Ándale Bernardo" by Jim Demetro (2014)
The newest of the sculptures in town, a new creation by the well known and talented Jim Demetro, a sculpture that mixes the old traditions of the miners and the Mexican spirit of the town.
Puerto Vallarta is known for art and cultural activity, the malecon is brimming with sculptures and galleries as this statue and sculpture guide attests. A new jewel has now been added to this long and unique list of attractions.
Inauguration "Ándale Bernardo" (the burro sculpture) by Jim Demetro
February 28th, 2014 at 6:30PM the Puerto Vallarta local government's Cultural Institute inaugurated together with the Emiliano Zapata Neighborhood Association accepted the donation of a new and beautiful bronze sculpture created by Jim Demetro.
"Ándale Bernardo" (Come on! Bernardo) is the culmination of more than 2 years of work by the artist and it is now part of Lázaro Cárdenas Park. It depicts two boys, one with a carrot, another pushing a stubborn burro (donkey) and a dog "helping" too.
See all the PV sculptures on a big map
The sculpture is intended to be interactive so tourists and locals will be able to climb on the back and get their photo taken. What's a trip to Vallarta without a photo riding on a burro!
The inauguration was lead by Jim Demetro together the Vallarta Cultural Institute director, Sergio Zepeda, in front of a large crowd of spectators and tourists that came to enjoy the event.
Jim Demetro explains that the sculpture honor the hard working burros, they helped in the past moving salt from the sea to the mines up in the Sierra and more recently hauling building materials up the hills of the town (don't forget Burro Polo, another attraction in the 1960's into the 70's). This honor also includes workers, residents and visitors that make Puerto Vallarta such a wonderful place.
This is not the first sculpture by this artist as you can enjoy both "The Washer Woman" by the Molino de Agua pedestrian bridge on Olas Altas beach and the "Vallarta Dancers" on the Malecon II.
Lazaro Cardenas Park is right in the heart of the Emiliano Zapata Colonia in what is known as the Romantic Zone or Old Vallarta. Its name is in honor of the Mexican president Lázaro Cárdenas (1895-1970) that is known for having nationalized the Mexican oil industry in 1938.
View Lázaro Cárdenas Park in a larger map
The park languished for a period after it was remodelled to accommodate an underground parking lot with 183 spaces. Volunteers from Puerto Vallarta Garden Club, help from the Vallarta Botanical Gardens, water from the SEAPAL and a large number of sponsors in the area, the park came back to life.
The park is right beside Olas Altas beach a block north from Basilio Badillo where Playa Los Muertos beach starts to the south.
The Park is, since Nov. 2013, also the location of the Old Town Farmers' Market (Tianguis Cultural) each Saturday (from November to March). The Xiutla Folkloric Ballet has shows here too every friday at 7:30PM from November to April and Mexican events (Viva Vallarta and Expos), shows, zumba and more.
Author: M. A. Gallardo
Photos kindly provided by: Diego Ernesto Vega
Back to the sculpture menu