Sensitive stomach

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mexasap
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Sensitive stomach

Post by mexasap » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Every trip to Mexico I get mild case of Montezuma"s revenge.
Any hints to stop this?

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:47 pm

eat yogurt and bananas for a day or 2. the bacterial culture in the yogurt will usually kill most tummy bugs.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm

some will tell you to watch your diet closer... some will tell you have yogurt for breakfast everyday so that you get extra bacteria down into your digestive system... there is also some different local remedies that people will suggest too...

my question to you is this, what were you doing the most of just before you caught "montezuma's revenge"..... the only time i get this, and i am stupid somedays for doing it, but it is when i eat and drink all day long in the hot sun, do not replenish the WATER in my system, but substitute alcohol instead, as well as eat out of my norm. There aren't too many days when i am at home that i have a big breakfast every day, then have a bloody mary or a tomato beer, then hit some more beers, then grab a snack, maybe a pop or water here and there, then a big lunch, a few more beers or cocktails, more time in the pool, a snack here and there again, then out for dinner whether it is at the resort or downtown... but if i do this day in and day out... sooner or later my metabolism tells me enough is enough, and it is all over... but i take Amodium A-D along with us, and that works fine as well....

Good luck to you on figuring our what home remedy works for you...

:wink: :lol: 8)

JPinBC

Post by JPinBC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:12 pm

"Every trip to Mexico I get mild case of Montezuma"s revenge. Any hints to stop this?"

For me, it just as the last poster described, a result of "over-indulgence" -- too much sun & heat, drink, and rich food, and usually not enough water intake to go along with the latter.

We did 4 weeks in Vallarta in May, and I "suffered" a bit for a couple of days about the half-way mark. I cut back on everything, relaxed more, and all went fine from then on!!

And for me, switching from beer and wine to good Mexican rum helped!! :lol:

rosie

Post by rosie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:52 pm

overindulgence and different foods, absolutely. Be careful with Imodium, it will stop what you need to get rid of!

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:15 am

Rosie is absolutely correct! Stay off the Imodium (unless you need it for the plane ride home :oops: ) because you do need to let your body deal with problems in it's own way. Of course, if you have been having the "revenge" for several days you sure don't want to dehydrate, so always make sure to have sips of pediolite or gatorade. Also, Cipro is great for this sort of problem and can be bought with out prescription in PV. Ask the pharmacist for proper doseage and duration. Chuck... 8)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:15 pm

I have posted here before that I have a sensitive tummy.
I have to watch what I eat at home but especially when we travel.
I mostly agree with the above comments about mild cases of Montezuma's revenge.
Montezuma's revenge can happen anywhere.
Even change of altitude can give one symptoms.
For those that can not tolerate or do not like yogurt you can go to your local health store and purchase the good bacteria L. acidophilus in tablet form which provides the needed dose.
You will know if you have more than an upset tummy from drinking too much eating too much or from the sun.
Montezuma's revenge is something like you have never had before.
When you are ill it is violent and gives no rest. It can last from 1.. 2 or 3 days to up to 3 weeks or longer. Not too many things will help until it runs it's course.
For severe Montezuma's revenge when a drop of water cramps you up and gives lots of pain you may need to put on IV for a day or so to get hydrated again.
One can go without food for many days but you need the fluid put back in you and the suggestions above are good.
My husband Bill and most of our friends have never been ill in Mexico. I have and so have a few other Gals I know but we all have sensitive tummies to begin with.

I have read very good reports about a new product..a preventative drug called Travelan.
Has anyone taken this med or heard of it??
I plan to ask my Doctor more about it and take it before we travel....(anywhere)

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Pepto Bismol is enough for me if it is a mild case.

I disagree with what is commonly agreed to here (that it is from too much sun, rich foods, and alcohol).

Because I have gotten sick a few times and it was most definitely from one certain restaurant meal. There was no doubt about it. So for me I am very aware of dairy products (cream sauces, sour cream) and how fresh food is (I only eat in busy restaurants, don't be the first or only customer, and don't order anything weird off the menu).
________
House md forum
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:48 pm

The revenge is from either virus (such as Norovirus) or bacteria that you contract from tainted food, drink, shaking hands, touching dirty surfaces, etc. The other problems with too much sun, food, drink, change in altitude, are not from pathogens and cannot be treated as such. Chuck... 8)

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:48 pm

I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before but..at times one may feel ill or just need a washroom when touring around Puerto Vallarta ...on the Malecon..at the Markets...in Pitillal etc...
Where are the Best Public washrooms located.
Thanks.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 am

Plus4 wrote:I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before but..at times one may feel ill or just need a washroom when touring around Puerto Vallarta ...on the Malecon..at the Markets...in Pitillal etc...
Thanks.
As far as downtown goes the best one I have found is on Isla Cuale. You have to pay but at least it is clean. I've never used them but have heard the ones upstairs at the flea market are bad either or there is also the McDonalds. Sorry don't know any in Pitillal.

MIcouple777
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Water

Post by MIcouple777 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:26 pm

I Find if I drink lots of water I stay feeling great, one beer one water ect ect

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Thank You Lori !

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:21 pm

I know if we are downtown and are in the need of a washroom we try to head for Mc Donald's, but we also will slip into the Blue Shrimp since we know the owner Martin and his staff really well.... And we might just sit down for a Margarita Azul as well... But i think most resturants and bars have some good washrooms, so you might just want to slip in for a cool one or an appetizer take a load off of your feet for a few minutes depending on how long you have been downtown wandering around...

good way to scope out resturants, bars, etc... to see if you want to make it a routine stop....

just some food for thought.... :wink: :lol: 8)

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

el bano

Post by susan p » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:29 pm

If I need a bathroom, I stop for a drink or bite to eat in a bar or restaurant, or an internet cafe and check my e-mail. While you have to spend a little money (very little) these will consistently get you a nice restroom, most easily.
________
Finnish recipes
Last edited by susan p on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Sensitive stomach

Post by Arizona Karen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 pm

[quote="mexasap"]Every trip to Mexico I get mild case of Montezuma"s revenge.
Any hints to stop this?[/quote]

8 of us just returned from a two week stay including San Francisco (San Pancho) north of Sayulita and also Nuevo Vallarta and only two of us ended up with mild diarrhea and they attributed it to gelato in the Paradise Village Mall.

Otherwise, we all started taking probiotics two to four weeks prior to the trip and continued through the trip. We used the pill form when in the rentals (as they need refrigeration) and chewables for meals away from the rentals.

This is the first time we've tried probiotics and I'm convinced it helped as usually we end up with more of us suffering something or other.

Like yogurt, they introduce live cultures necessary for new foods and such introduced to the digestive system but in huge quantities compared to yogurt.

We trusted the PV water and drank it all the time. We did use bottled water in San Pancho though.

Today I'll post a trip report which will include all our info. in case you're interested.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Plus4 wrote:I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before but..at times one may feel ill or just need a washroom when touring around Puerto Vallarta ...on the Malecon..at the Markets...in Pitillal etc...
Thanks.
The bathroom inside City Hall is usually in pretty good shape. We usually go there or at McDonalds.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:59 am

Arizona Karen
Quote:
Today I'll post a trip report which will include all our info. in case you're interested
Of course we are interested in your trip report. :)
and Thanks everyone for the good info.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm

We are always interested in vacation stories Arizona karen... thanks... for your insights especailly up in San Francisco etc... look forward to it...

kwschopf
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kwschopf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:31 am

I have never had Montezuma's Revenge in all my visits here and now I live here...you would think I would know better. A few weeks ago, we were shopping in Pitillal and I bought some fruit from a street vendor (little yellow cherry-looking things). They weren't very good, but I got good and sick. I bought some TREDA at the Farmacia...it has kaopectate and an antibiotic. I was fine in 24 hours. Great stuff. Karen