Dengue fever in PV?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

bananaboat
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Dengue fever in PV?

Post by bananaboat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:05 am

I ´ve found in google that there´s an epidemic dengue fever in Vallarta area , I´m wondering if I should be concerned about it or it is not affecting the hotels and touristic zones? :shock:

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:51 pm

De and I just returned 2 weeks ago from PV and we're both fine. We stayed in Old Town but we wandered all over the place including into Pittial. We never worried about it. But when I got back to work I found out that a co-worker - who stayed in La Penita at the end of January beginning of February - did get dengue and was quite sick from it.

I know they were fogging while we were there. I don't know what you can do - if anything - to prevent this. Maybe someone else has more info?

Sherry

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Dengue fever in PV?

Post by ellen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:02 pm

bananaboat wrote:I ´ve found in google that there´s an epidemic dengue fever in Vallarta area , I´m wondering if I should be concerned about it or it is not affecting the hotels and touristic zones? :shock:
I think you should be concerned but not let it spoil your vacation. Actually this subject was covered a couple of months ago so you can find the old postings by using the Search tab above. As for mosquitoes, what works great for me when I'm there is the "Off" cream. Whenever I applied that the skitters stayed strictly away from me. Remember that old saying, "caution is the better part of valour"........

mshuckleberrys
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mshuckleberrys » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Try Bounce sheets (like you use in the dryer). Mosquitoes love me so I just carry some sheets in a plastic bag in my purse. Then get one out and rub on my skin when I see them coming. They sure work for me. I had them with me all the time I was there in Jan/Feb. Not one bite. Norma

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Bounce Sheets

Post by helenf » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I was actually told that rubbing bounce sheets on your pets also keeps the mosquitos off of them.

Helen

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lanhawk » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm

And the pets smell nice and soft! :lol: