Book vacation now or closer to November for best price

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Book vacation now or closer to November for best price

Post by pauline2006 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:01 pm

REVISION: WE have the options of 2 airports since we are so close to the US/Canadian border.
WE can fly out of the Buffalo, New York Airport (USA)
or Toronto airport in Canada

We will most likley be flying out of Toronto!
:lol:

Is it best to book our vacation for November now..or wait closer to then.
Some have sadi wait cause the prices drop..other said book now....confused :?
we really don't have to go on a set week so we are flexible that way. First 2 weeks are great for us to travel on any day!
thanks for the help!

oEo
Last edited by pauline2006 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 pm

If you can handle not knowing exactly when you are going - wait to book... for instance: we bought our package August last year for $1400 each and by March is was down to $1100.... saves you $600 for two people - for the exact same week at the exact same hotel...

tojol57

roll the dice

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:05 pm

i guess you can roll the dice... lorrie and aren't that flexible, so we booked our november trip back in february when we were at the resort, and we also booked our 2008 Feb trip at that same time...

but if you are doing package deals (air + hotel), again roll the dice... as some of the big companies will discount to fill the charters...

jmho

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pauline2006 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:11 pm

thanks for the info.

We are flexable on which hotel and which week.

I know we paid like $820 +txs for Crown Paradise last november and we booked like 3 months in advance. Which was a great deal!

The travel agencies we are calling are being so pushy saying we should book NOW!

i'm looking at what is availabe for now for $800...lol no comparing to the Crown

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:07 pm

Pauline, i think you are on the right track, are you considering the GCP or the CPCR? or are you looking for something new this fall? It would be nice to be that flexible.. because there are some last minute HOT deals by Funjet, MLT, Apple Vacations etc... have you checked their websites to see if they are available in your area. you just never know.... and don't let the travel agents push you, they are scrambling for every dime they can make these days since there are so many of us that book our air seperately via the web, book our hotels directly, etc... they have a limited resource of clients any more... the only way we will use a travel agent is if we book another cruise, or do some exotic tour to Austraila, Europe, the pacific rim regions... otherwise, via the net....

have a good one, good luck on your questions...

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pauline2006 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I stayed at CP in Nov/06.
Great place. I would stay at GCP instead cause of the use of both places and the no kids thing.
Having stay at Getaway a few years prior I found that location a bit better for being able to walk downtown.
Its a toss up on where to stay.
I'll chekc out those websites for sure.
I'm travelling with a friend who has never been on vacation before. So its back to PV I go :lol:

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Book Later

Post by helenf » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi Pauline,

I see that you are booking out of Ontario. If you are going to fly out of Toronto, I would wait until closer to November to book seeings you are flexible. The best deals with the canadian packages happen 3 days to one month prior to departure usually, especially out of Toronto.

Our first trip to PV we booked 3 months in advance (out of Calgary). We ended up paying three times what everyone else we spoke to paid as they waited until last minute to book. Now we take two trips a year to PV and other destinations and we never, ever book further out than two weeks prior to leaving. We've saved a ton of money doing it that way.

Cheers,

Helen

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Packages

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:04 pm

You should be checking the online travel centres as well as calling agents, btw. Places like SellOffVacations and ITravel2000 put specials on all the time that the travel agents don't. Don't rely solely on a live agent - do your own research and digging too.

Just as an aside...unsolicited advice...if you are taking a friend who has never been on vacation before, be kind and don't take them to the Getaway. A frat house with palm trees, low grade booze and food, that isn't even remotely close to worth the money...places like the Buenaventura, El Pescador, Canto del Sol - even the Rosita are a far cry better in the same price range or cheaper.

Why subject a friend to a total dump just to save a little shoe leather? :lol:

Besides, the above places are actually closer to downtown.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Some of the sites I use to price compare:

-www.itravel2000.com
-www.canadatravels.com
-www.canadiantravel.com
-www.cheapticketscanada.com
-www.sunseekers.ca

I'm sure there are more out there if you look.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:37 pm

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

selloffvacations.com

Post by helenf » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:33 pm

I use selloffvacations.com for every booking. Never had any problems and they have always been the cheapest (although sometimes only by as little as $5.00).

Helen

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pauline2006 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:39 pm

You guys are giving such great advice!
And yes we will be flying out of Toronto!
As for the getaway....that made me laugh so hard..I neve thought of it as a frat house..LOL..and tha tit could be!
We have looked and the Beunoventura??? or whatever the name is is looking pretty good to me....thanks again for the advice so far

rosie

november

Post by rosie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:38 pm

I would be cautious in waiting too long, you might find that flights are full (for example from the west coast, Alaska Air is sold out Oct 27 - Nov 3) and you may find that your accomodation selection is very limited. We placed our TS in the rental pool for TG in Feb, it was rented within a week.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:41 pm

We go A1 and book charter flights...
We have never booked sooner than 3 weeks prior to our vacation..
We also have used Selloffvacations and would not hesitate to recommend them..

Whatever you choose to do I hope it works out for you..
Enjoy your vacation... :)

dgwick
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by dgwick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Another thing to look at, if your leaving date isn't important, sometimes a weekday departures are cheaper. We saved about $300 each by flying out on a Friday instead of Saturday.
Worked out better anyway, the Friday departure got us into PV around 4:00 PM, the Saturday departure would have had us arriving around midnight.

rosie

November book now or wait

Post by rosie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 pm

as the above poster has mentioned, weekdays are significantly less than weekend flights. We usually fly Tues or Weds, the difference is about $200 US p/round trip ticket. We don't fly charter or book AI so have no idea if the weekday fares would be impacted. I do know that Alaska Air is sold out mid Oct to mid Nov.
We generally book our next trip to PV 330 days out, the fares are reasonable and we like to know that we have seats for the time frame we prefer to travel. Plus it allows for enough time to schecule evrything around our travel dates. Spur of the moment is great, just very rarely works for us and I prefer the "peace of mind" that goes with being booked and paid for well in advance. JMO.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:27 am

I'm with you Rosie, unless you are flying on a charter you need to book ahead of time. I usually book my flight for Oct. in May or June. As Rosie said Alaska is all booked up already and when I was looking what was available was ridiculous in price. I was using FF miles and Alaska had nothing available so I went with Delta, one of their partners, for 1/2 the miles Alaska was charging.

A few years ago I waited until later to go for Thanksgiving and I ended up flying through Guad. it was that or don't go. Flying out of LA has me spoiled with a 2-1/2 hour direct flight. I don't want to fly all over the U.S. from L.A. to get to PV.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:52 pm

I bought our airfare and sent our condo deposit for late October back in mid March. Like Kat we travel out of LAX and are spoiled with the non-stops, which tend to sell out if you wait to long.

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pauline2006 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm

All the flights to Mexico from Toronto are non-stop. I have never had a stop over throughout all my travels flying out of Toronto which is great.
no if we fly out of buffalo NY, I think there may be a stop over!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Flights

Post by Jennybean » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:43 pm

All the flights to Mexico from Toronto are non-stop.
Yes...all the charters. If you are limiting your inquiry to just charters then you might want to book sooner rather than later as number of charters and number of seats are much more limited on charters than regular carriers. And the seat sales are far more scarce.

The advice you are being given is based on regular carriers, as you did not specify what KIND of flight you were looking at. Most of us don't particularly care for charter flights (too cramped, taxes too high, too many limits on MY vacation regarding when/where I can fly) so we tend to fly regular carriers more often.

Plus I know from my end of the country I have far more options to fly regular airlines than I do charters as well, plus far more seat sales on them.