pm

JROJEFF wrote:Ozzy I will agree with you on the tokill -ya ,I like it! Next time I will try the bannanas -thanks for the advise if you can see me I'm drinking-jro
Hey a tip, when shopping for bannanas, touch them, and if their stcky there are great.Image

wolfdog
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by wolfdog » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:22 am

Hey, bananaman! My wife buys the 'nanas I eat every day, so it will be an easy transition down there, thanks to your "sticky" hint. "Bullet-proof and invisable"? Priceless. :D Can we find a good banana dacquiri at the south end of the Malecon?

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:45 am

I'm sure you can find banana drinks south of the Malecon. If not, try a banana margarita at PiPis!!! Then have a mango one...then have a peach one...then have a pineapple one...then have........ :shock: !!!

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:50 pm

wolfdog wrote:Hey, bananaman! My wife buys the 'nanas I eat every day, so it will be an easy transition down there, thanks to your "sticky" hint. "Bullet-proof and invisable"? Priceless. :D Can we find a good banana dacquiri at the south end of the Malecon?
Bannana man Image that gave me a chuckle. Believe it or not we went to the Holiday Inn for 3 day one time and they hade the best drink. They used fresh bannanas and I don't know what else, I know it had liquor in it, but first thing in the morning, yum yum. My wife said I was making her sick. I don't know but something happens to me whan I go to PV, must be something in the bannanas.

chi-mike
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by chi-mike » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:44 pm

yogurt is supposed to kill bacteria in your stomach. I try to eat some every morning while in pv. and I have never been sick. I like to experiment with different foods and so far so good.